• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The answer to that question is that the 1911 guys will tell you a bazillion reasons why to choose the 1911 and the Glock guys will tell you a bazillion reasons to choose the Glock. My best advise is to familiarize yourself with each and pick the one that you feel most comfortable with. All that being said, either choice will likely serve you very well.

Paxton383

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    Liberty
    i like both. i didnt know very much about the rock island though. have heard they were junk but also heard they were great guns for the price. how reliable are they? would hate to pull it on someone and then it not fire

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    i like both. i didnt know very much about the rock island though. have heard they were junk but also heard they were great guns for the price. how reliable are they? would hate to pull it on someone and then it not fire

Are you comfortable with the 1911 and the single action or just pulling it out and shooting. I like both, but I prefer the Glock for carrying.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I carry a Glock. I even carry a full size Glock, a G22. I have a 1911 and other handguns the only other handgun I carry is a Kel-Tec PF9 because it's a pocket gun and more convenient sometimes.

I carry the Glock (in a holster, never Mexican carry) because number one its reliable. Number two it has no external safeties to worry about, I pull it, I point it, I pull the trigger it goes bang without having to do anything else. All I have to remember is not to put my finger on the trigger unless I'm going to shoot it and hell that is instinct and common sense.

Because so many people are applying for LTCH now and many of those people have never owned a gun before I would like to say this.

I have some strong feelings about carrying a handgun. If you are going to carry then you should train. If you are going to carry understand it's a responsibility. Handle your weapon, maintain your weapon, become familiar with your weapon. At the very least join a range and shoot at targets on a regular basis. Learn all you can, understand the law, understand the use of deadly force. And above all be aware of your surroundings al all times.

Be safe and enjoy. I will jump off the soap box now.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    The answer to that question is that the 1911 guys will tell you a bazillion reasons why to choose the 1911 and the Glock guys will tell you a bazillion reasons to choose the Glock. My best advise is to familiarize yourself with each and pick the one that you feel most comfortable with. All that being said, either choice will likely serve you very well.
    :+1:

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    what you need to do is go out, handle both, and see which one you prefer. Look at handling characteristics, ease of concealment for YOU (not what others say) and weight. Many people carry glocks and many carry 1911's. Its strictly a personal choice, and always remember, a gun left at home is worthless, so dont convince yourself you need "x" when its not practical.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    My vote goes to glock, point, pull the trigger, bang, every time. Granted I have never shot a 1911 but I bought mine for carry purposes. Anything you can throw in the mud, water, sand, etc and come out shooting is a + in my book. I clean my G19 religiously but it is nice knowing that i don't have to and it will still perform flawlessly.

But like a few others have said, choose what YOU think will fit YOU best,

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    which one

just as well buy both, decide then sell me the other. i like em all. if you don`t like one of them i`ll buy it!!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The 1911, as is demonstrated by the fact that we own one, but I will never again touch a Glock 23. Of all teh guns I've owned, the 23 was one of two that were horridly unreliable.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

I've never heard anybody who actually knows anything about Rock Island Armory's 1911s refer to them as "junk." There ARE a whole bunch of gun snobs out there that get snooty if you don't spend hundreds more dollars on a gun than you need to.

My wife, best friend, and step-father all own RIA 1911s. None have had a bit of trouble with them. They have been flawlessly reliable, and are quite accurate.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The 1911, as is demonstrated by the fact that we own one, but I will never again touch a Glock 23. Of all teh guns I've owned, the 23 was one of two that were horridly unreliable.

One things about Glocks, they sure have earned a reputation for reliability right out of the box. That doesn't mean there aren't lemons out there, though.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    hang on one second guys, he said the rock island 1911 or the glock 23 from a quality standpoint alone, the glock should be the pick. If you pick a different 1911 which was of higher quality then it would be debatable. For this question from the OP though, I am giving my vote for the Glock 23

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Explain please?

It failed to feed every 30-40 rounds, with a number of different shooters. It was a POS.

My Glock 19 was a flawless performer, and somewhat more pleasant to shoot. I used to think my experience with the 23 was an anomoly, but I just read a thread the other day about police departments also having issues with .40 cal Glocks.

Other issues I have with Glocks is the manufacturers' recommendation against cast bullets, and the propensity for some of them in some calibers to blow up, with a frequency that seems to exceed other guns.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    hang on one second guys, he said the rock island 1911 or the glock 23 from a quality standpoint alone, the glock should be the pick. If you pick a different 1911 which was of higher quality then it would be debatable. For this question from the OP though, I am giving my vote for the Glock 23

I would be wildly interested in being shown how the Glock is higher quality than the Rock Island guns. How is a gun with a reputation for flawless function and outstanding accuracy, like the RIA, somehow lacking in quality? I know of at least one torture test where the Rock survived tests that more expensive guns could not.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom