• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I'm still pretty new to the whole forum. I've dabbled in a few different areas, but this one is probably the most interesting to me. I read and read about all the different courses offered and the things people say about them. While I agree that 450 or 500 for a weekend training event is a bit steep, I still feel it is worth it. I loved the amount of time at ranges I got while in the Army. The fact I worked with a group of people I had total confidence in their abilities made it even better. Seriously, putting a price on refining skills that could and are potentially lifesaving is impossible. It is so easy to find a reason not to do something, but getting serious and doing is always harder. Although the payoff of the later choice is always more rewarding.

Taking a class from a former Navy Seal or Special whatever always seems cool, and I can assure you what you learn will always be top notch. In reality how far will this take you? Showing up to the latest offering from Mr. Costa is no doubt going to give you a wealth of fundamentals to get you going, but it's the time at the range between those courses that make you better and will make the difference in the long run.

Thinking back to the hours of death by power point, stalking a imaginary enemy in a "glass house", endless days of dry runs through a shoot house still make me want to vomit. It was fun though. At the time we all hated the seemingly never ending cycle of repeating our steps about a million times. We took all the little things we learned in very boring and well structured class and built on that our own personal flow of doing them. Plus running through a house chucking rounds with near surgical precision amidst the chaos of 6 guys yelling a mess of words that only they understand is a blast.. Seriously if you get a chance do it.

Today I spend my time, with my meager budget, taking little snippets of something I pick up from a fellow shooter, video, book and apply it the best I can. Putting 3-5 rounds in my Mags and walking through drills till I am out of ammo is how I spend most of my days at the range.

Find 2-3 buddies and plan a range day each month, and practice together. With that group take one "class" a season, and go back home a work on that as a team. More can be achieved when a team is working together than 4 guys who showed up for a class that one time.

The basics I go by are pretty simple.

Physical Fitness is key.
    I don't mean you have to spend 6 hours in the gym every day, but 2-3 times a week do something active; ride a bike, chase the kids or dog (whichever is slower), throw your bag on and just walk. If your so terribly out of shape no amount of knowledge is going to help you.

You should fire 10 times as many imaginary rounds than live ones.
    The military is the master of saving ammo, it's called dry fire lanes. Those dry repetitions will pay off once you load the Mags though.

Work as a team.
    Having a few buddies to enjoy the fun is always better than doing it with strangers. To start find a few strangers to turn into some of your buddies.

Keep it simple...
    Simple... like it says above.

I am in no way an expert, but I've been privileged to train with some fantastic guys and learn quite a bit. I've got a pretty solid foundation and just looking to keep it sharp and expand as I feel it needs to be.

If a few guys in the NE want to get semi-serious and get something rolling let me know.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Number one, good for you for realizing that your health is hugely important.

Dry firing, great practice of muscle memory. Recently I have liked this drill. Fire carbine change mag, draw pistol, fire, change mag. Great practice

Good luck getting guys together. It pays huge dividends. Schedules will always conflict. Do your marksmanship on your own, and save your time with your group for some more advanced drills. Be open to training that is not firearm related. Medical, Comms, Preparedness, etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Gamez235 ... good message.

One of the reasons why I tend to refer to classes as "instruction" is because classes aren't comprehensive "training" anymore than shooting matches are. "Training" includes all of the repetitions you do outside of the classes and all of the other things you do to make yourself better.

Top Bottom