• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since I received my License to Carry in late 2008, shortly after turning 18. I have carried my first handgun, my glock 22. Until recently(within the last year) when I started carrying my Smith and Wesson Shield .40 when I want something a little easier to conceal. I have trained with both firearms and try to regularly practice with both.

Glock 22
    Smith&Wesson Shield .40

WouldLikeToHearMoreAboutYourShield. IHaven'tBeenAbleToHandleOne, ButItIsAConsiderationInsteadOfCarryingAfs M&P9

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Colt Python from 1989 to 1992
    Beretta 92FS from 1992 to 1997
    Colt 1911 from 1997 to 2009
    Kimber 1911 since 2009
    Wilson Combat 1911 currently on order

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd be interested in your "review" of the Shield and the P238. What you liked. What you didn't. Why you switched.

Sure man!
    The shield… It is a great shooting pistol for the money. Its super slim so wearing it IWB doesn't bulge or make your pants fit "off" like some bigger guns can. Its comfortable. It's small but yet big enough to be a "fighting pistol" and not a pocket pistol so much. It will fit in a big pocket, I have shorts that it can fit in but honestly my 27 is better in them. Basically I can not say anything bad about the gun and my buddy actually bought one for his girlfriend to keep in her purse. The safety which I don't hate is good for this, you can even leave it off if that is how you prefer to carry and not worry. But I feel like its a small, put some place gun. I wanted one so bad and still like it but its just a little bit too big for your pocket and if I am going to put it on my hip I may just as well go bigger, even though I like it so well. I wouldn't ever tell someone not to buy one though! My brother currently carries the Shield either in his backpack/car or on his person most days in a hybrid holster while at work. I like the Shield for its price, how it shoots, the trigger, its reliability/ how it's made is solid, and its size even though I debated it and gave reasons above. It is just kind of between niches you could say. But if I had to use the gun I would not feel outgunned in anyway (carry extra mags and I really feel that way)

The Sig… I'll start by just saying this is a quality pistol! I have the tactical version and have never put the laser on it. It has the hogue grip which is thick at the bottom and can "bump" in your pocket. But this is not a big deal at all, I am bringing it up because it is model specific and I thought I wouldn't like the grip in my pocket, but love it! I carried the CM9 which is great because 9>380 but its quite a bit thicker and things in jeans that "fit" not tight or loose having it in your pocket its a little big and hard to get out of the pocket. Shorts no big deal, but remember I want that "no excuses gun"… So when going to the smaller gun I may have the smaller round but I just needed to make the trade off because not having it doesn't do me any good. I actually was going to buy the CW380 by kahr especially as cheap as it is (or going to be). It is still not out! Then at the 1500 I stumbled upon the sig for $425 (the only good deal of the day) and I actually asked the guy if it was used haha but he had lots new so I was like well dang I think I need it (gun guy on a budget too). So I bought it and all I can say is wow! That gun may be a little 380 but it doesn't feel like a pocket pistol. I have let lots of my buddies shoot it and they all want one but don't want to pay for it! But I can say that it shoots well, not at all like you would think of a pistol that small. I can not make a big enough deal out of how well it shoots. I was in shock, everyone who shoots it enjoys it. Most 380's or pocket guns aren't a pleasure to shoot but this is. This is a plus so I will practice and be effective with it. The gun fits in my pocket fine and is the same thickness as the Kahr or LCP (Frame is .75) but just a little thicker through the grip. It has real sights though way better than the others; night sights too which are great. The only con is that it is heavier, not heavy, just heavier than the competition. But I carry it everyday in a desantis nemesis made just for the P238 which fits like a glove in my right front pocket! They are pricey but I would never hesitate to say "BUY IT!" I shoot it way better than an LCP (we have one in the house) and just like it more, for obvious reasons I won't go into. I will also add there is nothing wrong with carrying an LCP, it works for a lot of people, just not my choice. I shoot it better with consistency in the 7-15 yard range than my other guns. A buddy of mine shot it out wayyy further than I can, and put all rounds onto a the bobcat steel silhouette target we were shooting. And I am talking far just to "see" what it would do. I shoot my bow in this area too so I know distance and he was over 30 yards and smacking steel on each shot. It was impressive and he is now in the market for a 238… So, with the exception that the sig is a .380 that is the only "downside" to it that I can say. I wouldn't want to change anything other than that which isn't possible with the size, and other than maybe weight, which still isn't bad just an ideal world, because that weight is there because of how great the gun is and is part of what makes it great. And its not heavy trust me, I am not complaining if it seemed so. I love the gun, great trigger, no recoil, it just shoots so stinking well, and I am more than confident in my ability to effectively use it should the need ever arise more so than most of my other guns honestly. My effectiveness and actually having a gun on me is more important to me than worrying about caliber and other things. I would love to have a full sized pistol like a Glock 20 and be blasting 10mm rounds if I ever had to use a pistol sure. But in reality I am not going to have that on me everyday. So ill get good with what I know I will have (sometimes its a bug, rare but true) I will just say ask any questions you may have because I could go on about how much I love the gun… Some people are not crazy about them but it is certainly for me. I will not be "switching" from this gun for a good long time. I can only imagine it being in my pocket while something else is also around. It is no different than putting my wallet into my pocket now a days and its just apart of me on a daily basis.

Hope that is a "review" for you, I just kinda went on and on there as to how much I love that gun so I am done. I didn't get into details so much as gave my opinion.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    First ever EDC was my Springfield 1911
    Glock 19 Gen 3
    Glock 35 Gen 3
    SIG P226
    Glock 21 Gen 3
    Glock 21 Gen 4
    Glock 30 Gen 3

My current and favorite is my Gen 4 G19

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I will stick to ones that I have actually carried on a routine basis, not just ones that I carried every now and then.

S&W Mod 66 .357 4"- I think that was mid 80's up to around 2000
    Browning HiPower 9mm-
    Springfield XD40sc
    S&W M&P 40 compact for last year or so

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Would it be redundant to have a "What have you carried concealed" thread? I am interested in carrying concealed and struggle with the many opinions on what "should" be carried. Then again, a thread might just add to my confusion. :)

I see a lot of large firearms listed in this thread and I know one can carry these concealed, but it would be interesting to see what the ratio of smaller guns(Shield, snub noses, etc.) is to full size(1911, FS Glocks, M&P's, Model 29's, etc.) handguns.

Glocksmith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Lafayette
    Would it be redundant to have a "What have you carried concealed" thread? I am interested in carrying concealed and struggle with the many opinions on what "should" be carried. Then again, a thread might just add to my confusion. :)

I see a lot of large firearms listed in this thread and I know one can carry these concealed, but it would be interesting to see what the ratio of smaller guns(Shield, snub noses, etc.) is to full size(1911, FS Glocks, M&P's, Model 29's, etc.) handguns.

Takes a little time and certainly commitment to the notion of doing it daily, but carrying large isn't a huge deal after you get used to it. I'm at home with a Glock model 22 at 4:30, and after a while began to feel underarmed without it. A high quality belt and high quality holster make all the difference. David Bullard's "Dual Carry" is a fine 4:00 IWB holster. www.dmbullardleather.com 2 clips spread the weight out. Duluth Trading has a great line of HD belts for tradesmen that work well for our purposes as well. With the above weapon, belt, and holster, I can be comfortable all day with a G22, shirt tucked in, no cover garment. His holsters feature a "bodyguard" that keeps the slide from digging into your back, and keep sweat off the gun. Haven't found any better means to comfortably deep conceal a full size weapon daily.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Why would anyone want to conceal? Only criminals conceal...:):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Takes a little time and certainly commitment to the notion of doing it daily, but carrying large isn't a huge deal after you get used to it. I'm at home with a Glock model 22 at 4:30, and after a while began to feel underarmed without it. A high quality belt and high quality holster make all the difference. David Bullard's "Dual Carry" is a fine 4:00 IWB holster. www.dmbullardleather.com 2 clips spread the weight out. Duluth Trading has a great line of HD belts for tradesmen that work well for our purposes as well. With the above weapon, belt, and holster, I can be comfortable all day with a G22, shirt tucked in, no cover garment. His holsters feature a "bodyguard" that keeps the slide from digging into your back, and keep sweat off the gun. Haven't found any better means to comfortably deep conceal a full size weapon daily.

Thanks. That probably is my issue. I have not carried before and it does feel foreign to have something on or inside my waist. I don't even carry a phone on my waist. I do have a good belt. I should try some holsters. I have carried OWB to and at the range, but that is different since I don't try to conceal it.

Those holsters look like nice ones.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EDC is a G19 for thirteen-ish years, with a few breaks with a Kel-Tec P11 (typically summers).

All told, in the 90s I carried a Beretta 92.

I also feel just fine with a S&W Mod 65.

G17, 26 get carried from time to time.

And a P3AT.

I guess you could say I've carried an XD45 too, but after a few days of that, I put it in reserve. Too damn heavy.

John

Top Bottom