• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitemamba91

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2017
    South Bend
    So i finally decided im building a "do everything" rifle and im having a tough time deciding on which style of trigger. Its a 16" midlength build i plan on putting a lpvo on. Should i put a single stage like the alg act or a 2 stage. Looking for something i can run fast but also shoot longer range effectively. Thanks in advance for any tips

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    One of the best "bang-for-the buck" triggers, is the Larue MBT imo. It can be had in a couple of different styles (flat bow, curved, etc.), all for around $87. It's precise, repeatable, works fast, works slow. It's a two-stage and the wall is predictable.

The other 2-stage trigger I like is the Geissele SSA-E. It's difficult to find a better trigger for a battle rifle, with precision in mind. They aren't cheap, but it's typically the trigger to which all others are compared.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If I woke up in your shoes I would go with a single stage enhanced milspec type trigger like the ALG. I have a similar type rifle set-up and I use the enhanced BCM trigger and like it a lot. It breaks right around 5 pounds and feels the same every time. Very little takeup.

I do have a Geissele SD-E which is essential the same as the SSA-E but with the flat trigger face. I have it in a lower that was part of an 18" SPR build, but I no longer have the upper. It's an awesome two-stage trigger for slow, methodical bench rest or prone shooting. No way I would want that light candy cane trigger break on a do it all fighting rifle. Stage 2 breaks at like 1.2 lbs. It's just much too sensitive for my comfort level in that application.

whitemamba91

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2017
    South Bend
    If I woke up in your shoes I would go with a single stage enhanced milspec type trigger like the ALG. I have a similar type rifle set-up and I use the enhanced BCM trigger and like it a lot. It breaks right around 5 pounds and feels the same every time. Very little takeup.

I do have a Geissele SD-E which is essential the same as the SSA-E but with the flat trigger face. I have it in a lower that was part of an 18" SPR build, but I no longer have the upper. It's an awesome two-stage trigger for slow, methodical bench rest or prone shooting. No way I would want that light candy cane trigger break on a do it all fighting rifle. Stage 2 breaks at like 1.2 lbs. It's just much too sensitive for my comfort level in that application.
    Yeah kinda how i was thinking but i know everyone always goes 2 stage. I know the larue 2 stage is about 3.5 pound break and comes with another spring to make it 6 pounds. Just never have had a 2 stage all my other ars have milspec type triggers. Also saw that geissele is making a single stage

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I believe the ALG comes with two springs if you decide you want to reduce the weight a little. They're also relatively affordable compared to the Geissele. Larue also makes a 1 stage trigger. People also seem to like the BCM PNT.

I ended up buying the ALG because it was in stock, suggested by a couple folks on the forum, and in my price range. Growing up with hunters, I never really got the 2 stage thing, but many folks swear by 'em. If you can shoot sufficiently well (as defined by your expectations) with a 1 stage trigger, I don't see any reason to add something you need to spend and train extra just to part of the in-crowd. You might come to a different conclusion for your situation, and that's okay.

When I was looking at this (8 months back, yeah, I was late to the AR party), I must've seen reviews for 50 triggers. You can get fifty recommendations for triggers and many of them will agree that most of the list are fine/good/great triggers. It's a good thing when it's difficult to make a bad purchase.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Geissele SD-C or Larue MBT2S.

I have these in my rifles, two have the geissele two have the larue can't go wrong with either.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    So i finally decided im building a "do everything" rifle and im having a tough time deciding on which style of trigger. Its a 16" midlength build i plan on putting a lpvo on. Should i put a single stage like the alg act or a 2 stage. Looking for something i can run fast but also shoot longer range effectively. Thanks in advance for any tips

Larue MBT-2S (straight bow) I have had them all from Geissele to TriggerTech! You cannot beat Larue for the money IMO.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I apparently cannot edit my previous post to add links, but here are some links to budget (sub-$100) triggers.

Single stage:
    Larue single stage (also avail. in flat blade): https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-1s-trigger/
    ALG ACT (can find in other places and usually $10 cheaper if shopping around): https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html
    Centurion advanced mil-spec (similar to ACT? Or maybe the cheaper ALG QMS): https://centurionarms.com/triggers/centurion-arms-llc-advanced-mil-spec-trigger-amt/
    BCM PNT (can find elsewhere, too): https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-pnt-trigger-assembly-ar15/

Two-stage:
    Larue Two-stage (also avail. in flat blade): https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/
    Centurion 2-stage: https://centurionarms.com/triggers/centurion-arms-llc-advanced-sniper-trigger-ast-2-stage-trigger/

I haven't tried the Centurion stuff, but there is a code for them to get 10% off parts: SAS10 (if it's still valid). Centurion is in Indiana and owned by a former SEAL.

Good luck finding the Larue in stock (it's why I went ALG ACT). It seems that the Larue 2-stage is in stock at the moment but not single-stage.

I'm no gun guru, so I can't give any detailed feedback/comparisons on the above. There are umpteen videos on YouTube comparing AR triggers.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have heard the favorable comments on the LaRue triggers, but have never tried one. It's understood that they are less expensive, but how do they compare to the Geissele's and Hyperfires that I have run?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I have heard the favorable comments on the LaRue triggers, but have never tried one. It's understood that they are less expensive, but how do they compare to the Geissele's and Hyperfires that I have run?
    I think if you're a trigger snob they may not knock your socks off. Fine enough, but perhaps lacking for some preferences. :spend:
    Personally, the 2-stage is exactly as advertised. 2# take-up, #2.5 break - no creep. I'm also not reloading for sub-MOA groups, so YMMV.

But if you're looking to replace any mil-spec trigger and wondering if you should spend $90 or $150, it's gonna be damn tough to feel those extra dollars.
    And at their price point, I'd say you'd better have some convincing argument for choosing a different option.

Probably not too difficult to re-sell either, if for whatever reason you decide you don't like it. Known quantity - high quality.

whitemamba91

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2017
    South Bend
    Ended up ordering the alg. My dad has a 2 stage in his ar so next time i go to the range im gunna try running his and see if i like it. If so ill just move the alg to another rifle.

Really appreciate all the advice from everyone!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Have been a big fan of ALG's ACT.

Recently have went with our own Indiana-based "Advanced Mil-Spec" trigger on a few newer rifles.

Monty does fine work and we are blessed to have him.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ended up ordering the alg. My dad has a 2 stage in his ar so next time i go to the range im gunna try running his and see if i like it. If so ill just move the alg to another rifle.

Really appreciate all the advice from everyone!
    Any updates? How did you like the two stage trigger?

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    One I really like that kinda flies under the radar is the Geissele Super Tricon. Technically breaks like an SSA, but a unique trigger design that kinda makes it more in-between the SSA and SSA-E.

Top Bottom