• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    ND, he didn't clean it up before starting his activity. Store it properly and this crap doesn't happen.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, the dumbbell would have been holding the shell casing down, so the bullet would've gotten all the velocity. Nothing like firing it from a barrel, but more than, say, baking it in the oven.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    LOLWAT!?

Mr. Evil Wrench sounds right, if the weight was holding the shell in place, and the force wasn't great enough to blow out just the back by itself, the bullet would have project forward. What a rare oddity!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I always thought the case would have exploded before shooting the bullet off

It would. Basically what the guy said didn't happen/Can't happen. period. The case would need to be almost fully supported in order to propel the bullet alone and not blow the case to pieces.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Okay, so I've got a story to tell.

First, get your free popcorn ...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Having been a rather inquisitive child (think I was somewhere around 10 y/o at the time), I recall one day examining a 22LR round and, noticing how much softer the lead bullet was in comparison to the brass casing, the though occurred to me that lead might melt at a relatively low temperature and ...wouldn't it be cool to see lead melt when held up to the heat of, say, a match ...or ...hey, why not that cigarette lighter over there??? :dunno:

So, grasping the shell between my left thumb and index finger (being sure to hold it far enough back so not to burn my digits with the flame ...HA! ...what insight I had, even at that age! ;)), I held the lighter with my right hand, and ever-so-carefully brought the flame and round closer together.

Bad news: I was not able to confirm at what temperature lead melted.

Good news: I still have all my digits, and they all work (though, I nearly took off a toe in an incident involving a chain saw, but that's another story).

I'm here to tell you that, at least with 22LR, velocities are much, much, lower without the use of such an instrument to contain and direct the energy of exploding gun powder. The actual bullet did travel some distance, though it wasn't able to penetrate anything in its path. The shell casing ruptured in the explosion down one side, not unlike a peeled banana, though it also did not travel far.

While the phrase "no blood, no foul" may be true in a pick-up game of basketball, I would classify my "experiment" as a ND ...without the use of a firearm.

Yeah, I know ...and they gave me my LTCH anway. :D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It would. Basically what the guy said didn't happen/Can't happen. period. The case would need to be almost fully supported in order to propel the bullet alone and not blow the case to pieces.

Exactly my thoughts...I guess it's time to email mythbusters

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay, so I've got a story to tell.

First, get your free popcorn ...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Having been a rather inquisitive child (think I was somewhere around 10 y/o at the time), I recall one day examining a 22LR round and, noticing how much softer the lead bullet was in comparison to the brass casing, the though occurred to me that lead might melt at a relatively low temperature and ...wouldn't it be cool to see lead melt when held up to the heat of, say, a match ...or ...hey, why not that cigarette lighter over there??? :dunno:

So, grasping the shell between my left thumb and index finger (being sure to hold it far enough back so not to burn my digits with the flame ...HA! ...what insight I had, even at that age! ;)), I held the lighter with my right hand, and ever-so-carefully brought the flame and round closer together.

Bad news: I was not able to confirm at what temperature lead melted.

Good news: I still have all my digits, and they all work (though, I nearly took off a toe in an incident involving a chain saw, but that's another story).

I'm here to tell you that, at least with 22LR, velocities are much, much, lower without the use of such an instrument to contain and direct the energy of exploding gun powder. The actual bullet did travel some distance, though it wasn't able to penetrate anything in its path. The shell casing ruptured in the explosion down one side, not unlike a peeled banana, though it also did not travel far.

While the phrase "no blood, no foul" may be true in a pick-up game of basketball, I would classify my "experiment" as a ND ...without the use of a firearm.

Yeah, I know ...and they gave me my LTCH anway. :D

How is it that you lived through child hood?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

This.

Simple physics.

I think that someone in the machine-shop industry has an experiment to perform:

Secure a trashed-out pistol barrel. Cut said barrel down to the point that only the cartridge case is covered by the chamber. Leave the whole bullet exposed. Set off the cartridge. Measure results.

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Renegade762
    Top Bottom