• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rylosplanet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Those of you who are interested in learning primitive survival for yourselves, I strongly recommend Tom Brown's Tracking, Nature, & Wilderness Survival school. I've been to the school myself and each experience was just epic. I would also suggest reading some of Tom Brown's books. He basically teaches you to walk into the wilderness with nothing and thrive. No amount of gear or survival gadget will prepare you the way his training will. I've posted his website below.

Tom Brown's Tracker School

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I did the class a few years ago with my brothers, really great! We still use quite a few of the practices he taught when hunting in the mountains. Hood's Woods is another series I would recommend for veiwing.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Here you go!

Home

I have the 26 DVD collection, gift from my father. If you like Tom Brown (and his knives), you'll enjoy the DVD's that Ron and his crew has put out.

If you want to give them a try, PM me, maybe we can work something out.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    We hunt and camp in 6 states each year. Yeah I've got the "Outside" covered too. My 3 boys love watching the videos, then we practice fire and shelter skills on our outings. They never want to use matches to start campfires anymore.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We hunt and camp in 6 states each year. Yeah I've got the "Outside" covered too. My 3 boys love watching the videos, then we practice fire and shelter skills on our outings. They never want to use matches to start campfires anymore.

Excellent!

In my trade I encounter numerous people young and old who believe they have the skills necessary because they have studied (books, survival manuals, cable TV ). But they fail to realize that their education is incomplete until they dirty their hands, feel grumbling in their bellys, blister their feet, and actually understand by doing.

Education is incomplete until the knowledge is applied.

indyac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Hancock County
    Where?

Which location did you go to? I have figure that New Jersey might be the closest approximation to IN vs. Florida or California.

Thanks for the tip.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    The New Jersey Pine Barrens is where Tom Brown grew up, and is what I would call their classic site.

I haven't been, it's high on the to-do list though.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    We have done the CA class, the second time was the advanced. I was living on that coast at the time. It is well worth the money, a real confidence builder. Two weeks in the Rockies with a backpack is not a big deal anymore, and we're better hunters because of it.

rylosplanet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I enjoyed the New Jersey location. It was, after all, where Tom trained under the tutledge of Stalking Wolf. It was kind of neat to visit Grandfather's camp, and see a lot of the areas that Tom talked about in his books. However, there are locations in California (the land of fruits & nuts) and Florida as well. I'm working my way to the Scout level classes. I highly recommend going. It's worth every penny. You'll just have to take my word for it. The best thing is....you get practical outdoor application and training. I was trapping in Kentucky last year and set two deadfalls that I learned at Tom's classes. I caught a coon in each deadfall. I've started several fires from his methods. I've spent the night in debris huts when it was 16 degrees outside. His skills really help develop confidence.

Top Bottom