• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    Are there any dentists or informed members who might know what grit normal toothpaste might be? :popcorn:

I am thinking of polishing some parts of my AR and wonder if I need to buy a special grit or if I can just give toothpaste a try.

My last issue of Shotgun News had an article that included polishing some parts of the AR to make for smoother operation.
    :rockwoot:
    louielouie

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I dont know the numbers for sure. However, I'm gonna say a little more gritty than mayonnaise and a lot less than what you should actually use.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've used regular Crest to polish thin plastic parts, as well as headlight covers on one of my trucks. Don't know what grit it is, but it does work. I would say that polishing compound would probably be better for the application you are thinking of, though.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Fun fact: Toothpaste is minty to cover the taste of the detergent. Toothpaste contains detergent because idiot consumers expect toothpaste to foam when they brush.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am going to guess around 3000 grit... this is based off of using toothpaste to polish some stainless steel parts, vs. using actual wet dry paper.

This is just a wag I am in no way sure of this, but I wouldn't hesitate to use toothpaste to polish.... it wont hurt anything... the only thing I see happening is that it wont be aggressive enough and you will become frustrated at how long its taking you to do what you intend to do.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Whitening toothpaste is usually a little rougher than regular toothpaste. And you may need to add a drop of oil as it dries out. I tried it once on some stainless steel. It kinda worked...

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    Thank you to everyone. :rockwoot::rockwoot:

I ordered some jewelry's rouge to use as a polishing agent.

I must admit I have used toothpaste to clean a very dirty bore on pistols.
    After about 2 passes the toothpaste begins to dry out and as it does it really pulls the fouling out. I just made sure I got all of the toothpaste off and out of the barrel with a good CLP.

louielouie :D

Top Bottom