We're all getting older. Keep your doctor in the loop. Please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've always considered myself a reasonably healthy person. I keep my weight under control, don't smoke (anything), drink very little and exercise regularly. I am now 66 and have been noticing lately that I am slowing down. A year ago, I'd walk the dogs 4 miles with my wife, and thought nothing of it. Gradually, over the last year it has become more taxing, then REALLY taxing, and now it is impossible. On a good day, I can make it 1/2 mile if I go slow enough. On a bad day, I can't go two blocks. At this point, I know something is wrong and head to my doctor. As an afterthought, he orders an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart). The results are shocking. I got the official report Tuesday morning:

" ...being treated for acutely decompensated congestive heart failure due to SEVERE mitral valve regurgitation. ... will require intense medical treatment including open heart surgery."

I sat in his office and cried. In the 6 weeks since they've done that test I've gone from struggling to walk 2-3 blocks, to struggling to walk to the bathroom in my own house. I get out of breath at the slightest exertion, and it is worsening quickly. I start treatment Tueday 7/19; about half the time I am almost positive I'm not going to live that long. I am only 66, had to quit a job I love because I'll be out at least 6 months, and wanted to work to 70. My life is totally upside down right now.

If you are getting up in years, and feel like you are starting to slow down, please see your doctor. Get some answers. If you don't like those answers, see another doctor. Ask for cardiology and pulmonology referrals. Do NOT write it off to 'getting older' like I did. My heart rate goes through the roof, and my oxygen saturation tanks as soon as I stand up and start walking. I am essentially confined to home until treatment can be started, next week. This whole thing could have been managed way better, IF I'D HAVE GONE TO THE DOCTOR WHEN I NOTICED I WAS SLOWING DOWN. Don't be me. Help your doctor help you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've always considered myself a reasonably healthy person. I keep my weight under control, don't smoke (anything), drink very little and exercise regularly. I am now 66 and have been noticing lately that I am slowing down. A year ago, I'd walk the dogs 4 miles with my wife, and thought nothing of it. Gradually, over the last year it has become more taxing, then REALLY taxing, and now it is impossible. On a good day, I can make it 1/2 mile if I go slow enough. On a bad day, I can't go two blocks. At this point, I know something is wrong and head to my doctor. As an afterthought, he orders an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart). The results are shocking. I got the official report Tuesday morning:

" ...being treated for acutely decompensated congestive heart failure due to SEVERE mitral valve regurgitation. ... will require intense medical treatment including open heart surgery."

I sat in his office and cried. In the 6 weeks since they've done that test I've gone from struggling to walk 2-3 blocks, to struggling to walk to the bathroom in my own house. I get out of breath at the slightest exertion, and it is worsening quickly. I start treatment Tueday 7/19; about half the time I am almost positive I'm not going to live that long. I am only 66, had to quit a job I love because I'll be out at least 6 months, and wanted to work to 70. My life is totally upside down right now.

If you are getting up in years, and feel like you are starting to slow down, please see your doctor. Get some answers. If you don't like those answers, see another doctor. Ask for cardiology and pulmonology referrals. Do NOT write it off to 'getting older' like I did. My heart rate goes through the roof, and my oxygen saturation tanks as soon as I stand up and start walking. I am essentially confined to home until treatment can be started, next week. This whole thing could have been managed way better, IF I'D HAVE GONE TO THE DOCTOR WHEN I NOTICED I WAS SLOWING DOWN. Don't be me. Help your doctor help you.
    Sorry to hear you're going through this, but what does your doctor recommend? I would've thought maybe a stent or something would alleviate it, but maybe not. I'm slowing down myself and it has me concerned. I'll be seeing my doc next month for a treadmill stress test (that I've had to put off multiple times because of my work schedule). I'm dreading it. Used to breeze through them with no problem, but now I don't think that will be the case.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry to hear, my friend. Definitely listen to your body. Dont be afraid to ask questions. While not the same thing, In my profession, I cant tell you how many times I have said "WHAT!!??!? Why didnt you tell me that before?" Better to speak up and be told you are crazy.

I'll add you to my list, sir!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Sorry to hear you're going through this, but what does your doctor recommend? I would've thought maybe a stent or something would alleviate it, but maybe not. I'm slowing down myself and it has me concerned. I'll be seeing my doc next month for a treadmill stress test (that I've had to put off multiple times because of my work schedule). I'm dreading it. Used to breeze through them with no problem, but now I don't think that will be the case.
    Stents are for clogged coronary arteries. I don't have that. My specific problem is 'mitral valve insufficiency'. This causes my heart to pump less effectively, with a large portion of blood NOT going out to my body, but backing up in my lungs, which leads to fluid in the lungs. Heart problems come in 3 flavors: plumbing (clogged arteries > stents), electrical (poor timing > pacemaker), and physical defects like bad valves (repair or replace during surgery.

Good luck on your stress test.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    This advice is very true. I spent 14 days in a ICU. In January after a case of the flu turned to pneumonia. I would have probably shook it off at 20 or 30 at 59 it almost killed me. On a ventilator and all that. And why? I just didn't want to go to the Dr. My stubbornness almost turned my wife into a widow.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Hang in there, don't give up hope, Dr's are doing amazing things with the heart these days. 3 or 4 yrs ago a person close to me had the TAVR procedure done for the aortic valve, thru the artery, no open heart surgery. Amazing results, their case actually helped expand the envelope of the procedure which was pretty new at the time. TMVR is for mitral. Think the Dr was out of either Loyola or Rush hospital in Chicago.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Hang in there, don't give up hope, Dr's are doing amazing things with the heart these days. 3 or 4 yrs ago a person close to me had the TAVR procedure done for the aortic valve, thru the artery, no open heart surgery. Amazing results, their case actually helped expand the envelope of the procedure which was pretty new at the time. TMVR is for mitral. Think the Dr was out of either Loyola or Rush hospital in Chicago.
    I am intimately familiar with cardiovascular procedures. The job I was forced to give up was as a recovery nurse in the Cardiovascular Recovery Unit at Elkhart General. I see TAVRs, Mitraclips, TEEs, Cardioversions, Heart Catheterizations, stents, Watchmans every single day. TAVR is a fantastic procedure for replacing an aortic valve. TMVR is not the ideal treatment for mitral valve. It is much preferred to repair the mitral valve than to replace it. Replace is done for 2 reasons. 1.) The patient is not strong enough, or medically stable enough for Open Heart surgery (OHS) to complete the repairs. and 2.) The valve is just completely shot - unrepairable. Replacing a valve comes with complications: lifetime blood thinners, and pig/cow valves just plain wear out and need to be replaced... again. Repairs can last a lifetime, don't require blood thinners, and leave the valve stronger than the original. As much as I am dreading it, I do appreciate the fact that I am in good enough shape to have OHS. I certainly am not looking forward to the first week or so of recovery.
    BTW, the first TAVR was done over 20 years ago. The valves, and the procedure, are continuously being improved. Much like the rest of medicine. We live in amazing times.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    I am intimately familiar with cardiovascular procedures. The job I was forced to give up was as a recovery nurse in the Cardiovascular Recovery Unit at Elkhart General. I see TAVRs, Mitraclips, TEEs, Cardioversions, Heart Catheterizations, stents, Watchmans every single day. TAVR is a fantastic procedure for replacing an aortic valve. TMVR is not the ideal treatment for mitral valve. It is much preferred to repair the mitral valve than to replace it. Replace is done for 2 reasons. 1.) The patient is not strong enough, or medically stable enough for Open Heart surgery (OHS) to complete the repairs. and 2.) The valve is just completely shot - unrepairable. Replacing a valve comes with complications: lifetime blood thinners, and pig/cow valves just plain wear out and need to be replaced... again. Repairs can last a lifetime, don't require blood thinners, and leave the valve stronger than the original. As much as I am dreading it, I do appreciate the fact that I am in good enough shape to have OHS. I certainly am not looking forward to the first week or so of recovery.
    BTW, the first TAVR was done over 20 years ago. The valves, and the procedure, are continuously being improved. Much like the rest of medicine. We live in amazing times.
    Ah, so you know what you have to look forward to, which is a blessing and a curse right (i.e. knowing the rough phases). Wish you all the best and like you said you have a lot in your favor being otherwise fit. Thanks for the insight on the TMVR, interesting. How the human body works is nothing short of amazing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    this bit of levity seems appropriate for the posts I just read.

a8561c0c27561d812506b4cc18d2be3c.jpg

So at least try to keep a sense of humor Bassat. Sometimes thats all we got to get us through the dark times. (And Jesus of course if a person is so inclined)

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    OTOH - my FIL was in his 70's and working a full time job he loved. He went to the doctor and they told him he had a bad heart valve and that he should have surgery to fix it while he was still strong enough to recover. The ET tube used by the anesthesiologist perforated his esophagus. Stomach contents got into his abdominal cavity and complications the resulting infection killed him, but not before he spent a few months in awful shape where he could do nothing on his own.

My father was diagnosed with throat cancer. He did not want to take any treatment for the cancer. My mother asked me to speak with the doctor and then talk to my Dad. The doctor told me that the radiation therapy they proposed would slow the cancer and help relieve the pain my Dad was in. I talked to him and he agreed to take the treatment. After the first treatment the tumors growth exploded and within days he could do nothing and he was dead in a couple of weeks.

My mother needed bypass surgery. She made it through the surgery, but was on the table for 11 hours. The doctor never reviewed her medical records which showed that she had a history of circulatory problems in her legs where they usually harvest the vein for the bypass. They cut both her legs open looking for a suitable vein before finally getting what they needed from her arm.

To anyone who has to deal with doctors and hospitals I wish you luck and hope you have a positive outcome.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    OTOH - my FIL was in his 70's and working a full time job he loved. He went to the doctor and they told him he had a bad heart valve and that he should have surgery to fix it while he was still strong enough to recover. The ET tube used by the anesthesiologist perforated his esophagus. Stomach contents got into his abdominal cavity and complications the resulting infection killed him, but not before he spent a few months in awful shape where he could do nothing on his own.

My father was diagnosed with throat cancer. He did not want to take any treatment for the cancer. My mother asked me to speak with the doctor and then talk to my Dad. The doctor told me that the radiation therapy they proposed would slow the cancer and help relieve the pain my Dad was in. I talked to him and he agreed to take the treatment. After the first treatment the tumors growth exploded and within days he could do nothing and he was dead in a couple of weeks.

My mother needed bypass surgery. She made it through the surgery, but was on the table for 11 hours. The doctor never reviewed her medical records which showed that she had a history of circulatory problems in her legs where they usually harvest the vein for the bypass. They cut both her legs open looking for a suitable vein before finally getting what they needed from her arm.

To anyone who has to deal with doctors and hospitals I wish you luck and hope you have a positive outcome.
    Well, this is...how should I put this? Not helpful?

:rolleyes:

Each person is unique and each situation is unique. Seems like Bassat is more than competent to advocate for himself and work with his providers to ensure the best possible outcome. And I'm sure he's seen many successful outcomes firsthand. I have a family member who underwent quadruple bypass 10 years ago and has done very well. He gets regular checkups and recently had the TAVR procedure and is doing fine. He will be 86 next month.

Best wishes to you for successful treatement and a speedy recovery, Bassat.

Top Bottom