• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Thinking to start powder coating my cast boolits, but it occurs to me 22lr is often plain lead,( lightly lubed/waxed) and nobody worries about it. I mostly load midrange 38/357 cast, sometimes 30/30 low velocity 800-1000 fps cast w/ alox- JPW lube. Any need to worry about getting fancier?

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    If you aren't getting leading, then stick with the what you're using. It doesn't get much easier than tumble lubing. I've used alox/JPW on .357 maxi loads without leading. Fit is critical.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A) I have a rimfire that will lead with cheap HV ammo
    B) most rimfire ammo doesn't go fast enough to lead barrels, plus the lube on them helps a bunch

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Oh, a 22 will lead up just fine. Certain types are notorious for it, Remington Thundertur...bolts in particular. Reason for the lube on 22s is to reduce if not eliminate leading, just the same as lubing centerfire lead bullets.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Oh, a 22 will lead up just fine. Certain types are notorious for it, Remington Thundertur...bolts in particular. Reason for the lube on 22s is to reduce if not eliminate leading, just the same as lubing centerfire lead bullets.

I bought a bunch of thunderbolts back when 22 ammo was scarce. Worse stuff I've ever used. I coated some with the alox/JPW lube but haven't tried 'em out yet. With the nice weather this week, I might get out and shoot a few.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Some 22 rifles will lead up faster than others. It is all in the type of rifling and in some cases the chatter of the machine making the grooves in the barrel. A barrel with chatter leads or coppers up quickly.

Some ammo will lead up quickly but some of that is also the lube getting lead dust so to speak on it. I find the over lubed 22 ammo is mainly dirty that catches dust and dirt.

Ahooting marlin rifles and reloading for them has caused me to slug barrels and find that size to shoot. Some are tight but most are a little loose for many bullets. Push stuff fast and you can get leading fast. Cast bullets inn35 rem and 30/30 are cool to make and shoot. After a while you see a pattern that you can follow and get nice results.

Most of my leading issues were either pushing to soft a lead mix to fast. A little harder lead was fine. A little slower FPS was fine with the softer ones.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good fit and Alox will take you a long way.

22lr is a heeled design, so all of the lube is on the outside.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom