What should I know about Browning Hi Power 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011

Had a good time at the range Sunday! Felt good and I was able to be fairly accurate, considering how new it is to me. :)[/QUOTE

That is one nice looking firearm. Congrats. The one I shot is one of the most natural feeling guns I've ever handled and surprisingly easy to shoot considering the sights.

The hammer looks different to me. Is that a modification or difference in models? Were the sights also mods?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I picked up a stock two tone Tactical for around $800, by searching the online Cabela's Gun Room.
    I've found a couple of gems there.

Alright I'll check there. Still not sure what I'm looking for, but I do like CindyE's also. Did the price jump up a $100 or so like the S&W's?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Gun looks original to me. HiPowers came from the factory with either spur of ring hammers depending on the model. Those look like factory adjustable sights. Very pretty gun!

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I'm still kicking myself from a few years back when the Belgium made, tangent sight Hi-Powers became available in new condition. I believe they were selling for around $1,100.00 to $1,250.00 at the time. I can't remember who was offering them. I hemmed and hawed, finally passing up the opportunity. Not a good move. Those were a magnificent example of the Browning Hi-Power.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I'm still kicking myself from a few years back when the Belgium made, tangent sight Hi-Powers became available in new condition. I believe they were selling for around $1,100.00 to $1,250.00 at the time. I can't remember who was offering them. I hemmed and hawed, finally passing up the opportunity. Not a good move. Those were a magnificent example of the Browning Hi-Power.

I should probably not tell ya that I picked one of those up a few years back for < $600 at a gun show. My intent was a range gun, but even with the tangent sights, it is an excellent carry gun as well.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Look what I found on gunbroker. Current bid is $650. 12 hours left to bid with 6 bids at this time. Could go for much higher. It says 1990 NIB. Looks just like CindyE's
    pix008442707.jpg

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have been trying to decide what to save for next but now the decision has been made (look above). Just wish there was a whole lot more time on the Gun Broker auction. Since a Ruger GP-100 just came home a few weeks ago and starting the replenishment of funds has started.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Did you get it? :popcorn:

No, I am saving for nonfirearm toys and a big trip right now. I added several firearms to my collection last year, including 2 FEG Hi-Powers. I would like a BHP, but I am going to have to wait a little bit. Fullmag's post made me think he bought it. Nice pistol for somebody.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    They are Excellent if you don't want to Shoot hollow point Ammo as they where Designed to shoot FMG Military Ammo, and they will cause you to Bleed if you don't watch your grip, Trigger needs work also.
    If I was looking for a Full Size 9mm Luger , I would buy a Colt 1911 I have 2 and have shot the one over 1000 times No Problems

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    They are Excellent if you don't want to Shoot hollow point Ammo as they where Designed to shoot FMG Military Ammo, and they will cause you to Bleed if you don't watch your grip, Trigger needs work also.
    If I was looking for a Full Size 9mm Luger , I would buy a Colt 1911 I have 2 and have shot the one over 1000 times No Problems

They fixed the humped feed ramp issue long ago. Hollow points are no problem. I've fired thousands and thousands of rounds through HiPowers, including hollow points and have not had any feeding issues, and have never been bitten. As to the triggers, removing the disconnect improves them vastly.

The design has been improved a lot since 1935, just like the 1911.

I've owned 4 1911s and, being a lefty they all ejected brass right into my face. 1911s have their faults too.

Scouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Orlando
    Just checking to see if this post is still available? Lots of changes in my life since 2014!

Entered on Dec 6th, 2013! Via Peace Bridge. From Canada. So-called for an extended holiday (Vacation!) My Son (US Citizen Son) but stayed! 5 years later, I became a Citizen (The legal way) 3 years after that, more or less, she also became a Citizen.

Very happy pair. Spent some time working for my Son, G Licensed armed Security officer. Joined a Gun Club, shot IPSC/IDPA. Liked the IDPA best. Shot a Glock 19, the same one I carried, CCW or G lic. work. TruGlo night sights. Now at 82 YOA, not doing much in the way of work, but having a great time! The Liverpool Accent? Sticking with me!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom