What’s your favorite case lube for necking down bottle neck cartridges?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I want to try necking down some spare 308 cases I have to 260 Remington. I use RCBS case lube and pad for my normal resizing (not necking down). I still have to order the 260 dies and thought I might throw a different lube on the order as well depending on y’all’s recommendations.

So what’s your preferred lube for necking down brass?

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I use this for Lubing Only the Neck: Amazon product ASIN B00PFY0M90
    Careful when you neck those 308's down.
    If it's Military Brass, they usually have a Thick Wall & you may have to Ream out for your 260 Rem.
    Yeah, I may have to ream or neck turn but I want to experiment with what is possible. I want to have practiced ways I know I can make 260 brass from other cases just in case I ever can’t find 260 brass.

guardman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    So I’m I’m a tool and die maker, we made some dies for stamping BMW body panels, and the customer sent us a 55 gallon drum of some special German die lube (for an 800 ton press) so I filled myself an oil can of it to take home and it’s great for reforming brass. I’ll try to find the brand if anyone is interested.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have tried a bunch of case lubes and I always go back to Lanolin based lubes.

When up sizing like 7mm TCU, or down sizing like 25-06 or 6.5mm -08, I got in a habit of annealing the brass. Grip the base with a pickup tool, slowly rotate the neck in the flame of a propane torch in a dim garage. As soon as you see the slightest shade of red, drop it in a bucket of water. Way less cracked or deformed neck and shoulder areas.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I used Hornady 1-Shot.

People hate on it for getting stuck cases and what not. I dont think those people use it correctly or enough. I just processed 5k of 223 brass and about 500 308 cases without a single stuck case. I like 1-Shot because it's powder and primer safe and you don't have to clean it off before loading. Just saves me another step.

I have also used lanolin and it works great. Just have to clean it off after sizing.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I want to try necking down some spare 308 cases I have to 260 Remington. I use RCBS case lube and pad for my normal resizing (not necking down). I still have to order the 260 dies and thought I might throw a different lube on the order as well depending on y’all’s recommendations.

So what’s your preferred lube for necking down brass?
    For EXTREME pressure such as this, Imperial Size Wax works the best. You can also get by with RCBS size lube-The type that is like STP=VERY thick.
    With either of these be sure to wipe down the case neck before you size or you will get "Lube Dents" on the shoulder of your brass.
    For me, the Homemade (10% pure Lanolin mixture), Dillon, AND Hornady One Shot WILL let me use my stuck case remover kit a lot MORE.??..Bill.
    PS: I DO use the Homemade lube for most other size jobs that does not require EXTREME sizing..

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    After years of experimenting and trying everything under the sun I settled on Walmart cooking spray (generic Pam). Works great, it’s cheap and almost always available anywhere.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used Hornady 1-Shot.

People hate on it for getting stuck cases and what not. I dont think those people use it correctly or enough. I just processed 5k of 223 brass and about 500 308 cases without a single stuck case. I like 1-Shot because it's powder and primer safe and you don't have to clean it off before loading. Just saves me another step.

I have also used lanolin and it works great. Just have to clean it off after sizing.
    You have a point, if someone is in a hurry, they do not let the solvent / alcohol evaporate. Solvent will stick a case. I rub my fingertips with lube and turn the case neck 1/2 a turn in my fingers to be sure the lube is everywhere. I never clean the lanolin off.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Probably gonna think I'm odd, but I've been using mink oil paste. It's for leather boots. But its outstanding for resizing. I just touch the paste with my fingers before I grab the cases and it works like a charm. No dents or anything.

In the past I used the RCBS pad and spray and I never really liked it. Was easy to over do it. Screenshot_2022-03-06-06-31-55.png

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Probably gonna think I'm odd, but I've been using mink oil paste. It's for leather boots. But its outstanding for resizing. I just touch the paste with my fingers before I grab the cases and it works like a charm. No dents or anything.

In the past I used the RCBS pad and spray and I never really liked it. Was easy to over do it. View attachment 186067
    That sounds like a good idea, Squid...
    Most of us have some of that for boots, holsters, etc..+100 for the idea..Bill.

Top Bottom