• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive recently been looking into getting a motorcycle and had been hoping to trade with someone on craigslist. I found a bike that I'm interested in but its in Michigan and a majority of what I have to trade are guns. I know an FFL is needed to sell guns to someone out of state so I figured it would be the same for a trade. I just wanted to find out more info. Thanks.

Erik

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    thanks for the info, I guess ill have to sell the guns here

All that needs to happen is that the "buyer" go through the NIC background check, and take possession in his state of residence.
    You could take the guns there, let him inspect them, then transfer them via FFL if the deal suits you both.

No need to sell the guns here, unless you want to.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    Clearly up to you but guns talk to a lot of guys just as loud if not louder than cash. My wife would be upset if I sold something for cash and then used the cash on something else. If I did a straight up trade she would see it differently. May work the same for your friend from the north.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Clearly up to you but guns talk to a lot of guys just as loud if not louder than cash. My wife would be upset if I sold something for cash and then used the cash on something else. If I did a straight up trade she would see it differently. May work the same for your friend from the north.

This.

I traded two handguns to someone in IL a few years ago. I went to his house to check out a trailer, everything looked good but he wanted $1400 cash. I asked if he was interested in anything on trade, he said "only if you've got some 9mm pistols". I said I do but since I'm from IN, it'll have to go through a dealer. He was fine with that, we agreed on a trade (value on my end about $8-900. I went home and got the guns, made sure they were unloaded, put them in their factory cases and met him at the closest dealer to his house. He agreed on the trade, signed the title and handed it to me. He filled out his paperwork, FFL took the guns for the IL waiting period, I paid the transfer fees, and took the trailer home.

Sometimes guns talk louder than cash. I know I've taken gun trades over a greater amount of cash for reasons stated above. For example if I sold a motorcycle for $2k, and then spent $2k on a gun, I would get murdered in my sleep. However, if I traded my $2k motorcycle for a $1500 gun, all's fair and everyone's happy. Wife might complain that I didn't take cash, but I won't be in as much trouble as if I had cash in my hand at some point and then spent it without approval from the CFO.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    This.

I traded two handguns to someone in IL a few years ago. I went to his house to check out a trailer, everything looked good but he wanted $1400 cash. I asked if he was interested in anything on trade, he said "only if you've got some 9mm pistols". I said I do but since I'm from IN, it'll have to go through a dealer. He was fine with that, we agreed on a trade (value on my end about $8-900. I went home and got the guns, made sure they were unloaded, put them in their factory cases and met him at the closest dealer to his house. He agreed on the trade, signed the title and handed it to me. He filled out his paperwork, FFL took the guns for the IL waiting period, I paid the transfer fees, and took the trailer home.

Sometimes guns talk louder than cash. I know I've taken gun trades over a greater amount of cash for reasons stated above. For example if I sold a motorcycle for $2k, and then spent $2k on a gun, I would get murdered in my sleep. However, if I traded my $2k motorcycle for a $1500 gun, all's fair and everyone's happy. Wife might complain that I didn't take cash, but I won't be in as much trouble as if I had cash in my hand at some point and then spent it without approval from the CFO.

THIS

Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hmm, you guys have a good point. The bike I was looking at was in the 2-2.5k range and I was going to offer 1k in cash and a mini-14 and a yugo sks. I much like many of yall wouldnt want to extort people for "panic" prices, but for some reason id feel less guilty with a trade.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hmm, you guys have a good point. The bike I was looking at was in the 2-2.5k range and I was going to offer 1k in cash and a mini-14 and a yugo sks. I much like many of yall wouldnt want to extort people for "panic" prices, but for some reason id feel less guilty with a trade.

Bring it up to the other party! Just explain to them that because you're in different states, that the trading of the guns would have to be via a FFL. An FFL in either of your states would suffice since they're long guns. (handguns have to go through an FFL in the receiving party's state)

-J-

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have done it a time or two.

If the guy isn't up for it, that may throw up a red flag anyway.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom