• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coda80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    first off, when the girls asked me to shoot the bb gun i was doing yardwork. i was sitting in my lawn chair watching as the where shooting some paper targets i put up for them. when i said i was doing yardwork it was only to convey the fact that since i was already outside so it was not an inconvenience.

second, i did talk to my friend for a while about gun rights because im passionate about that subject. he did agree to go shooting with me so that was a win for me.

third, i should have called the girls mom. i know that there are anti gun people out there and i should always anticipate this reaction no matter how bizarre the thought process.

coda80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    oh, and yes i am a huge um football fan. always have been. always will be. its the history of the program and my family history. LETS GO BLUE!

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I think everyone has a right to their own opinion. If mom doesn't want her child around firearms when they aren't around, or for that matter, since her daughter isn't familiar with guns that's OK. If mom and dad have no family history with guns, its OK to think that their daughter might be in harms way. Especially if they knew that you weren't supervising the situation.
    The views of your friends may not line up with yours, but they aren't wrong just because their opinion differs from you. Is this worth loosing a friendship over... ?

Yes, everyone has a right to their own opinion, but it doesn't mean their opinion is right.

As the OP has already stated, he WAS supervising them, so there is very little excuse to get angry over what happened.

As I said before, people can have what ever opinion they want, but people can be wrong about their opinion. If you hold an opinion that the world is flat, you're wrong. Just like this guy's friend is wrong that if we ban all firearms then crime will cease to exist. This one specific issue may not be worth losing a friend over, but when you finally go through the transformation of being a gun owner, understanding what the 2nd Amendment means, and look at the facts of anti-gun vs pro-gun debate issues it becomes very easy to not get along with people who haven't woken up yet, because you are two completely different people. His friend sounds like he's still dreaming. Hopefully after they go shooting and have a few talks, he'll come around to the enlightened side.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    when you finally go through the transformation of being a gun owner, understanding what the 2nd Amendment means, and look at the facts of anti-gun vs pro-gun debate issues it becomes very easy to not get along with people who haven't woken up yet, because you are two completely different people. His friend sounds like he's still dreaming. Hopefully after they go shooting and have a few talks, he'll come around to the enlightened side.

Indeed.

One who is willing to take the responsibility and duty to protect oneself and family/friends/maybe even the public, to the death of an attacker if necessary, honestly is another species than the people who want the police to do it for them, or believe there's a way to make crime "go away."

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm pretty sure TV is the worst used invention ever. Haven't been a TV watcher for years. Don't have cable, nor do I have a converter box so don't think I will be anytime soon either. (aside from at friends houses).
    Ditto.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to talk to the childs parents and first apologize for not speaking with them, and then ask if they would be willing to go shooting with you at some point. Even offer to pay for the bullets and range time if you are able to. If they don't want to then maybe they'd like to try the BB gun. Have a BBQ or something so that you can show them how to be safe, and casually explain your views. The worst that will happen is they wont change thier minds.

Only if its an OCBBQ. :):

Top Bottom