• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I’ve forgotten how I used to get my brass real shiny looking. I was thinking I used Dawn dish soap but I also remember using or planning to use Lemi-shine. I have both the Frankford wet tumbler and a Lyman vibratory bowl. I started last week cleaning pistol cases with the Frankford cleaning packets. My brass was really clean which I love but they were really dull and had no polish look at all. I knew I had gotten polished looking brass in the past with the wet tumbler. I tried adding Dawn and that worked great for shining up the brass but now I’m fighting suds. After 5 rinses I’m still getting soap suds in the cases. I don’t know if the soap residue will hurt anything or not but I’ve always read they need to be rinsed clean.
    Is there another easy way to get my brass all shined up? Does that little bit of soap suds left behind matter?
    Is there a different cleaner that will polish as well as clean without all the suds?

Thanks, Matt

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I tumble mine in a Frankford tumbler with 5 pounds of steel pins a couple shots of dawn and a little lemi-shine pro.

After tumbling, I run warm water into the tumbling vessel and let it overflow with suds for a few minutes. I do that four or five times until most of the suds are gone and the water runs clear.

Then I pour everything into a large fine screen sifter and rinse that for several minutes.

Then all goes into a salad spinner where my brass is separated from the pins.

Blazer56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    My wife explained to me what I was doing wrong with the FART. Wash with HOT water but rinse with COLD water...much less suds! She's a keeper!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    once everyone started making sure their brass was shiny as new, I quit cleaning mine. People just leave the dirty ones and I get more back that way

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yep- wash hot, rinse cold. I also found that a little Lemi-shine goes a loooong way.

We found 2 food dehydrators at a garage sale that work well for drying washed brass.

YMMV.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I use the frankford. Dont use pins anymore. Use fair amount of brass fill to get cleaning action.

Wash small amount dish soap and maybe 1/2 teaspoon lemishine. Rinse.

Tumble again. With water & tablespoon "armor all wash & wax". After tumble lightly rinse once, leaves film to keep brass shine for a long time. I believe the film is silicone.

Without the pins, leaves a non-polished (but clean) inside surface with the film helps on loading on a dillon sticking on the powder funnel with pistol cases.

Virch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2018
    Greenville
    I tumble using hot water, lemishine, and tide HE detergent in place of dawn. Shiniest I’ve ever seen my brass. My wife switched to a different HE detergent and my brass isn’t as shiny so I’m gonna get my own little bottle to keep on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    When I first started using it, I found that too much Lemi shine changed my brass appearance to a brownish tea color. I was using Dawn with it. Took a few batches to get it right. Has anyone else experienced that?

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    When I first started using it, I found that too much Lemi shine changed my brass appearance to a brownish tea color. I was using Dawn with it. Took a few batches to get it right. Has anyone else experienced that?
    Had that happen. Now I only use a very small amount of lemishine, like a 45acp case full. I believe the stronger acid solution will take the zinc out of the surface of the brass alloy.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Had that happen. Now I only use a very small amount of lemishine, like a 45acp case full. I believe the stronger acid solution will take the zinc out of the surface of the brass alloy.
    Yes, this ^^^ exactly.
    There are actually YouTube videos that discuss LemiShine leaching the Zinc out if you use too much.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    So after a couple weeks of cleaning my brass, I’m finally done for a while. The little bit of lemi-shine and Dawn are getting me some decent looking brass. I had a bunch of 9mm that was really filthy and I had to clean them twice. After the first wash, pouring off the water was pretty disgustingly dirty, basically black. Brass was still really dull and dark so I ran it through again. It was acceptable second time around.
    One last question for you guys. What do you do with the stainless pins when you are done tumbling for a while, say more than a couple months? For now I’ve left them a bit wet in my drum but that doesn’t seem like a great idea for long term.

Thanks, Matt

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    78218CBC-B6D7-4C89-8755-0E6079BD585C.jpeg Notalentbum, I know you said your finished cleaning for awhile but wanted to add my 2cents for future reference and others.

I often clean extremely dirty brass I rescue from an out door range. This is my process. I start with tumbling in my vibratory tumbler with corncob media and a drizzle of liquid polishing compound. When they come out they are polished but still dirty and dusty. I don’t want that in my guns. I run them through a universal de-primer in my press. Then I run them in my small ultrasonic washer ($60 on eBay). I use very small amount of Dawn Ultra Platinum, just a few drops (less than 1/4 teaspoon) a little goes along way. And about a teaspoon of lemon shine. I like the ultrasonic, it does a great job also cleaning the inside of the case and the primer pockets/flash holes. Then I rinse them well under the kitchen faucet running my fingers through the batch to move cases around while rinsing. I don’t worry about rinsing every case 100%. Any minor suds still left have never caused any issue. Then I lay them out on towel on a cookie sheet to air dry for a day. Here’s a pic of a few hundred 40 S&W range brass I processed this way.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom