• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Looking to move down from my cap and ball muzzle loader to either a wheel lock or match lock for deer hunting --have hunted for 50 year with cap and ball. Am looking for any input of anyone that has used one or other for hunting?

Ortgies

Plinker
    Oct 14, 2022
    7597 W. C.R, 800 N.
    Looking to move down from my cap and ball muzzle loader to either a wheel lock or match lock for deer hunting --have hunted for 50 year with cap and ball. Am looking for any input of anyone that has used one or other for hunting?
    As I remember, looking at Grand Dad's collection (he had an original "lock" for a wheellock). Quite a complex item, but fairly reliable for it's time. As I understand, a chain is wound against a spring, locked, then "fired" by the trigger, rotating a friction wheel against a flint, showering the pan with sparks. Well maintained, I suspect that it would be reliable. The match lock, not so much. Either would be fun, and quite a conversation starter, but I suspect the wheellock would be more satisfactory. Good luck with it!

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    I have seen match locks in competition -- My question would be keeping the wick glowing for a full hunt - Secondly would be the smell -- Wheel lock would be a bit slower than a flinter, but much less work. Either case I think a good shooting stick would be in order.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    s I remember, looking at Grand Dad's collection (he had an original "lock" for a wheellock). Quite a complex item, but fairly reliable for it's time. As I understand, a chain is wound against a spring, locked, then "fired" by the trigger, rotating a friction wheel against a flint, showering the pan with sparks. Well maintained, I suspect that it would be reliable. The match lock, not so much. Either would be fun, and quite a conversation starter, but I suspect
    wheel lock is nothing more than a big Bic lighter that ignites powder not gas -- More moving parts than a flintlock muzzle loader.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have seen match locks in competition -- My question would be keeping the wick glowing for a full hunt - Secondly would be the smell -- Wheel lock would be a bit slower than a flinter, but much less work. Either case I think a good shooting stick would be in order.

This is the exact issue with matchlocks for hunting.

My match cord will burn through a good length (a few feet) in a single shooting session and it takes lots of care (constantly ashing and blowing on it) to keep it going between shots.

If you are looking for hunting on hard mode, then I guess a match lock is for you.

As to wheel locks, they are going to be really expensive custom made guns, but if you are willing to take something that costs several thousand dollars into the field, then no reason you couldn't use one. Its what they were commonly used for by the wealthy and the nobility when they were in common use (outside of their use on the battlefield).

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    thank you for your input. that was what I thought --Fuse time? --Too old to shoot deer with my long bow --would be a great accomplishment for me, as a black powder shooter to get a deer with a match lock -- I think it might work for first light stand and late evening then switch guns, Never shot a wheel lock, might be fun also. The only one that would complain about the cost would be the grandkid when I am gone.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    A guy from FL. Made a Wheelock pistol and brought it to F-ship a few years ago. It had ZERO lock jump and was a great shooter. You literally could not feel anything when the pistol was dryfired.
    Matchsticks are shot at F-ship but only of an evening with no-one else on the line....pretty cool if you're into glowing cords and black powder.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Just because I forgot to mention it and in case someone else had a similar question, the other issue with matchlocks is the way the pan is protected.

Unlike most flintlocks, the pan isn't spring loaded on a matchlock. It's typically just a cover that swivels out of the way when you are ready to shoot. So, that adds another element of effort.

When I shoot mine, the loading and firing procedure goes like this:

1. Remove lit match and set it away from where I am loading (soldiers used to hold the match in their off hand that was supporting the musket or even have special holders on their helmets, since this dates back to when soldiers were still wearing steel helmets and armor).
    2. Charge musket (if you want to be authentic, you can use the old "apostles" bandoleers, with pre-measured power charges in wooden bottles hanging off a bandoleer)
    3. Load ball (either loose with a wad on top, or patched if you want more accuracy)
    4. Bring musket up and open pan cover
    5. Load pan with priming powder
    6. Close pan
    7. Ash match and blow on it to get it glowing
    8. Attach match to the cock
    9. Keeping the pan closed, pull trigger/lever to bring match down, to make sure it is hitting in the right spot on the pan, then release trigger/lever to move match back
    10. Open pan
    11. Aim
    12. Fire
    Then rinse and repeat.

Definitely not something I would want to do when hunting.

That being said, I will say despite the lack of sights on my musket, it's a pretty smooth shooting gun, since the trigger is a spring resisted lever, not a sear trip, so pulling the trigger back slowly until the match hits the priming powder can be done very smoothly without any risk of jerking.

Since I had my matchlock relined (I didn't like how thin the barrel was in the original .75 caliber) down to .62 caliber, I had the option of getting it rifled. I chose not to, since there were no sights. I would bet though, if you put in the effort to set up a proper front and rear sight on it, a rifled matchlock could be made pretty darn accurate.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Great information -It would have to be built with a rifle barrel - and sights -I would load pre-dawn on my stand and nurse the wick for an hour and change guns. just amazes me using them in Battle. Had a chance to hold a Japanese snap match muzzle loader, not a clue how you would mount and shoot that thing?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Great information -It would have to be built with a rifle barrel - and sights -I would load pre-dawn on my stand and nurse the wick for an hour and change guns. just amazes me using them in Battle. Had a chance to hold a Japanese snap match muzzle loader, not a clue how you would mount and shoot that thing?
    I believe they tended to be more used in static type formations. They had no stocks, with just hand grips and very long barrels, so kind of awkward to use.

In Europe, early musketeers were mixed with pikeman, with pikeman providing the cover from cavalry (or for the Spanish, the tercio which had musketeers, pikemen, and swordsmen). Eventually, as muskets improved and bayonets were invented, the pikeman were just replaced with more musketeers.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The Rifle Shoppe has some really high quality kits, so if you want a really nice one and are willing to finish it yourself (or pay someone to do it), that would be a good place to start:

I don't know if they offer any of the barrels rifled, but I imagine you can ask them.

The other way to go is what I did, and buy an Indian made matchlock and then have the barrel relined. I went with Military Heritage, which I don't recommend (quality wasn't great). But if you go with either of these two, you should be doing well:

Then I used Bob Hoyt to reline the barrel. I did mine smoothbore, but he offered to rifle it and he might be able to help with the sights.

Freischutz Shop
    2379 Mt. Hope Road., Fairfield, Pa. 17320
    717-642-6696

Top Bottom