• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    We have all heard that right? Variety is the spice of life. I don’t think this is case with life saving hardware. If you want to change something everyday try your underwear or watch. Try to carry the same gear, in the same place.

The question always comes up, what is the best folder for self-defense? After the preprogrammed internet responses of “there are no good self defense folders” or “the one you have with you when the fight starts” we can look forward to people listing their favorite knives, ones that they purchased based on cool factor, price, or someone else’s advise.

The stumbling point of folders for self-defense is not lock failures but in deploying them. Under stress people have a hard time deploying something the size of a pistol from a purpose built holster. Now we are going to try to deploy a small knife from a tight pocket. If you are not legally allowed to carry a firearm you would not roll over and die submitting yourself to violent attacks, the same is true with folders instead of fixed blade. You train to be the best you can with what you can carry every day, all the time, not once in a while. When it comes to knives, especially folders this takes practice. And practice necessitates a training knife, if your knife folds than so should your trainer.

We endorse the Spyderco Endura and Delicas and here is why-

Availability- both knives are available all over the world from many sources from internet shopping to the PX.

Configuration- both knife are easily set up for tip-up/tip-down carry as well as right or left handed carry.

Availability of a trainer- actually Spyderco’s trainers would be better described as drones since they are exactly the same as the live knife but with dull/blunt rounded blade. This is what separates the Endura and Delica from any other self-defense folder at its price point and way above.

There is no way to safely train with any live blade, especially in the case of a folder. Having a drone of your life folder allows you to work dynamic situations, which build confidence in your skills.

It is OK to have lots of knives; as a matter of fact I encourage it. Just consider the Endura and Delicas as your daily drivers.- George

Bottom knife pictured is the Spyderco Endura Trainier, above it is the Sharkee Open Folder Trainer (also mimics one of the most common edged weapons in the street, the steak knife)

Sharkee001.jpg

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Of course, that is the problem though. Most companies and makers selling knives intended for SD don't offer trainers. I have a list of what I what I advocate for Primary Defense Folders. For availability, and price though, the Spydercos can't be beat.- George

Top Bottom