Where can I find a lockable ammo box/can?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Where can I find a lockable ammo box/can? My wife and I are preparing for a home study thru our adoption agency, possibly end of October, and one of the guidelines is that firearms and ammo have to be locked up separately.

I currently have everything in one large gun safe. And I don't have the money to buy a second safe. So, I figured I can keep the ammo locked up in separate boxes, stored inside my safe.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Most any ammo can accepts a padlock. If you are like me, you have a whole box of those freebie cable "gun locks".

Will you be required to unload and lock up your carry and ammo (separately) when not on you?

I think I saw a stack of metal ammo cans at Menards a few weeks ago.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Locking file cabinet or a $100 stack on gun cabinet were my first 2 thoughts. How much ammo are we looking at here?
    I bought my parents a small fire safe about the size of a dorm fridge for under $200.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Most any ammo can accepts a padlock. If you are like me, you have a whole box of those freebie cable "gun locks".

Will you be required to unload and lock up your carry and ammo (separately) when not on you?

I think I saw a stack of metal ammo cans at Menards a few weeks ago.

The normal metal cans will accept a pad lock? I thought you had to modify them? (I don't have ANY cans).

I really have no idea about my carry gun. They just asked if I had any firearms.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, drip me in bacon grease and call me Rhino...

No tab for a padlock on mine. I would have SWORN there was. Looks like it is easy to add one, though.

Wonder what kind of can I was thinking of?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When my sister adopted I don't recall hearing how they kept coming back throughout the years.

It has been a while though. Her youngest is grown with a couple kids so things could be different. As much as they charge for the process you should have lifetime baby sitting with it as well.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    Three-fiddy at Rural King (on sale):
    Bear Arms Field Ammo Can Box ACGRN by Retail Factory Direct for $3.99 in Gun Cases - Hunting - Sporting Goods : Rural King

Has a tabs for a padlock. Maybe that is what I was thinking of....

I highly recommend these. I bought 15 of them when Rural King had their 12% rebate going on. Very nice can for the money. Has gasket to keep out moisture and a tab for padlock. And they are stack-able. I just stack mine two deep in the bottom of the safe. If they have to be kept separate from the guns though. I would recommend something like this Tough Box . Used to store my ammo in one of those before I had a big enough safe it weighed enough with all my ammo in it that no one was walking off with it easily.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom