What do you consider have to have spare parts for AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Assuming that you want to be able to repair what is most likely to go wrong in 10-20k rounds.
    I have an extra BCG but putting together a repair kit with plenty of the (low cost) repair parts that are most likely to fail.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Some lpks, complete bolts, and firing pins. Not much else can slow the function down. Maybe some extra roll pins :dunno: Not much can go wrong with a carrier so complete bcgs would be a personal preference imho.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Like you mentioned, bolt (and firing pin); not a part, but a bottle of lube as well.

Lube for the weapon, not personal use for those of you with your minds in the gutter. :nono:

:)::)::):

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Wouldn't an extra complete rifle give you all the spares you need? That's my thought process, anyway.

I do have a spare bolt/firing pin in the handle of one rifle but also have a spare complete BCG. That's quick and easy to pop in.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    -Bolt Repair Kit: (Firing Pin, Firing Pin Retaining Pin, Gas Rings, Extractor, Ejector, Extractor Spring & O-Ring) https://tinyurl.com/ybg9uwvv
    -Cam Pin
    -Complete Bolt

I've heard of the Buffer Retainer breaking often, haven't seen one break, but seems like cheap insurance.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    The Great Abyss', it's stomach is always growling... ;)

The obvious,
    You can't 'Fix' anything you can't take apart/reassemble...
    Drop in parts are one thing, having to drive roll pins in/out takes a hammer & punch, for example.

The extractor is designed to be changed in the field, the firing pin nose will push the extractor pin out enough you can remove/replace it, the ejector plunger & spring are not.
    The nose of a bullet or firing pin is often that's at hand...

Generally, 'Spare Parts' are anything that comes off during field stripping and gets lost...
    You aren't likely to lose the bolt/carrier, but proper cleaning requires removal of extractor and it's little retaining pin, and those do go into hiding quite often...

Firing pins do bend, I owe my life to a bent firing pin in enemy hands.

People show up here looking for optics/sight screws, lost or broken, quite often.
    End caps for lasers, lights, stock & hand grip cubby holes, optics caps, etc. are quite popular with 'The Great Abyss'...

I see guys carrying extra fire control group (trigger/hammer/springs) and I can't remember ever losing any of those, but I guess anything is possible...

One thing I can recommend for a cleaning kit,
    A small, strong magnet. The best way to keep little pins/springs from crawling off in the first place.

soupergenius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I keep several lower parts kits. The problem I've had the most if if I mangle a spring when I'm swapping out furniture. I recently bent the retaining pin on the bolt and I don't have any spares so I'll be adding those to my list.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I keep several lower parts kits. The problem I've had the most if if I mangle a spring when I'm swapping out furniture. I recently bent the retaining pin on the bolt and I don't have any spares so I'll be adding those to my list.

Keeping spare lower parts kits on hand can be problematic. I have it on good authority that they have a habit of turning themselves into full rifles...:spend:

portercounty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Porter County
    ^^^THIS!!! I started w 1 rifle and some spare parts, and then the spare parts sprouted and grew into full rifles, and their spare parts sprouted rifles....and it's now out of control and I love it.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Wouldn't an extra complete rifle give you all the spares you need? That's my thought process, anyway.

No offence meant but why disable a functioning rifle to fix a malfunctioning rife? IMHO strikes me as at best break even at worst loose/loose solution.
    I'd rather always be able to have all my firearms up and running, especially now a days.

I posted the same exact question at AR15.com and here are the suggestions:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthrea...R-manual-recommendation&p=2874639#post2874639

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Keeping spare lower parts kits on hand can be problematic. I have it on good authority that they have a habit of turning themselves into full rifles...:spend:
    Oh my dear Lord. THIS right here. I've had spare hand guards magically turn into rifles.

I figure if things go sideways there will be spare rifles laying around. Or mine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom