• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Did all of Indiana have vehicle emission testing back in the 1970's?

I was telling a guy at work that we did, then got to thinking that maybe I was confusing Indiana with Colorado. It's hell getting old :( ...at least thats my best excuse.

TIA

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I remember going with my mom for vehicle inspection every year, and the little sticker in the window. I was too young to know or care much about what all they were doing, but emission was probably a part of it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    60s - early 70s; I remember when we stopped having to go. Not by year, but I remember wondering why we stopped renewing the stickers.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    60s - early 70s; I remember when we stopped having to go. Not by year, but I remember wondering why we stopped renewing the stickers.

Thats the way I remember it...the 70's. If we had inspections, it was defiantly before I left Indiana in 1980.

The sticker went on the drivers side windshield.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There was a vehicle safety inspection required in Indiana for many years. There were specific "licensed" repair shops that performed the inspections. Most of the time they found something wrong, and a repair was necessary. I remember one year I needed tie rod ends. Funny thing, I had them "replaced" the previous year by the same shop. Suddenly they were covered under warranty, and replaced at no charge.

That law allowing citizens to be scammed every year eventually went away.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Did all of Indiana have vehicle emission testing back in the 1970's?

NO! As a lifelong central Indiana resident, I've NEVER has an emission test or emissions inspection of any vehicle. Indiana used to do annual vehicle safety inspections. They checked things like ball joints, brakes, exhaust, tires, lights, horn, etc. But, they have NEVER has emissions inspections where they stuck something up your tailpipe and measured your exhaust gasses.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    There was a vehicle safety inspection required in Indiana for many years. There were specific "licensed" repair shops that performed the inspections. Most of the time they found something wrong, and a repair was necessary. I remember one year I needed tie rod ends. Funny thing, I had them "replaced" the previous year by the same shop. Suddenly they were covered under warranty, and replaced at no charge.

NO! As a lifelong central Indiana resident, I've NEVER has an emission test or emissions inspection of any vehicle. Indiana used to do annual vehicle safety inspections. They checked things like ball joints, brakes, exhaust, tires, lights, horn, etc. But, they have NEVER has emissions inspections where they stuck something up your tailpipe and measured your exhaust gasses.

I think you guys are right...it was a safety check. Emissions was in Colorado.
    Thanks for straightening me out on that.

I think you mean NW IN... I grew up in NE IN and never knew there was such a thing until I went to college and my room-mate was talking about the emissions testing... I looked at him like he was an alien or something... :n00b:

I tried to google the answer before I asked here, and learned the emission checks are (were) for Lake and Porter counties only.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012

They were a joke, the guy that did them in the town I grew up in would take your money and hand you a sticker and never look at your car.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Emissions are alive and well in da region (lake and porter county for the rest of you)
    I wish there was safety inspections for the state but as previously stated, all that would do in most places is cause more corruption :(
    But if you could see some of the cars running around out there next to you and your family...............:xmad:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    In the early days of the "safety inspections" I pulled into one of the official stations in my Chevy Corvair, and they refused to do an inspection of it . They told me that they wouldn't inspect it because if there was anything wrong with it , they couldn't fix it because they "didn't have the metric tools to work on them foreign (pronounced "fern") jobs." :n00b:
    I decided I didn't want them even selling me gasoline, and left. :rolleyes:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Yep. Cost was $4.00 for the inspection. Wasn't for emissions, it was a safety inspection. No cracks in the windshield, horn had to work, good tires and exhaust system were needed as well as all lights had to work. After seeing some vehicles on the road today part of me wished thet would bring it back.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom