What is the Worth of this Smith & Wesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I just traded guns with a friend, and picked up a Smith & Wesson 39-2.
    It is a blued finished 9mm with an 8 shot mag, and walnut grips with the SW emblem on each side of the grips. What are the going rate for these guns? I contemplated trading it, but decided I am going to go ahead and keep it.

But i am curious how much they are worth. I have seen a few for sale for 300 or so, and others in the outstanding shape for as low as $250.

So any input would greatly be appreciated. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    My Grandfather gave me a Smith & Wesson 39-2 with Pacmeyer grips when I turned 18. It was technically my first carry weapon (only a handful of times really).

I can't speak to its actual value, as mine has much more wrapped up in sentiment. Its a good shooter, but I rarely shoot it because its really in mint condition.

Congrats on the trade!

20gifqs.jpg

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    This all of course depends on condition, and that is usually determined by the eye of the beholder. BB collector value puts it at $395 if in 100% condition (rare), $365 in 98% condition, and $325 in 95% condition.

The true value however, as many have pointed out here on this site, is whatever the market is willing to pay.

Hope that helps!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The above answers are right. I have seen NIB go for 350+, but not very much higher than that. Used (light wear, fired at all) 250-300.

Realistically, in today's gotta be tactical hi cap world, its going to be a hard sell. Perhaps a year ago, 300-350 for a lightly used one would be going rate (as I have seen in several shops), but now, I cant find one online for very much more. Collectors love these, people who used to carry them for departments, avid shooters wanting a "wonder nine" to add for a historical feel, etc... but the average person most likely wouldnt be interested.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The model 39 S&W may not be a high dollar pistol but they are fine shooters. Yours is known as a "first generation" model. I have a second generation, 639. Almost the same but in stainless. Excellent shooter and very accurate. I like mine for shooting bowling pins with heavy handloads because the weight soaks up the recoil and allows for quick follow up shots. These guns are rugged and dependable. They will last a lifetime. Lots of interest in them on the Smith & Wesson forums.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The above answers are right. I have seen NIB go for 350+, but not very much higher than that. Used (light wear, fired at all) 250-300.

Realistically, in today's gotta be tactical hi cap world, its going to be a hard sell. Perhaps a year ago, 300-350 for a lightly used one would be going rate (as I have seen in several shops), but now, I cant find one online for very much more. Collectors love these, people who used to carry them for departments, avid shooters wanting a "wonder nine" to add for a historical feel, etc... but the average person most likely wouldnt be interested.

In this age of hi cap thousand round 9mms, people forget one reason why the Model 39 is such a sweetheart of a gun. You get a full sized gun, with all the ease of shooting and practical accuracy advantages that comes with a full sized gun, that is a total pleasure to carry concealed due to the single stack magazine.

I had a Model 39 years ago, stupidly sold it, and have spent the last 20 years trying to buy a friend's pristine, almost never shot Model 39. I've offered as much as $400 for and been turned down. When we get money saved up to buy my wife another gun, I may actually offer him the $500 for it that we'd spend on a new gun. Cathy loves it, and it's the perfect size for her.

Odds are, though, he won't take it. Just flat doesn't want to let the gun go. And no, I won't offer $500 for just any Model 39 LOL.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I have one and I love it. When I'm not carrying my ancient S&W M&P snubby, it is my standard carry piece.
    I wouldn't consider selling it.
    A buddy of mine has a dad who is a big gun wheeler dealer collector and gunsmith.
    He damn near salivated when he saw mine, and told me they are a very desirable firearm.

Here's my kid shooting it.

pb020008rz2.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom