• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Under the 2nd Amendment we don't have to need all we have to do is want. We now have the right to bare arms it doesn't give a definition to what we need or want. After all the term of assault rifles by definition is not a semi auto rifle don't let the looks fool you.

C.M.Burns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Indy
    I really do not see the need to buy 9, 10 rounders instead of 3, 30 round mags just to practice at the range. Logical thinking is convenient. But what do I know?

joale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    I really do not see the need to buy 9, 10 rounders instead of 3, 30 round mags just to practice at the range. Logical thinking is convenient. But what do I know?

Because standard capacity 30 rd mags have been redefined as "high capacity" and are therefore evil. 30 rd magazines have been known to kill people all by themselves...which increases their 'capacity' to high...and their evilness. :)

Anyway...great article.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Under the 2nd Amendment we don't have to need all we have to do is want. We now have the right to bare arms it doesn't give a definition to what we need or want. After all the term of assault rifles by definition is not a semi auto rifle don't let the looks fool you.

Exactly. This is the reason I'm betting that "may issue" states that face a legal challenge will soon have to switch to "shall issue."

The burden to prevent a right is on the state to provide a legitimate reason. It's not the same as a privilege (like driving on the roads) where YOU have to prove your ability and so forth (licensing, insurance, vehicle inspections, etc.).

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    This is a well written article and worth the time to read it. His first book "Essential Liberty" is also a must read for anyone involved in the shooting sports and those who cherish the 2nd Amendment. Thanks for posting!:yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    "Why do you need 'assault rifles'?"...

Guys, thanks for the kind words about my "assault rifle" essay and my novel. This seems like a great forum! I will check back from time to time. We're all in this fight together and I'd love to hear from any of you, either here on the forum or via email.

Take care,
    Rob Olive - Author, Essential Liberty...a novel that paints a disturbing picture of what firearm confiscation in the United States might look like.

dunk50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    South Bend
    Rob, the short answer for me is because our forefathers saw the need for US (citizens) to be able to protect ourselves FROM THE GOVERNMENT! Seems that they understood the potential for OUR GOVERNMENT TO GET OUT OF CONTROL!!:welcome:

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Great article and thanks for sharing, I can not take credit for this quote, but one of answers to who needs an "Assault Weapon" is; This is a free society! The burden of proof in a free society is not upon people who want to exercise rights; it's on people who want to restrict rights.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Because standard capacity 30 rd mags have been redefined as "high capacity" and are therefore evil. 30 rd magazines have been known to kill people all by themselves...which increases their 'capacity' to high...and their evilness. :)

Anyway...great article.

YES THIS, I have posted in at least two other threads, that 20 & 30 round Magazines, are STANDARD ISSUE, for the Army, and the USMC. The Media, calls them "high Cap."
    I have been wanting to say this for a while now ..... I want and NEED an AR, and 20 & 30 round mag., because, the BAD GUYS have them, so the GOOD GUYS, and Girls, NEED them ..... You, CANNOT win a gunfight, if YOU are out-gunned !!!!! :twocents: JMHO .....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Welcome, Rob, and thanks for both your article and your presence here. I look forward to your posts.

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks Bill, and the rest. I will try to pop by as I can. Very busy year trying to promote Essential Liberty and write a sequel, but I love gun forums, and this one honestly seems more active than many I visit and appears to be full of good info. Good, solid, RED state like Indiana...what else should I expect, huh?:)

Regarding the subject of my essay, my primary goal was (and is) to try to provide an answer as to why we "need" THOSE types of guns; not merely what the purpose of the 2A was (and is). And here's the short version: "[FONT=&quot]...to instill enough fear in those bent on imposing their will upon us to stop them from doing so. We require a sufficient deterrent for that possibility to be realistic. Small arms of the nature described above—fed by the devices they were intended to be used with (erroneously called “high-capacity” magazines)—in the hands of millions of determined Americans are that deterrent. A duck-hunting shotgun or bolt-action deer rifle is not."

Some have criticized my answer by asking what good an AR-15 would be against an Abrams Tank, F-18, etc. But they're missing the point. Our "fight," if it ever came to that, would be against (mostly federal) law enforcement, not our military. As we saw today with a petition signed by over 1,100 current and former Army SF, the vast majority of the military is on OUR side, particularly from within the Special Operations community.

And against those odds, I like our chances. I'm not trying to incite anything; only to point out that the original intent of the 2A is alive and well, and backed up by the types of firearms currently at the center of this debate.

Sorry for the long windedness. I tend to do that...

Rob Olive, Author - Essential Liberty
    [/FONT]

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom