• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have acquired this really nice Walther PPK and again have been slightly stumped by it. I can't find any reference to this exact gun. There are no import marks that I can find on it. All the original proof marks match to what they should be. The date is 1967 and it says Made in West Germany next to the trigger on the left side of the gun. All the ones I can find that come close to this one have made under license on them, made in the USA or have import marks. Any ideas on this gun? See horrible cell pics below:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    gca 68 said if its a import, it had to have the importers info on it, so if its a 67 made gun it ccould have been imported before the 68 regs went into effect.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Way I understand it 1968 was when they enacted the Gun Control Act. One of the stipulations aside from the required "import marks" was imported guns had to have a certain number of "points" that showed the firearm being imported met "sporting purposes". The PPK fell short by something like one point. Thus the PPK/S was born by combining the frame of a Walther PP with the slide and barrel of a PPK.

One other thing that is interesting to note... all PP, PPK, and PPK/S pistols made after World War 2 were made by Manurhin in France. They marked their guns as such but pistols marked "Walther" were also made by Manurhin with the final finishings done in Ulm at Walther. But it's still technically made by Manurhin.

Interarms USA made guns are obviously excluded from this. By the way nice find on the ppk! :D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Way I understand it 1968 was when they enacted the Gun Control Act. One of the stipulations aside from the required "import marks" was imported guns had to have a certain number of "points" that showed the firearm being imported met "sporting purposes". The PPK fell short by something like one point. Thus the PPK/S was born by combining the frame of a Walther PP with the slide and barrel of a PPK.

One other thing that is interesting to note... all PP, PPK, and PPK/S pistols made after World War 2 were made by Manurhin in France. They marked their guns as such but pistols marked "Walther" were also made by Manurhin with the final finishings done in Ulm at Walther. But it's still technically made by Manurhin.

Interarms USA made guns are obviously excluded from this. By the way nice find on the ppk! :D

Right, it sounds like pre-GCA. If it was post-GCA it would not be importable because of the points, as mentioned. The funny thing about the Manurhin situation is that Manurhin marked guns always were priced lower than Walther marked guns though made side by side.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Right, it sounds like pre-GCA. If it was post-GCA it would not be importable because of the points, as mentioned. The funny thing about the Manurhin situation is that Manurhin marked guns always were priced lower than Walther marked guns though made side by side.

Thats why I was confused about where it was manufactured since it dosen't say Manurhin. I didn't realize they marked them either way. Thanks!

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    To import after gca, ppk became the ppk/s by putting the ppk slide on a full size pp frame if I remember right. I guess the bit of extra size gave it a pass.

Edit: search the walther forums. Answer will be there.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Thats why I was confused about where it was manufactured since it dosen't say Manurhin. I didn't realize they marked them either way. Thanks!

Funny thing about it if I recall correctly Walther denied accusations that their PPK's were also being made by Manurhin it wasn't until like the 80's or 90's where they finally admitted that was the case.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Germany was not allowed to mfg them after the war. All of them made after the war up to sometime in the 80s are Manurhin made in France under license. They were just proofed in Germany. You may even find ones with the Manurhin name on them instead of Walther after the contract ended and they wanted to continue making them.

Top Bottom