• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I recently added some life insurance to give my wife some more security if something should happen to me. During the interview with the agent, I answered all questions completely honestly. When he asked if I smoked, I told him I quit smoking 3.5 years ago but I told him I still use nicotine in the form of vaping. He said the question asked about tobacco use so he recorded the answer as a "no".

I must admit to being concerned about this. If something were to happen and a test were done for nicotine, I would test positive. My concern is that this would allow them to deny coverage and eliminate the security I am trying to create for my wife. This is not meant to be a debate about the benefits or problems with vaping itself. I simply want to know if I need to be concerned about the validity of the life insurance policy I am paying for.

I would greatly appreciate some input from anyone that is in the industry or that has previously dealt with a similar issue. Thanks.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I recently added some life insurance to give my wife some more security if something should happen to me. During the interview with the agent, I answered all questions completely honestly. When he asked if I smoked, I told him I quit smoking 3.5 years ago but I told him I still use nicotine in the form of vaping. He said the question asked about tobacco use so he recorded the answer as a "no".

I must admit to being concerned about this. If something were to happen and a test were done for nicotine, I would test positive. My concern is that this would allow them to deny coverage and eliminate the security I am trying to create for my wife. This is not meant to be a debate about the benefits or problems with vaping itself. I simply want to know if I need to be concerned about the validity of the life insurance policy I am paying for.

I would greatly appreciate some input from anyone that is in the industry or that has previously dealt with a similar issue. Thanks.

I would personally want something other than the agent's verbal agreement that vaping does not constitute "tobacco use". Many insurance companies definitions of "tobacco use" now include vaping. Mine does. Worst case scenario, something happens and they deny coverage based on a positive nicotine test. Do you want to rely on "the agent said it didn't count" as your only defense?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    They will very likely drill you with the tobacco user rate, which is generally about double the non tobacco user rate.

My insurance company did this to me because although I wasn't a smoker, I admitted to smoking pot nearly a year before the underwriting. They guy told me, be honest, they don't care about pot use, just tobacco. I didn't even fail the drug screen, I simply verbally admitted I had done it in the past.

I had to pay the tobacco rate for 3 full years before they would reevaluate the policy. I had to submit to a new medical screen and drug test. Once I passed that, they dropped the monthly premium.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I would personally want something other than the agent's verbal agreement that vaping does not constitute "tobacco use". Many insurance companies definitions of "tobacco use" now include vaping. Mine does. Worst case scenario, something happens and they deny coverage based on a positive nicotine test. Do you want to rely on "the agent said it didn't count" as your only defense?

Of course not. That's why I created the thread. The agent that sold me this policy does not work directly for the insurance company in question. I'm thinking about calling the insurance company directly and asking them. Just wondering if I would be better off just taking my chances. Although I doubt any company would submit to a payout without making sure they couldn't get out of it. I really don't know what rights insurance companies have as far as testing after the fact.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

I agree with chez, but I do have a legitimate follow up question: Is a tox screen likely to be done if the circumstances of the death don't necessitate it? I don't know if this is standard or not.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I agree with chez, but I do have a legitimate follow up question: Is a tox screen likely to be done if the circumstances of the death don't necessitate it? I don't know if this is standard or not.

This is why I was hoping for some input from someone in the industry or experience dealing with a similar issue. I may be better off just leaving the policy alone and gradually eliminating the nicotine on my own. The only risk there would be having to make a claim on the policy before I succeed in doing so. There are many people who still vape without using any nicotine at all.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    So...if I am a nonsmoker but I spend an evening with friends who smoke inhaling their cigarette smoke, would I not test positive for nicotine? There are many ways you could be exposed and test positive I would think. I think I would leave it alone.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Where does the nicotine come from?

Nicotine is a part of most liquids used in e-cigarettes. E-cigs are basically just a new high tech delivery system for nicotine. I haven't had a real cigarette for over 3.5 years. Yet I readily admit that I am still adidcted to nicotine.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Where does the nicotine come from?

Wait. I see the purpose of your question now. You are asking if the nicotine in e-cigs is derived from tobacco. If it is, using e-cigs is the same as using tobacco. I do not have a definitive answer to your question. Maybe someone else can provide more info on this.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It's basically the same as the flu vaccine, am I right?

Lol, j/k. I know the juice is fresh-squeezed from the fruit of nicotrees.

That second line made me giggle like a school girl.

Wait. I see the purpose of your question now. You are asking if the nicotine in e-cigs is derived from tobacco. If it is, using e-cigs is the same as using tobacco. I do not have a definitive answer to your question. Maybe someone else can provide more info on this.

Yeah I didn't realize what he was getting at either lol

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm interested in what the insurance company does when a claim is filed. I'd assume they do everything they can not to pay the money out. I've been fortunate enough to never have to deal with it.

Top Bottom