• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I got stuck on the way to work this AM. First time in my life. I drive an Audi A4, so it has AWD and is generally a snow beast, but the snow was deep enough on either side I couldn't open the doors.

Somebody had went through my road with a truck and I followed his tracks for 3/4 mile, with snow coming up over the hood. 1st gear, traction control off, 6K RPM, feeling pretty proud of myself when I come to some guy in a 4X4 Chevy. He was stuck, half on half off the road with no 4 ways on, in near whiteout conditions. Had to slam on the brakes and stop.

I rocked it back and forth until I had about a 10 foot stretch I could move in, crawled out the window and kicked down the mound of snow in between the tracks I had been following for several feet. Used my long handled snow scraper to dig out around my door(note to self, put a shovel in the trunk) and to get some of the snow out from under the front end. Got back in and made a bonzai run for it. Wind was out of the west, so my north/south road was bad. Made it to the first east/west road and turned. My 1/2 hour drive to work still took over an hour, even after I got unstuck.

I don't know what color St Joe/Elkhart counties are, but out in the rural parts, it's BAD.

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    St Joe is orange, Elkhart is red.
    The north/south roads in northern Marshall county (Red) suck.
    I usually take back roads to work instead of US 6 in the winter. Not a chance today.
    Get there then they cancel day shift. City folks have no idea what it's like out in the sticks.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is like gounghog day. Wake up, shovel my plowed in and drifted driveway, go to work and drive around on snow covered, icy roads, Stand out into the cold several times a night. Then I go home, go to bed and do the same freaking thing again. Day after day after day after freaking day!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    How does a person know when the warning is lifted?

They update the map as things change. INDOT has lots of stuff on Face book with constant updates as well. I know some don't like Facebook but I really like the weather information that is shared there.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    St Joe Co has implemented a double, super-duper, snow emergency until 6PM Tuesday. They will refrain from passing out $2500 tickets until after 7PM tonight so the peasants who are out and about can make it back home.

I'm surprised we don't get more of these. $2500 a ticket should be a serious money maker for the county.:popcorn:

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    How does a person know when the warning is lifted?

If your on a computer, click the link in the first post.

Check to see if your county police department has an emergency alert system in place. If so, you can normally add your phone number to the call list via on-line (or simply give it to them while asking). Then you'll not only know of extreme weather conditions, but your get info on major accidents that have the local roads closed.

They will call at the beginning and end of the alerts. I like it, cause no matter where I am, I get the info without going to look for it. :rockwoot:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used to hate winter until I bought a snowmobile.

When I lived up north I figured I would make the most of it and I bought a couple new sleds. I even bought one of those snow mobile kidde trailers so the Mrs. could drag the kids around. My job required mandatory overtime for emergencies. For the next FIVE years there was record low snowfall, and when there was some snow, I was required to work. When I sold the sleds 6 years after I bought them, they probably did not have 15 hours on them. I spent more time getting them ready for storage and getting them ready for winter, than I did riding. No one wants to pay anything for 6 year old sleds, so I took a big loss.

The next year I had a different job and it snowed all winter. Bad timing on my part.

Top Bottom