• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Unless its from a licenses ammunition manufacturer, its worth next to nothing. Never trust someone elses reloads. That said you can find it all over the gun shows going for close to normal price. Personally I just dont trust anyone's reloads.

Not saying there a bad loader, im just saying you have no idea what proses was used, and how much powder is in there. If its from a FFL remanufacturer then id say just below normal market price, but not to much below:).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i shot some reloads a long time ago that a local man had reloaded and my smith 357 blew up in my hand. those reloads wernt worth my gun and i got off easy by just buying a new gun. you cant buy a new life

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Either of you heard about B &K Bullet casting in Peru?

They are pros. You bring them brass or buy theirs.
    I've got a box (50) .38 special JHP on order. $13.50 including the brass. Catch is you order and wait. Thye do range rounds for the police as well.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I buy .308 re-mans from Brass King at the 1500 when I go. They use LC brass, Win 748 powder, and Sierra bullets, all listed on the box. So far, never a problem, although first time I bought some, I checked COAL for two entire boxes before I put them in the mags.

They WERE about $2 a box cheaper for their "match grade" than Federal and Hornady, but I didn't make the last 1500, and finances may prevent me from going to this coming one, too, so prices may have changed by now.

That said, I wouldn't buy from a person who casually reloads for some extra spending money.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Reloads

Many folks reload for a variety of reasons.
    (but usually fall into 1 of 2 camps).
    1. Because it's cheaper.
    2. Because it's better (can be when you use quality components).

If you do not know what you are doing, then go to a gunshop that sell reloading supplies and start asking questions. Reloading is addictive.

It is amazing to see the performance of your gun at its peak when you use the correct ammo. You can adjust not just the number of grains of powder, but change powders out completely for different burn rates and power curves. Bullet choices go from cast-your-own cheapo to exotic loads that would cost $5+ per round on the retail market.

The bottom line with reloads is to know who is doing your reloading (if it isn't you) and that they aren't guessing or throwing stuff together.
    Even commercially available reloads will outperform off-the-shelf walmart ammo. (like BlackHills shoots awesome through DPMS AR15 classic 20").
    Same applies with handguns.
    My snubby groups quite impressively with 3.8 grains of tight group pushing the cowboy loads and RNL cast in the shed. I have more powerful loads of the same cartridge for my .357 Magnum lever action and that is an accurate little rifle.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It may some to the point that you have to buy reloads or load your own if you want to shoot. As for the .223 reloads I see them any where from $300-$450 and black hill is much higher. What I like about 223 reloads is that you can't over fill the case and cause the gun to blow up from a double charge.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Paperboy,

As you can see, there are mixed opinions on reloads, with "commercial" reloads being much safer.

You haven't listed your location, so this may not apply from you, but let me say:

DO NOT BUY RELOADS FROM SCROOGIN'S GUN SHOP IN MARTINSVILLE.

There are several horror stories on this site (and who knows where else) about their reloads blowing up guns. To add insult to injury, when the customer returned, the management essentially told them to shove it, as it must be a problem with your firearm. Does that sound like the actions of an adult or child? For goodness sake's don't patronize these people!!! Under no circumstances whatsoever should you buy their reloads.

blablabla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    typically reloaded ammo isnt worth a lot to people who dont know the person who did the reloading personaly. I tend to stay away from peoples reloads unless I REALLY know them....bad experience for me buying a strangers reloads.

Top Bottom