• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So tell me about your favorite scandi. We're talking about a 3-4" drop point full tang with either high carbon or a quality stainless steel. I've seen the ESEE RB3, which I really like based on what I've seen on their site. I also think some of the Helles are nice. I might pick one up next year, and I'd like some opinions. I would really like one made by an INGO'er, but if that doesn't work out, I will hit up Knife Lady. But I want to hear what you like.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only Scandi I have with a full tang is a Condor Bushlore. I used it at the end of October to "create" my tinder, kindling, and bigger fuel during fire building practice and it worked really well. It's a fantastic deal for about $37.

All of my other Scandis are Moras. You can't beat them for carving & whittling wood, but they lack the full tang.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    And that's a nice looking knife, especially for that price. I don't plan on abusing it, but in a pinch I'd like to have the extra strength of the full tang. It looks like that is 1075, how do you like the edge properties?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And that's a nice looking knife, especially for that price. I don't plan on abusing it, but in a pinch I'd like to have the extra strength of the full tang. It looks like that is 1075, how do you like the edge properties?

It's also thin enough to be useful as a cutting tool. I think it's 1/8" at the spine.

The handle fits my hand really well too. I have the wood version, but I think the micarta is the same shape.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, I hear a lot a Mora's, and everyone agrees they are a lot ore knife than what the price would suggest. On the other end of my price spectrum, I'm thinking about checking out Battle Horse Knives at the next 1500. They have some nice looking stuff.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Well crud. I typed out a great reply but the computer ate it. My favorite customs. Brian andrews. Adventure sworn. Fiddleback forge.

Helle knives are very nice, so are bhk.

Mora makes an amzing knife for the money. Razor sharp. Come with a usable sheath. Easy to sharpen. And cheap enough that if you want use it till dull. Give it away and buy a new one :) here is a link to some destruction videos and threads to show you just what they can handle.
    https://www.google.com/search?site=...1j4.64.mobile-gws-hp..1.15.1675.3.BeY4m66dh24

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Thanks for the info. There are some major PPE fails in some of those videos, lol. I'm not sure I would be using bare hands and no safety glasses, or wearing sandals if I were trying to break a knife.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My current favorite that I own is my Helle Temagami, and is often my go to knife if I want to go bum around the woords.

The Blind Horse stuff is hard to beat too. I love my Bushcrafter from them and use it all the time.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, that Temagami is really nice. Between that and the BHK, which do you prefer? It seems the Helle, but how do they compare?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It's a tossup. I like the Helle better, but it's mostly due to aesthetics. The Blind Horse has a better sheath with the dangler setup. You can't go wrong with either.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Love my Helle Fire...

helle3.jpg

helle1.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It's a tossup. I like the Helle better, but it's mostly due to aesthetics. The Blind Horse has a better sheath with the dangler setup. You can't go wrong with either.

At this point, those two are the front runners. I like that BHK is made next door over in OH, but as you say, the Helle has it in the aesthetics. I'll probably grab a Mora too, at that price.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I guess I must have missed something, but Blind Horse closed their door last year. L.T. is now LT Wright knives and Mike is Battle Horse Knives. Blind Horse Knives are much sought after now, especially the one offs. Both men have taken some of the BHK caches with them.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Another vote for the Bushlore, Great knife for the money. I dont do alot of Bushcraft at all but I bought it as a working knife for hunting trips and what not. Holds a great edge.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I guess I must have missed something, but Blind Horse closed their door last year. L.T. is now LT Wright knives and Mike is Battle Horse Knives. Blind Horse Knives are much sought after now, especially the one offs. Both men have taken some of the BHK caches with them.

Yup. Basically, Battle Horse is Blind Horse (Dan), and L.T. is kind of doing his own thing that's a bit more custom. I'm really glad the Horse brand went to live on, because it's honestly one of my favorites. It's pretty wild how many models they have nowadays.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you're interested in a Helle, I've got a Fire in the classifieds I'd make a deal on. It's an awesome knife, I'm just trying to thin down the herd a bit.

That is tempting, to be sure. I think I'm going to look at some Battle Horse in January before I decide.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom