Where do you keep your Home Defense Shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I keep mine leaned up against the wall by my head board, depends on how well you trust your kids with firearms. It's always better to be safe than sorry. On a side note, I never leave a round chambered in my shotty, the sound of racking a 12 gauge is deterent enough most of the time.

And why not?
    1-You are adding time to your reponse, seconds count.
    2-You may flub up the racking under stress and trying to wake up.
    3-You are giving away your location by the sound.
    4-Most people have no idea what a racking shotgun sounds like.
    5-Urban myth.

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    Hmmmmm..... Public Internet Forum.

It is my policy to neither confirm nor deny the presence or location of any firearm on my property.

Some of these ideas are great! But I think some guys are a little leery of sharing their secrets....

Exactly! because BG pay attention and learn from threads like this. While I am at it, those folks with the 1x2 2x2 2x3's on here aren't doing yourselves any favors. PUBLIC Forum no membership required to read through these threads.

Last edited:

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Close by, but as noted above, I'm not giving away any secrets here. This was my great-granddad's shotgun, then my granddad's, then skipped to me. It's by far my favorite gun just for that reason.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I really didn't plan on replying here because I don't want to be the a-hole whose primary HD weapon gets stolen because I gave up the X on the map on an interwebz forum...BUT...two things led me to do it.

1. The OP mentioned secret compartments, of which nobody has commented.
    2. I have an engrained desire to prevent men from failing at keeping their wives in the dark whilst I continue to demonstrate the many ways to do just that.

This past Christmas I built my wife a headboard and, in fact, a whole King bed frame complete with basket-holding cubbies on each side and drawers at the foot. Being my usual devious self I decided this would be a GREAT opportunity to get a gun out of the safe and into arms' reach. I built a hidden compartment. It's one of those in-plain-site compartments but has no door handle but uses a hidden slide-lock. I made two drastic mistakes here: first being that I built the compartment based on the size of a weapon I'm not allowed to possess until sometime beyond August 2013 and the current 20" HD shotgun doesn't fit. Second, I installed a touch-lamp mechanism on the reading lamp on that side which my wife obviously became jealous of causing her to claim my side of the bed and putting me, yet again, out of reach from the weapon storage location I so cleverly selected/created.

Moral of the story: People, coordinate your plans with the skeptics you'll face every day before making any HD weapon storage plans. It doesn't matter where you put it, just be sure it's in a place you and ______ can agree on, is functional for all parties involved and most importantly...that the gun fits there.

-Dobber

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    At night, gun safe is unlocked... Lock it up in the morning when I get my EDC out.... Safe is 3 feet from bed. I just keep a flashlight next to it, and I am good to go.

ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    Hey Dobber, that's a great idea. If you'd have gone with a his and hers setup from the beginning you'd be a little better off.
    Please tell me you at least put up a good fight to keep your side of the bed ;)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I just prop it up beside the bed, but if I had a safe, I'd do as mentioned and pull it out every night and put it up every morning.

Handgun takes over while I'm awake lol.

There's no safety concerns for me to want a safe over, simply investment protection at this point... I don't think an equal weight of gold would be worth as much in a year or 2.

bmwguru

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    My Benelli m4 sits quietly by my bed, loaded, chambered and ready to rock and roll. Hopefully I never need it but I'd rather have it and not need it than vice versa.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I bought a couple vinyl coated bicycle hooks (for hanging your bike) and screwed them in right over the doorway leading out of our bedroom. The weapon is high enough that youngsters can't reach it. It can't be seen unless you're in the bedroom and most people don't even notice it. Its handy and easy to grab on the way out of the bedroom. I don't have any kids at home so I don't have to worry about securing it unless I know the grand kids are coming over.

My primary nightstand weapon is an HK45C with the red laser and I have a Surefire E2D Defender right next to my head. The shotty is more of a backup for me.

I did the same thing in my closet, years ago, with a handgun, now with a 20 ga.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    No children In the corner of the walk in closet behind rack of clothes. Shells in the mag tube but none in the chamber.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Arms length from the bed, loaded, chambered, cocked, locked and ready to rock with 7 shells of 3" mag 00-buck.

Hidden when I'm not at home... most safes nowadays aren't worth the paper ads that sell them when a pry bar is taken to them. Don't have the money for a "really safe" safe, currently.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I keep mine at my back door so I can walk out on my deck and fire 2 shots in the air to scare off bad people.....LOL.... geez.
    Are you serious? :rolleyes: Do you know how stupid this sounds? What if the bad people were out your front door? I suggest keeping one by your front door as well, keep all your bases covered.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    And why not?
    1-You are adding time to your reponse, seconds count.
    2-You may flub up the racking under stress and trying to wake up.
    3-You are giving away your location by the sound.
    4-Most people have no idea what a racking shotgun sounds like.
    5-Urban myth.

Amen keep the gun full and ready for the fight (safety on). If I have to go for my shotgun "deterrent" is the last thing on my mind.

Parker

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Hey Dobber, that's a great idea. If you'd have gone with a his and hers setup from the beginning you'd be a little better off.
    Please tell me you at least put up a good fight to keep your side of the bed ;)

I didn't and couldn't because she wasn't aware of my clever building. For her to find a loaded firearm outside the safe would not go over well for me....unless it happened to save our lives. HOWEVER, I'm building a side car right now for the new baby arriving any day and due to some design constraints it'll only be capable of attaching to what was originally her side. Darn it I just couldn't figure out a redesign. Shucks.

-Dobber

Top Bottom