• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I like the Aimpoints for the size and durability, but I prefer the Eotechs reticle. I'm replacing Eotech batteries right now. They don't live long.
    Try to find something you like, and go with it. I don't have two that are the same, but I really like all of them.

CompM4, T1, T2, exps2, and a 552. I broke one Eotech, and they sent me a check. You can't go wrong with any of the good ones.

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Trying to decide between an Aimpoint Pro and an EOTech 512. Both are about the same price and the EOTech comes with a camera. Thoughts?
    EOTech
    Aimpoint Pro

Edit: This isn't for the SBR. This is for a 16" carbine.

I had that eotech and returned it when they started the buy back. I like the reticle, but mine would never be the same zero between trips out. I recently got the Aimpoint Pro. Only thing I don't like so far is the GIANT knob sticking out the side of the mount. It seems to be solid on zero the couple times I have shot it so far.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I have a few Eotech HWS optics and like them. Just bought the EXPS 2 for my newest build. Any red dot including the all mighty Aimpoint has thermal drift. It's been proven with the comp M4 along with the EOtech and MRO from Trijicon. Aimpoint is the only company that hasn't admitted it yet. That being said find something you like and go with it. None of the major players have a perfect track record.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    1. Don't read too much into the EOTech buyback. Most of us will not experience those environments. For the gentleman that had an issue with his zero drifting: keep in mind that everything man made can and will have flaws. I'm sure even companies like Nightforce and Schmidt & Bender have manufacturing defects that accidentally make it out of their shipping dept.

2. I have had Aimpoint: Comp M3s & T-1 micros; Trijicon MRO; and Eotech EXPS series. All are great optics. But it really comes down to personal opinion. I prefer the battery life and the large ocular lens of the MRO. But that's just my opinion. I do not have astigmatism. All 3 companies have had a great history of use. But what you really need to do is this: find someone or a group of someones that have the optics you're looking at, and try them out. If you happen to find yourself at Wildcat when I'm going to be there, I'd be more than happy to bring out an MRO and EXPS for you to try out yourself and decide for yourself. If you are leaning towards EOTech, I'd recommend the XPS / EXPS for size / weight and battery life.

3. Some other things to consider: I typically recommend buying the best optic that you can afford. But it also goes to say: be reasonable. How much use and abuse are you actually going to put it through? Is it a plinker that is only going to see 100 rounds twice a year? Or do you plan on running it through 2-3 carbine classes a year and 3-gun? Also, don't go broke on putting the rifle together. If you have $X to spend and you spend all of $X, then you have $0 left over for ammo. Most of us are running gear that is more capable than we are. Don't forget the need to practice.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I started with a cheap $20-$30 small red-dot off Amazon a year or so ago. It had great glass and adjustable intensity of the dot, along with both red and green dots. I put about 2,000 rounds through my rifle with it.

And I never took it off.

I now have a second el-cheap-o model for another rifle with several hundred rounds under it. I have them both mounted on elevated QD piccatinny rail sections that cost about $10 each.

I don't know what these other sights will do beyond a simple red-dot with clear optics and adjustable intensity with multiple color options. I'm sure someone will attempt to enlighten me what those extra c-notes actually get you beyond what $25 will get you. It's not like the technology is new or a $300+ red-dots are more reliable (see above paragraph) or clearer, my glass is stellar. Not trying to pee in your Wheaties, but I think you're all being taken for a ride. This is a relatively simple device that doesn't need to break the bank. Perhaps I should buy 5 spares...just in case, and still have $$ to spare.

Flame away. I bought a flame suit with all the money that I saved, LOL.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I like the Aimpoints for the size and durability, but I prefer the Eotechs reticle.

For those that like the Eotech circle-dot reticle then you might want to consider one of these from Holosun. I've got one on an AR pistol and it works well so far. Only about 100 rounds so time will tell. I like the larger window of the Eotech better but when I shoot both eyes open the smaller optic works well for me. I have an H1 on another rifle as well as the Primary Arms clones so I'm used to the form factor. These supposedly give 20,000 hours battery life using the circle dot at mid brightness and 50,000 using just the dot (which is a selectable option). It has the mounting footprint of the Aimpoints so it can work on existing T-1 mounts you may have.

HS503C Circle Dot & Solar
    Holosun Paralow HS503C Circle Dot Sight

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I started with a cheap $20-$30 small red-dot off Amazon a year or so ago. It had great glass and adjustable intensity of the dot, along with both red and green dots. I put about 2,000 rounds through my rifle with it.

And I never took it off.

I now have a second el-cheap-o model for another rifle with several hundred rounds under it. I have them both mounted on elevated QD piccatinny rail sections that cost about $10 each.

I don't know what these other sights will do beyond a simple red-dot with clear optics and adjustable intensity with multiple color options. I'm sure someone will attempt to enlighten me what those extra c-notes actually get you beyond what $25 will get you. It's not like the technology is new or a $300+ red-dots are more reliable (see above paragraph) or clearer, my glass is stellar. Not trying to pee in your Wheaties, but I think you're all being taken for a ride. This is a relatively simple device that doesn't need to break the bank. Perhaps I should buy 5 spares...just in case, and still have $$ to spare.

Flame away. I bought a flame suit with all the money that I saved, LOL.

No Flame. I'm glad to see that your RDS has worked well for you. But I developed my opinion from the exact opposite experience. I too started with a cheap optic from either Amazon or Ebay. But mine didn't last 2k rounds. In fact, it went out the very first shot. I remember it very clearly because I was livid. I don't remember the brand, but it was an ACOG clone. This had happened on the 2nd cheap optic I bought too (which I believe was a Sun Optics), but I think it at least went a month. From that point, I think I ran straight irons for a couple of years until I had money saved up to buy a used Aimpoint CompM3. I have not experienced a failure since then.

Now, the cheap optics from that day might be a bit different from some of the stuff today. I don't know how long Primary Arms has been around, but I don't remember them being around when I first got into rifles. If you were to get one of their red dots, I'd guarantee it'd last longer than one of your Ebay sights.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I recently talked to a guy who does weapon testing @ Crane NSW. He said Eotechs are still experiencing MOA drift while the AimPoints are not. I take his word. YMMV

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    For those that like the Eotech circle-dot reticle then you might want to consider one of these from Holosun. I've got one on an AR pistol and it works well so far. Only about 100 rounds so time will tell. I like the larger window of the Eotech better but when I shoot both eyes open the smaller optic works well for me. I have an H1 on another rifle as well as the Primary Arms clones so I'm used to the form factor. These supposedly give 20,000 hours battery life using the circle dot at mid brightness and 50,000 using just the dot (which is a selectable option). It has the mounting footprint of the Aimpoints so it can work on existing T-1 mounts you may have.

HS503C Circle Dot & Solar
    Holosun Paralow HS503C Circle Dot Sight

Ive read quite a bit about them, just haven't played with one yet. Reviews all seem pretty positive. I will probably pick one up in the future.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I recently replaced my Vortex Sparc with a Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot. I don't need my rifle to depend my life on like an officer or infantryman. It's also not going to see the abuse that such rifles might endure. I simply need something that will hold zero and not break due to recoil. The Sparc worked... until it didn't anymore. I was constantly replacing batteries and it finally broke and forced me to replace it.

https://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms...=8-1&keywords=primary+arms+advanced+micro+dot

I haven't replaced the battery since I bought it, which was back in August. The battery life is relatively close like an Aimpoint. It's rugged enough for the range and I wouldn't hesitate to take it to competitions or hunting in fear of it breaking... so if your budget is more to the price of the Sparc, I highly recommend it over the Sparc and Strikefire and it will save you a lot of money compared to the Aimpoints, EOtech's, and Trijicon's.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I have the Holosun HS515C and it's a great red dot.
    I just went through a 3 day tactical rifle class in Ohio with it and it was great.
    Rang steels at 100, 150, 200, and 250 yards with it no problemo.
    The quick detach held tight and I had some of the best groups in the class when we did our 100 yard warm up shots in the morning.
    For the money, it's tough to beat.
    I have 2 of them now :cool:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I want to thank everyone for their input and comments. I decided on 3 of them and my get the Holosun too. It depends on how I end up upgrading and rearranging what I have. I bought 3 of the Vortex's. I bought the Spitfire AR, Spitfire 2 and Strikefire 2. All the reviews I've read on them as well as the comments on here and from people I trust convinced me to buy them. While I like the EOTech and Aimpoint none of these AR's will see shooting conditions they are designed for. I'll post some pics when I get them mounted and sighted in. In the meantime following INGO rules here's the required picture.

new-optics.jpg

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Midway had a great deal on the Strikefire II, so I picked one up about 3 weeks ago. Finally got to the range with it on Saturday. Got it zeroed at 50yd. They say the dot is 4 MOA, but while playing with mine, I think it was more like 6 MOA. Anything dimmer and it was too hard to set apart from the background. Still, I'm happy with it.

Top Bottom