• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Dimitri Christakis lays it out pretty clearly. Hours of television at an early age may promote hyperactivity and hinder brain development.

I highly recommend this video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoT7qH_uVNo[/ame]

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would agree...our 4 year old loves watching TV. When we limit it we have good behavior....when we don't limit it, we have behavior problems, and that does seem to support the hyperactivity part. Plus, lots of the "KIDS" shows (quotes for emphasis) are garbage these days. No more Looney Toons or Scooby Doo...we have Spongebob, iCarley, and a bunch of other absolute crap shows.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was always disappointed that the "vchip" function mandated by our beloved leaders didn't allow us to screen out programs below a certain rating. I didn't want to damage my son's brain by giving him access to the garbage that passes for TVY7, so I had to filter out whole channels, like Disney and Nickelodeon.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I would agree...our 4 year old loves watching TV. When we limit it we have good behavior....when we don't limit it, we have behavior problems, and that does seem to support the hyperactivity part. Plus, lots of the "KIDS" shows (quotes for emphasis) are garbage these days. No more Looney Toons or Scooby Doo...we have Spongebob, iCarley, and a bunch of other absolute crap shows.

Are you wanting your kid's role models to be that irresponsible wabbit hunter that has terrible trigger discipline and a coyote that has access to high explosives, regardless of how dangerous he is with them? What about that group of delusional dope smokers that go around looking for trouble?:rolleyes:

:):

I haven't watched the video yet, but the thread title alone has some merit.

I have a 7 year old son with ADD and you could easily add an "H" into that acronym if he watched too much TV on a regular basis.

During the week, Xander gets to watch PBS Kids (learning shows with no adult undertones) in the morning while eating breakfast and he gets between 30-60 minutes of one of his favorite super-hero cartoons/movies when he's getting ready for bed...If bedtime rolls around and he isn't asleep, the TV gets turned off. He HATES falling asleep with no TV. He has learned to mute the volume so he doesn't get hooked on an episode and stay awake past lights-out.

He gets to watch more TV on the weekends and that's when he can get hyperactive sometimes...Sports and hanging out with kids his age suppresses that most weekends.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    What about that group of delusional dope smokers that go around looking for trouble?:rolleyes:

:): /
    Watched that show for years myself as a kid and never got it until I saw a shirt at a Dead show that siad "Pass scoobie the doobie".

I wondered why i always like vans and was a rather wild child back in the day, It's not my fault blame "scoobie doobie do".

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I watched a lot of TV as a child and I turned out OK, I think

Hannah+googly+eyes.jpg

googly-eyes-kinect-game-sports.jpg

Seriously, I agree. The TV has become a babysitter. A way for parents to avoid interaction with kids. I find myself turning ours off more and more, and getting my daughter involved in other activities that keep us more in touch. It's surprising how much happier and well behaved she is.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    As a parent of three young children, I have to disagree with most of the comments here. I didn't watch the video, but here is what I have learned. I have three boys, ages 5, 3, and 9 months. We don't have cable or satellite, so the only childrens programming available is from public TV. "Most" of the programming there is quite good, with educational emphasis throughout. My 5-year old has learned about migratory habits of birds, hibernation, his vowels, the colors of the rainbow, and the pronunciation of some words, and the meanings of others through programs like Wildkratts, Sesame Street, Electric Company, Martha Speaks, etc. There are some drivel shows, like Arthur, Thomas and Friends, and Green Screen Adventures, to name a few. But, so long as we don't let the boys veg out in front of the TV, the information that they are absorbing is helping them excel in reading, writing, and math.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wait a minute.... You want us to watch a video about how bad "videos" are? :D

My little girl gets a couple of hours of Nick2 per day right now. She really enjoys some of the shows, and they are actually not too bad. She has picked up all kinds of words and concepts, that Mom and I are also working on with her. Her favorite is Jack's Big Music Show, which is just downright fun. Blue's Clues and the Backyardigans are not all that bad, either. Most shows she only watches for a minute, when something catches her attention. The rest of the time she is playing and following us around.

That said, the tube is off for the vast majority of the day, and we do closely monitor what is on.

I do worry about the shows she will want to watch in the next few years. The stuff on Nickelodeon is NOT appropriate for ANYONE, let alone a little girl.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I didn't want to damage my son's brain by giving him access to the garbage that passes for TVY7, so I had to filter out whole channels, like Disney and Nickelodeon.

I do worry about the shows she will want to watch in the next few years. The stuff on Nickelodeon is NOT appropriate for ANYONE, let alone a little girl.

Can you guys both say more about this? About the inappropriate material on kid-centric channels. Good points for discussion.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Can you guys both say more about this? About the inappropriate material on kid-centric channels. Good points for discussion.

Spongebob is just plain wrong. 20 minutes of nearly ALL the behaviors we want to avoid. It is like toddler crack, though, and they just STARE at it. It has been banned from my house. There are tons of cartoons that fall into this same category - normalizing outlandish behavior.

From my quick (all I can take is 30 seconds) review of the "teen" shows, they are all about lying, cheating, sex, and drugs. And not all in negative ways. I skipped across the Nick Teen channel one evening, and was a tad shocked at what "we" find appropriate for Jr. High kids now.

The Penguins are effing HILARIOUS. :laugh:

There are some really good shows on Nick Jr., though. I know my girl has picked up a few things ONLY from the shows (words/phrases that Mom and don't use), and that's OK. My girl saw a picture of a paw print the other day, pointed and yelled "CLUE!" (parents will get he reference). I thought it was great. She also counts along (up to 3) when the cartoons count, and sings along with her favorite songs. Not bad for a toddler just turning 2 this month.

So, yeah, there are a LOT of really bad influences on TV (my opinion), but there are a few gems as well. Thankfully, as a parent, I have the HONOR (and responsibility) of choosing what influences I want for my girl.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

The iCarley show and a few others show very young teenage girls more or less living on their own with an older cousin, and facing some fairly adult situations. Not uncommon for a sit-com, and I wouldn't even say it is that riske' compared to regular network programming.

The worst part IMHO is the language and the sass that the main characters use towards adults and towards each other...on a network specifically targeted for children. I know that shows like Desparate Housewives or what ever the latest lame adult sit-com is in the prime-time slot is not kid friendly. I didn't realize that much of what Nick is showing now is not even teen friendly.

Our 4 year old has really started copping a major attitude with us over trvial things. We thought it was just part of growing up as we're first time parents.

Then we were watching a show with her and realized that much of the bad behavior and smart arse remarks she was making was verbatem from those shows.

Benny-

How can I find fault with the looney toons man, I grew up watching the re-runs of the shows my parents watched when they were kids, and we both turned out ok (I think).... :D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    There are tons of cartoons that fall into this same category - normalizing outlandish behavior.
    That is really the theme these days. The networks are doing their best to inundate children with hyperactive and inappropriate material. They want to normalize bad behavior and to sexualize children at younger ages.

So, yeah, there are a LOT of really bad influences on TV (my opinion), but there are a few gems as well. Thankfully, as a parent, I have the HONOR (and responsibility) of choosing what influences I want for my girl.
    That's really good. More parents should be this way. I think people should be diligent with everything, even the somewhat-trustworthy networks.

I don't think its just "the times a-changin" that causes networks to adopt such raunchy programming on children's networks. I think they want it this way.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Actually, while I do place some responsibility on the networks (and writers, directors, artists, voice actors, etc...), what I really blame are the consumers. Take Spongebob. That show sells millions in advertising revenue and licensed toys/books/clothes. Nickelodeon is simply providing a product the generates revenue. Sure, they have to follow some FCC rules and try not to **** off parents, but if it sells...... well, they sell it.

If parents didn't want their kids idolizing a talking sponge, then they shouldn't promote it (either actively or passively).

Networks are "evil" only if you consider the free market "evil". They will run whatever pays. Really good shows can get canned because they don't have the "impressions" (Think Firefly). Really bad shows get a dozen spin-offs, because people tune in (look at all the Housewives of {insert Big City Here} crap).

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Networks are "evil" only if you consider the free market "evil". They will run whatever pays.
    Sure, I think that is a factor.

But also consider that most of networks are owned by only a few mega-corporations. Viacom owns Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, CMT, BET, Comedy Central, Spike, and more. Imagine how much influence a few people at the top have over the popular culture of the entire country. Not just by adjusting to market trends, but holding the power to actually shape the market, the trends, and societal "norms."

Top Bottom