Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    there has been a recent change to
    the law:
    "
    *(7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;"

If you are a member of a CMP club you can go to & from that range or event.

but it is less hassle to just have your permit.
    CMP club? How do I know if a club I belong to qualifies?

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I got my permit back in 2002 and had bought my 1st gun before my permit arrived.... A sheriff buying a gun at the shooting range told me that I was able to transport. He said to put the gun unloaded in my trunk and the ammo my glove box and I would be legal. Thats all I know. I did this to visit the range several times b4 my permit came in. This is my experience, not my opinion. Don't judge me a bad turtle for not knowing. TURTLE! TURTLE!

It can be done this way when you purchase the gun or you you are transporting to a certified gun smith for repairs per IC 35.47.2.2 #11. But not to the range.

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    This part of Indiana Law should be void for vagueness. The entire law hinges on the interpretation of the word 'carrying'. I believe that the spirit in which the law was originally written was intended to bar carrying without a license on one's person. This law should be re-worded to reflect such, and to make an allowance for transportation of a firearm, with restrictions of course.[/left]
    I firmly believe that the intent of this law, was not to prevent people from transporting their guns to and from shooting events, but to keep people from running around with a gun in their car. In fact most gun owners that I still talk to believe it is perfectly legal to transport your gun, unloaded in the trunk.
    Having said that I do believe it is very possible that this poorly written law is partially responsible for the relative ease of getting a carry permit, in Indiana.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    CMP club? How do I know if a club I belong to qualifies?

Go here: Club Search

It can be done this way when you purchase the gun or you you are transporting to a certified gun smith for repairs per IC 35.47.2.2 #11. But not to the range.

Actually, you don't have to be transporting it for repairs. The phrasing of the law is that you are transporting it "to a place of repair". If your range offers gunsmithing services, you're good to go. IANAL, TINLA.

Blessings,
    Bill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have brought guns at auctions and they said you could put them in agun case to take home.

Yes, that falls under "taking it home from place of purchase" and is one of the limited exceptions to the LTCH requirement.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Huh. I was informed by a ffl a long time ago that it was federal law that I was allowed to transport my weapon to and from anywhere I was legitimately allowed to have it anyway... (ie,.. Pop's place to hunt or target shoot, range, gunshop, gunsmith, moving from state to state.. etc.. ) and that this superseded any state law. What gives?
    Andy

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They were probably referring to the Peaceable Journey Statute (see the INGO FAQ for more info). In any case, they were either wrong or misinterpreting it.

Top Bottom