• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Anyone have any experience or knowledge in creating pistol grips(wood, delrin, rubber) with a window and cutting away mags to match the window. I'm thinking of trying to loosely recreate an ASP 9/Devel 39 with a 3914 or cs9 and would like to start with the windowed grips. I would like to know if anyone has created or attempted using Acrylic, Lexan, etc. I had considered only windowing the left grip panel to maintain some structural integrity within the mag.

after searching extensively online I can't find much helpful information.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Perhaps clear plastic grips? Would keep anything from getting in, and instead of a full window in the magazine I would go with a series of witness holes. Easier to do and less room for grit to get in the magazine.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    If grips are thick enough, try using a Lexan insert. Lexan is a form of plexiglass. Commen in 1/8 and 1/4 inch thicknesses and resistant to chemical, but not chemical proof.
    I'd epoxy it to lessen chance of it coming loose and blocking mag insertion.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Good luck and keep 'em in the black.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The host gun I would like use for this project is a Smith and Wesson 3914, which supposedly was Smiths factory answer to the ASP 9 and Devel M39. This means that I will either have to modify the factory Delrin grips or aftermarket Hogues. Also the mag already has witness holes on both sides, so I had considered cutting a small piece of the mag on one side out using the witness holes as borders. I referenced Lexan above as it seems to be the best option but am unsure of how precisely it can be cut or sanded without getting cloudy.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The host gun I would like use for this project is a Smith and Wesson 3914, which supposedly was Smiths factory answer to the ASP 9 and Devel M39. This means that I will either have to modify the factory Delrin grips or aftermarket Hogues. Also the mag already has witness holes on both sides, so I had considered cutting a small piece of the mag on one side out using the witness holes as borders. I referenced Lexan above as it seems to be the best option but am unsure of how precisely it can be cut or sanded without getting cloudy.

Lexan cuts great and you can sand to shape, buff and polish it. It also drills well. Unlike Plexiglass. If you are creative you should be good to go. Give it a try.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    peterock - You MAY have just created a whole business for yourself!

Y'know, this late in the game, you'd think 'window' mags and grips would pretty much be 'standard' equipment on EVERY semi-auto handgun (don't think they'd be much help on revolvers, LOL).

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My question is whether I should try to cut and epoxy a Lexan Window in the Delrin grips that come stock, or if I should attempt on the Hogue aftermarket grips? I have access to extra Delrin grips or could buy the Hogues for $17. The window on the Delrin would have to be very thin to remain somewhat stock in appearance.

second stage would be to perform a full carry melt and mill off the left side decocker/safety. Finish in matte black cerakote. Anyone know a good smith in Indy who would melt the slide for a reasonable price?

30 cal- how do you like the guttersnipe?

Top Bottom