• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    I picked out a couple new tires for my john boat trailer this weekend at Harbor Freight. These were 4.8-8 tires malingering on new 4 lug wheels. When I brought them to the register, the kid told me he needed to give the Indiana BMV my information. I was skeptical, so I looked around to see the computer screen he was using. Sure enough, it said something about BMV information at the top of the screen with a bunch of fields that had to be filled in order to complete the transaction. This was the kids first time experiencing this, so we both learned something. There were two DOT numbers on the box and on other number on the box he called the VIN number that had to be entered into the computer. I also had to provide my name, address, and phone number. This information was apparently being forwarded to the BMV. Of course, I was trying to save money using a coupon for each tire, so my wife had to go through the whole process as well. I was not happy about it, but the cashier was a 16 yr old kid and I didn't want to give him a hard time about it. Has anyone else experienced this? Can someone explain why the BMV is keeping track of what tires I buy for my fishing boat?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I recently bought a passenger tire at NTSB, and two trailer tires from Levin. No questions.

Unless they typed the info in without asking me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You didn't buy tires, he sold you a trailer.

Yeah, somewhere a bean counter at HF corporate is trying to figure out which vendor they bought your trailer from wholesale, and the BMV is trying to figure out why you sold your trailer to yourself... twice. LOL :laugh:

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    HF sells trailers. I bet the tires you picked up go on one of the new ones. Where the tires in boxes?

Yes. The tires were in the boxes. They were the only two tires on the shelf that were in boxes. Thanks for the responses. I hope this isn't going to cause a problem with the BMV if they think I bought a new trailer now.

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    Update: I just called Harbor Freight and was informed that this is standard procedure for all of their trailer tires due to the litigious nature of the society in which we currently live. Apparently the tires actually have a VIN # and DOT #. They sell the tires but the tires are actually manufactured by Goodyear. Although the computer screen said BMV, the personal information I gave them was for their corporate office records and is not sent to the BMV. In the event that a tire blew out and caused damage resulting in a lawsuit, they want to make sure Goodyear gets sued instead of Harbor Freight. The gal I talked to had been there for years and knew all about it. She said she would make sure to inform the other employees so they could explain it better to the customer. Mystery solved. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Update: I just called Harbor Freight and was informed that this is standard procedure for all of their trailer tires due to the litigious nature of the society in which we currently live. Apparently the tires actually have a VIN # and DOT #. They sell the tires but the tires are actually manufactured by Goodyear. Although the computer screen said BMV, the personal information I gave them was for their corporate office records and is not sent to the BMV. In the event that a tire blew out and caused damage resulting in a lawsuit, they want to make sure Goodyear gets sued instead of Harbor Freight. The gal I talked to had been there for years and knew all about it. She said she would make sure to inform the other employees so they could explain it better to the customer. Mystery solved. :rolleyes:

Um, this isn't entirely true. I worked in a Goodyear manufacturing plant for 11 years in various departments from mixing to shipping. The tires have a DOT # on them but it isn't a unique number, there is also no VIN or other individually identifiable number assigned to them. The DOT #, plant manufacture number, date code and possibly mold number are the only numbers other than size, inflation pressures, load ranges etc.

Of course in todays ever litigous society this could have changed in the 15 years since I've been there. The logistics of having individual identifiers however suggest that they still don't do that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom