• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I had a question regarding transporting firearms in a vehicle to a range. I've gone to the range before with rifles and such in the trunk unloaded, seperate from ammo, etc but what is the legality regarding handguns? I don't have my carry permit yet and I was wondering if I can still legally transport my Glock. Basically my question is, if I field strip the gun (rendering it incapable of firing) and take it to the range would I be in violation of the law? I'm quite confused about these transportation laws! :dunno:

If this isn't the correct place to post this I apologize, I wasn't sure where it should go.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    IC 35-47-2-1​
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    35-47-2-1 Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a
    person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the
    person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued
    under this chapter being in the person's possession.​

So you can't transport it to the range. Why even take a chance? Get your Carry Permit.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    However range etiquette dictates that you don't bring a loaded gun to the firing line. Load and unload at the firing line only.

Exception: A handgun securely holstered.

PistolPete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    BroadRipple
    I had a question regarding transporting firearms in a vehicle to a range. I've gone to the range before with rifles and such in the trunk unloaded, seperate from ammo, etc but what is the legality regarding handguns? I don't have my carry permit yet and I was wondering if I can still legally transport my Glock. Basically my question is, if I field strip the gun (rendering it incapable of firing) and take it to the range would I be in violation of the law? I'm quite confused about these transportation laws! :dunno:

If this isn't the correct place to post this I apologize, I wasn't sure where it should go.
    I had to watch my pistol at home and wait for my carry permit back in January. It took about 6 weeks to get it. It's better to wait until you get it rather risk getting a misdemeanor charge.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Yeah, I just applied for my permit about 5 days ago so I'm anxiously awaiting for it to arrive in about a month and a half or so.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    When I first moved to Indiana, I mistakenly thought it was okay to transport unloaded handguns. Thankfully, I now have my LTCH and do not even have to worry about unloading them or separating the ammo from the gun, etc.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    IC 35-47-2-1​
    35-47-2-1 Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a
    person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.​

"No officer, I do not consent to a search of my vehicle."

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    IC 35-47-2-1​
    person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the
    person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued
    under this chapter being in the person's possession.​

there has been a recent change to
    the law:
    "
    *(7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;"

If you are a member of a CMP club you can go to & from that range or event.

but it is less hassle to just have your permit.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This business about not being able to transport one's own property (an unloaded handgun secured in the trunk) is nonsense and a good example of a law that needs CHANGING. Heck, I moved here from Michigan (15 years ago I think), California of the midwest, and even Michiganders could transport their guns if they were unloaded. And this was way before Michigan had any shall issue laws. I don't worry about it with my LTCH, obviously, but it just strikes me as ridiculous. The right is to keep AND BEAR (i.e. CARRY) arms. The KEEPING part is meaningless without the BEARING part.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    IC 35-47-2-1​

under this chapter being in the person's possession.

This part of Indiana Law should be void for vagueness. The entire law hinges on the interpretation of the word 'carrying'. I believe that the spirit in which the law was originally written was intended to bar carrying without a license on one's person. This law should be re-worded to reflect such, and to make an allowance for transportation of a firearm, with restrictions of course.​

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This part of Indiana Law should be void for vagueness. The entire law hinges on the interpretation of the word 'carrying'. I believe that the spirit in which the law was originally written was intended to bar carrying without a license on one's person. This law should be re-worded to reflect such, and to make an allowance for transportation of a firearm, with restrictions of course.[/left]

Excellent point!

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    This part of Indiana Law should be void for vagueness. The entire law hinges on the interpretation of the word 'carrying'. I believe that the spirit in which the law was originally written was intended to bar carrying without a license on one's person. This law should be re-worded to reflect such, and to make an allowance for transportation of a firearm, with restrictions of course.[/left]

:) Exactly.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Is anyone aware of any case law on this issue?

I don't know the case I.D. off hand but back around 1994 I was dating a woman who sat on a jury who convicted a guy for , among other crimes, transporting with out a license.. the gun was unloaded 0 and he had a target / hunting permit... but was not going to or from range...

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I got my permit back in 2002 and had bought my 1st gun before my permit arrived.... A sheriff buying a gun at the shooting range told me that I was able to transport. He said to put the gun unloaded in my trunk and the ammo my glove box and I would be legal. Thats all I know. I did this to visit the range several times b4 my permit came in. This is my experience, not my opinion. Don't judge me a bad turtle for not knowing. TURTLE! TURTLE!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I got my permit back in 2002 and had bought my 1st gun before my permit arrived.... A sheriff buying a gun at the shooting range told me that I was able to transport. He said to put the gun unloaded in my trunk and the ammo my glove box and I would be legal. Thats all I know. I did this to visit the range several times b4 my permit came in. This is my experience, not my opinion. Don't judge me a bad turtle for not knowing. TURTLE! TURTLE!

No slam on you for not knowing (though "ignorance of the law is no excuse") but I'm sure you know now to hire a competent lawyer or look up the laws for yourself, rather than trust a LEO to inform you. Note that this is NOT a cop-bash, simply, as has been noted many times, an awareness of the fact that police have many laws to enforce and don't always know them well enough to keep you legal. It might stand you in good stead to have asked if you remember the LEO's name and if you have a witness as to what you were told, but it's always better to know for sure, and that means to check for yourself.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

Top Bottom