What can you tell me about commercial Springfield M1 Garands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I never knew they existed until today. Found one locally and thought the serial number was WAY higher than I knew to exist. It was a 7 million serial, 7,000,xxx to be exact.

Upon some quick google searching I found out these were made by Springfield Armory Inc, the commercial company that popped up after the military company closed.

From what I can find they are commercially made cast receivers, assembled with surplus USGI parts.

So does anyone have any details, good, bad, or other? What are they worth? how do they hold up? etc.

I was interested in it until I found this info out, so now for me to be interested the price has to be right!

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Springfield INC manufactured the commercial M1s back when the DCM sold the "One in a Lifetime" M1 Garand. Once the CMP took over for the DCM the One in a Lifetime Garand became One a Year closing the market for the more expensive commercial Springfield. The CMP is still the best place to purchase a military M1 Garand

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I never knew they existed until today. Found one locally and thought the serial number was WAY higher than I knew to exist. It was a 7 million serial, 7,000,xxx to be exact.

Upon some quick google searching I found out these were made by Springfield Armory Inc, the commercial company that popped up after the military company closed.

From what I can find they are commercially made cast receivers, assembled with surplus USGI parts.

So does anyone have any details, good, bad, or other? What are they worth? how do they hold up? etc.

I was interested in it until I found this info out, so now for me to be interested the price has to be right!

Yes, Springfield Armory Inc made these commercial cast receiver versions.
    I see no reason to buy one, as there are still many real forged receiver M1 Garands out there.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The cast receivers for these commercially made Springfield Armory Inc M1's were made by ADI Lithgow of Australia.
    There were reports of quality control issues with some of these.
    Google is your friend.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    That's why I'm asking here. I've googled quite a bit and never found that info. I'm also looking for first hand experience with them which also seems to be hit and miss.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I have one, at least I'm pretty sure it is. The serial number is in the 7 series. At the time I got it (1984) I didn't know that Springfield Armory did this. Anyway, over the years I have put maybe 800-1000 rounds through it with zero problems. Now its pretty much a safe queen as I punch paper with an AR-15 these days. Wouldn't know how to tell cast from forged, any tips?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    if the serial number is a 7 million serial, then it's one of the commercial made cast receivers.

Military production stopped in the late 50s with the last serial from Springfield being 6,100,499.

Top Bottom