• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I haven't really had or worn a watch in years. I use my phone to tell time, but I've been getting outdoors more these days and I like the idea of a backup compass and I know many watches have them. I've always been a timex ironman guy, but I wouldn't rule out a Casio G-shock. I'm not really knowledgeable on watches, but I know I'd want one that can get wet, go underwater the few feet that I'd swim, and have a backup compass for my outdoors habits. I'm not sure if there's other features out there that I should be thinking about so I thought I'd ask here.

What's your outdoors watch that won't get destroyed during work or play?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm wearing the one listed in this post

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing-those-what-do-you-wear-8.html#post5290221

AWGM100-1A - Others Mens Watches | Casio - G-Shock | Casio - G-Shock

Gshock, has been great. No compass on mine as I wanted it stripped down. Big things for me were solar powered and atomic timekeeping, along with water resistance/durability.

AWGM100-1A_xlarge.png

Last edited:

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    20 dollar digital Casio. You can beat the snot out of them. They are light weight small multiple time zones and alarms. A digital battery that will last forever. I'm hard on them when I have to wear them. It's like the mora knife of watches.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Casio G-shock G9000 Mudman, large dial, dark green. We bought one for my son when he graduated ARMY BCT 6 years ago. He has beat it up and it still works perfectly. I was so impressed I bought one for myself. That was 5 years ago. I wear it daily, rain or shine, hot or cold, in dirt or in water. I could not be more pleased with the performance.

Dirty Steve

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I like analog watches. I used a Casio equivalent to the Timex Expedition for years. Still works. And half the price. Last year I bought a Timex with a bezel that sets the alarm. Pretty cool. And discontinued.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    +1 for G Shock. I also think that Citizen Eco-Drives have a place in long term survival due to not needing batteries.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I used to wear a Timex Ironman. When I got my first phone the watch went into the trash can.

Thinking I might like to have one again my wife picked me up a fitbit. I wear it sometimes and it has held up well so far even through the washing machine.

If I was to buy one today it would be the G shock.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I appreciate all the advice everyone. I was pretty much set on the G-Shock until I saw the Timex Expedition Shock. The compass is easy, the display is a lot less cluttered in my opinion and over all I was just a lot happier with how it functioned. I've got nothing against a G-Shock, but ended up with the Timex and so far I'm happy with it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, I would be careful what you "wish for" in a watch. I used to have a Suunto; it was called a "wrist-top computer" and for good reason. It was HUGE, uncomfortable, and too complicated.

I certainly recognize your desire for a compass, but does anybody need pressure, temp, elevation, & a bunch of other features? Consider what features you need as each feature adds bulk & weight.

IMHO, I have a Marathon Navigator and despite the name, it doesn't include a compass. It has date & time, and a rotating bezel to "mark" a certain time or to track multiple time-zones (more geared towards pilots etc). The one super convenient feature is the hr/s hands and each number on the dial are all marked with tritium vials for quick, no-buttons, no artificial lighting viewing in the dark. I particularly like that feature.

Top Bottom