• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have all the equipment to start reloading my henry all weather but as I'm looking through my various reloading book, I see there's several options for reloading data. I obviously do not want to blow me or my new rifle up, so picking the correct data is important. Any help?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have all the equipment to start reloading my henry all weather but as I'm looking through my various reloading book, I see there's several options for reloading data. I obviously do not want to blow me or my new rifle up, so picking the correct data is important. Any help?
    Not sure which manual you're using, but Hodgdon's online data lists 3 different categories for 45-70. Trap Door would be a light load, like Cowboy Action loads. Then there are loads for Lever Actions and loads for Modern Rifles. Your Henry should be able to handle about any of those.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have the Hornady app and the laymen book... I was looking at the ruger #1 loads but at 50k c.u.p., I wanted to make sure my henry could take that without any damage

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have the Hornady app and the laymen book... I was looking at the ruger #1 loads but at 50k c.u.p., I wanted to make sure my henry could take that without any damage
    Well, the Hodgdon pressures are listed in PSI (not CUP), but here's a comparison. Safest would be to start with the Lever Action I think, unless and until you find out differently.

Lever Action:
    1679343710547.png

Modern Rifle:
    1679343784174.png

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You do NOT want Ruger #1 loads in your Henry, unless you're trying to blow it up.
    Modern lever actions will handle the Marlin loads, and as stated up thread, trapdoor loads will be bunny farts by company.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Who and what were the ruger #1 loads intended for? Strictly ruger lever gun?

Also, what factory loaded 45-70 are trap load and which are 1895 marlin?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Who and what were the ruger #1 loads intended for? Strictly ruger lever gun?

Also, what factory loaded 45-70 are trap load and which are 1895 marlin?
    It's actually pretty easy.
    Ruger loads are often referred to as Ruger ONLY loads, and for a very good reason.
    ONLY Ruger's are built to withstand those pressures.
    Actually, that's not exactly true, because Thompson Center Contender and Encores will handle Ruger loads, but not much else.
    Now, the lower end is trapdoor loads, not trap.
    These loads are loaded to very low pressure because of the metallurgy in antique firearms. The steel of the day was brittle and will only hold black powder pressures.
    Pretty much everything else falls into the Marlin or modern lever gun loads.

Feel free to run any of the trapdoor or Marlin (modern lever) loads in your Henry.

Stay far away from the Ruger loads.

The Ruger loads will say Ruger only.
    The trapdoor loads will say trapdoor.
    Modern lever loads usually say Marlin.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It's actually pretty easy.
    Ruger loads are often referred to as Ruger ONLY loads, and for a very good reason.
    ONLY Ruger's are built to withstand those pressures.
    Actually, that's not exactly true, because Thompson Center Contender and Encores will handle Ruger loads, but not much else.
    Now, the lower end is trapdoor loads, not trap.
    These loads are loaded to very low pressure because of the metallurgy in antique firearms. The steel of the day was brittle and will only hold black powder pressures.
    Pretty much everything else falls into the Marlin or modern lever gun loads.

Feel free to run any of the trapdoor or Marlin (modern lever) loads in your Henry.

Stay far away from the Ruger loads.

The Ruger loads will say Ruger only.
    The trapdoor loads will say trapdoor.
    Modern lever loads usually say Marlin.

That make sense... I'll look into the marlin loads

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    A Lot of Good Info above.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, Also keep in mund that you Must use either Flat Nose Projectiles or Hornady Leverevolution ("rubber tipped") projectiles when reloading for the Marlin Lever action-Tubular magazine. No Round Nose or Pointed Projectiles in there or Bad Things Will happen!
    Love the 45-70 Govt.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    A Lot of Good Info above.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, Also keep in mund that you Must use either Flat Nose Projectiles or Hornady Leverevolution ("rubber tipped") projectiles when reloading for the Marlin Lever action-Tubular magazine. No Round Nose or Pointed Projectiles in there or Bad Things Will happen!
    Love the 45-70 Govt.
    The mold I ordered will produce these...I yet to cast one though
    46-405VG.png

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    My answer: A new Model 1886 Winchester in .45-70. Loading should be Marlin or modern lever action loads and definitely NOT Ruger loads. Happy reloading and be careful.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom