• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Hey guys. I'm going to be purchasing a PK380 soon, and as it will be my first Walther, I wanted some first-hand feedback. Any of you out there who own this gun, have any problems? FTE, FTF? Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated. :patriot:

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I owned one for a short period of time, & only put 26 rounds through it. It functioned properly, but I didn't like the funky tool to field strip it. Good feel & not bad on recoil.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I owned one for a short period of time, & only put 26 rounds through it. It functioned properly, but I didn't like the funky tool to field strip it. Good feel & not bad on recoil.

What was the problem with the tool? Just didn't feel like you wanted something else to lose? Provided you have the tool, is it difficult to field strip?

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    same the take down is a night mare,but shoots pretty good. if you need to field strip it your in for a fight. i am sure the more one does it, it will become easier .

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Great little 380 acp.

I like mine, shoots great and is really easy to rack the slide. Recoil is much less than expected and pretty accurate. I don't really mind the take down tool. I don't plan to have to field dress my weapon in the middle of a fight and If I do it won't be a 380. You will like it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Overall they are nice little guns. Light weight, excellent ergonomics, fairly small, accurate and very light recoil. Some call them a bigger P22 and I am not sure I agree. The PK380 seems to be a higher quality firearm (and yes we have both). If one is looking for a slightly larger .380, the PK380 and Bersa Thunder as good, afforable choices.

The one I have is somewhat picky about ammo. It has been 100% reliable to date with 90 grain hydra-shok. There are probably better self defense cartridges, but the local gun store has a good supply of these in 50 round boxes.

Try this link:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_real_world_reviews/119738-review_walther_pk380.html

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I bought one for the wife three months ago and it's been great. Recoil is good and it's eaten everything we feed it. It did need some breaking in, it's much more accurate now after 4-500 rounds than it was out of the box. And be sure to clean it well before shooting it the first time, mine had tons of oil on the innards.

I do agree that the take down tool is a pain. I'm always afraid I will lose it. And after cleaning it, reloading the recoil spring that's around the guide rod back into the slide takes three hands.

Still I have to give it a thumbs up and will sometimes carry it if the wife isn't going anywhere that day. I would buy another without any hesitation.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you own a PK380, call Walther and order another take down tool. They have them in stock. Phone call, credit card number, shows up in the mail. Cost me a couple of bucks. I keep one in the gun case and one with my cleaning supplies.

Oh and if you need a cheap range holster. You can use an original Fobus for the glock 26/27. It is a little loose. Just put some of those fuzzy self stick velcro pads in some strategic places. I found one in a box of used holsters for $10.

I also found that a Streamlight TLR-3 can be made to fit the gun. I had to modify one of the keys with a Dremel.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODktMjAxMTA1MTgtMjIwOS5qcGc.jpg

Last edited:

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    If you own a PK380, call Walther and order another take down tool. They have them in stock. Phone call, credit card number, shows up in the mail. Cost me a couple of bucks. I keep one in the gun case and one with my cleaning supplies.

Oh and if you need a cheap range holster. You can use an original Fobus for the glock 26/27. It is a little loose. Just put some of those fuzzy self stick velcro pads in some strategic places. I found one in a box of used holsters for $10.

I also found that a Streamlight TLR-3 can be made to fit the gun. I had to modify one of the keys with a Dremel.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODktMjAxMTA1MTgtMjIwOS5qcGc.jpg

Have you found any grips that play nicely with it? I actually picked one up today, it's a blast to shoot but a bit thin on the grip for my liking. Thought about a Hogue hand-all jr, but wasn't sure.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Have you found any grips that play nicely with it? I actually picked one up today, it's a blast to shoot but a bit thin on the grip for my liking. Thought about a Hogue hand-all jr, but wasn't sure.

No. I have small hands so the grip fits just fine. Gun is my wife's and it works well for her. With the finger grooves and curves I think an aftermarket rubber grip would be hard to find.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Other than its annoying to have a special tool to take it down, the field strip isnt too bad, actually easier than most pistols because of the lighter recoil spring.

The one my wife has is a dream to shoot, seems to fit anybody's hand well, and hasnt been too picky about ammo. Even shooting the hot Buffalo Bore +Ps it is very manageable to shoot, and accurate enough to end a fight.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    No. I have small hands so the grip fits just fine. Gun is my wife's and it works well for her. With the finger grooves and curves I think an aftermarket rubber grip would be hard to find.

I was thinking a Hogue hand-all jr, would work due to the fact that it only has the one curve. It'd adequate for me since i'm not exactly looking for more grip per se, but a thicker, softer grip.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Excellent gun, but I actually got rid of mine and have held onto my Bersa Thunder 380s..very reliable, very accurate, and inexpensive...

Personal preference more than anything perhaps.

Enjoy yours... you will like it.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    What was the problem with the tool? Just didn't feel like you wanted something else to lose? Provided you have the tool, is it difficult to field strip?

You had to exert some major pressure with the tool so the tool & slot didn't get boogered up. An actual metal screwdriver might work better, & be a better fit for the slot.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Which did you get, the model 04 or 05?

It's been several months, but I think that it was the model 03 for medium sized grips. I had the Hogue Handal Jr slip on grip on it first and didn't care for it. I like Pachmyer much better.

Another issue my wife had was that there is a small hole on the back left & right side of the pistol where a screw or rivet is used to connect the two sides of the frame. She had carpal tunnel surgery several years ago and that small hole was causing discomfort from recoil. I put a tiny bit of dark grey felt tape over that hole and she has not had an issue since.

Also, if your into lasers, Walther makes one designed for that handgun for around $115.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think the quality is real good for the money, but personally I don't like the way Walther has set up the Mag release for their pistols. I never quite have gotten used to it. Not a deal breaker but an annoyance to me. My :twocents:

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I got my PK380 a little over a year ago. I don't carry very often, but when I do it is my most common choice. They are thin like me and conceal well with my build. I shoot left handed and the full ambidextrous safety and magazine release was the selling point. I have found it very intuitive to use when usually I have to try and adapt to a right biased world.

Nothing can compete with my 1911, but I have grown fond of this Walther. My only issue is the key operated trigger lock. I no longer use it after it did not release and the plastic trigger broke. It was repaired under warranty with no fuss.

Scott

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    It's been several months, but I think that it was the model 03 for medium sized grips. I had the Hogue Handal Jr slip on grip on it first and didn't care for it. I like Pachmyer much better.

Another issue my wife had was that there is a small hole on the back left & right side of the pistol where a screw or rivet is used to connect the two sides of the frame. She had carpal tunnel surgery several years ago and that small hole was causing discomfort from recoil. I put a tiny bit of dark grey felt tape over that hole and she has not had an issue since.

Also, if your into lasers, Walther makes one designed for that handgun for around $115.

Really, the medium sized one? Seemed like it would be too big according to what they fit (on pachmyar's site). What was the problem with the handall jr?

Top Bottom