Where can I get a Mak 90 AK threaded for a muzzle brake and how much is avg cost?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • futureofwar

Marksman
    May 27, 2011
    Bunker Hill
    Does anyone know of any gunsmiths that do barrel threading within an hours or so of Kokomo or is there something illegal about that that no one is
    answering because of. From what I found it was legal please let me know if its not.

Thanks

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Oct 24, 2010
    You can buy the threading kit (die, die handle, thread alignment tool) and easily do it yourself. I have a few and can sell you one, I live in Carmel. On the mak90 unfortunately it doesn't have a front sight block that has a hole for the detent pin, so you will have to use a crush washer or threadlock to keep the flash hider from rotating.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    easiest way to do it is get the correct die, a t-handle, and a thread alignment tool for 7.62mm rifle bore, and do it yourself. Only takes about 15 minutes or so and the tools will probably cost about the same as having a smith do it.

The one thing you need to know is if you have enough material left on the end of the muzzle to actually thread is to 14mm. The Mak90s came threaded, and then the threads were turned off, so their may not be enough thread remaining to go 14 mm. The option there is to go 1/2"x28 instead.

futureofwar

Marksman
    May 27, 2011
    Bunker Hill
    I read about the whole Mak 90's threads being ground down and thats why I was worried about doing it myself and taking the barrel too thin. How much of a difference is there really with a a good brake (not a flash suppresssor)
    compared to the bare barrel. I honestly have never shot an AK period just got this one and wanted to make it look cool since I dont have time to get to a range yet.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Some MAK90s were turned down but not all. Take some calipers to it and see what its diameter is, if 14mm you can thread it. However, I botched my attempt with the die by actually turning off my threads instead of "breaking the chips" like I though I was doing:
    100_0191.jpg

Still had enough of the muzzle for Wanamaker Guns on the SE side of Indy thread it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    and just another thing to take into consideration.

Real chinese AKs, ie military issue, were not threaded. they only threaded export models ;)

Top Bottom