• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My mother bought my father a new Super Blackhawk 44mag for $200 in 1987.
    Gunshop has them for $860 nowadays.
    :): Understood, but in my mind I was thinking about up close and personal self defense, not through my neighbors garage and out the wall to the bad guy.

Naw, in reality I was attempting to point out the lack of the modern defensive use revolver as a viable self defense weapon. That is, in the minds of the general police forces of America today. And quite honestly after Miami I can understand. But for Joe Sixpack????

Edit, wow on the -investment- :thumbsup:

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I was thinking about this as not everyone has $800-2500 to put on a self-defense handgun.

This can be a good source of information for those seeking a reliable inexpensive self-defense handgun.

So what handgun do you personally have experience with that is reliable, and have had no malfunctions with at least 500rds fired including self-defense ammunition.

Post your experiences with the above criteria.

Make and model of firearm.

How many rounds of ammunition including self-defense ammunition you have fired without any malfunctions.

Ammo wise include the brand, weight of bullet, and type of bullet you used.
    Example:
    Federal 124gr FMJ
    Federal 124gr HST

Do you recommend it as an under $400 reliable self-defense handgun?
    A used Glock 19. Simple answer.

Relax_36

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    If you stop by Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield you will find many brands of firearms for $400 or less as they are almost exclusively a used gun store. You will see Glock, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Walther, H&K etc and all of them will meet your price criteria. Myself I would snag the Sig P365 that’s used in the case right now for $399.00 and be the happiest of campers. A slightly used gun defends just as well as a new one for a lot less initial investment and allows you to get a better quality gun at your specified price point too.
    I can +1 this sentiment about Marksman Shooting Sports. Just picked up a "used" S&W Shield Plus Performance Center for $400. Had -maybe- 50rds through it, judging by the basically non-existant wear on the barrel and mags, trigger not even close to broken in yet. Marksman was awesome and easy to deal with, and the condition of what I bought somehow ended up being better in person than what I was expecting based off the photos. Supremely happy with my experience there, and glad to be back in the Shield Plus PC game on the cheap.

After I sold my last PC I missed it almost immediately. That thing ate everything I fed it with exactly 0 issues whatsoever over a couple thousand rounds. Lots of 115gr FMJ reloads, new 115gr target ammo, 147gr HST, 124gr Federal Punch, 124gr VCrowns, 115gr VCrowns, 115gr Sig 365 EDCs, 115gr Hornady Critical Defense, 135gr Hornady Critical Duty... I ran about everything I could think of through that 3.1" Performance Center, as well as another plain old Shield Plus and they both just kept on keeping on, nary a hiccup out of either.

The standard Shield Plus can frequently be found for under $400 new (though probably not the OR version at that price). I wouldn't hesitate to go with one of those if I were out of guns and only had a few benjamins to spend.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom