• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I try to attend every Gun Show held in my local area. I consider Tipton, Kokomo, Lafayette, Lebanon "local" shows as well as some popup shows in other cities within 30-40 mile of Frankfort. In January 2017 there was not a Gun Show in any of these venues.

Come February 4th, there are three on the same dates, Tipton, Lafayette and Lebanon!

This seems ridiculous to me. Surely the show sponsors could know or find out when competitors are scheduling their shows. The fact they are scheduling on the same dates dilutes the offerings at each show as I am sure some vendors will have to choose which venue they will attend. It also means people like me will miss at least one show and quite possibly some items I would purchase. My son and I normally purchase between $200 to $500 at most shows we attend so at least one show will miss out on sales. As his normal work week includes every Saturday, he will be able to attend only one of the three shows.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are you sure they aren't all the same promoter?
    Central Indiana Gun Shows has some scheduling issues.
    They seem to find the most inconvenient times/places for shows.

One example is what I call the "Bob Rhorman show" in Lafayette.
    Central Indiana Gun shows schedules a show at the Tippecanoe county fairgrounds every year, on the same weekend the Rhorman takes over all the parking for his annual tent sale.

I've asked Central Indiana shows about this multiple times.
    They evidently don't care what I think.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I try to attend every Gun Show held in my local area. I consider Tipton, Kokomo, Lafayette, Lebanon "local" shows as well as some popup shows in other cities within 30-40 mile of Frankfort. In January 2017 there was not a Gun Show in any of these venues.

Come February 4th, there are three on the same dates, Tipton, Lafayette and Lebanon!

This seems ridiculous to me. Surely the show sponsors could know or find out when competitors are scheduling their shows. The fact they are scheduling on the same dates dilutes the offerings at each show as I am sure some vendors will have to choose which venue they will attend. It also means people like me will miss at least one show and quite possibly some items I would purchase. My son and I normally purchase between $200 to $500 at most shows we attend so at least one show will miss out on sales. As his normal work week includes every Saturday, he will be able to attend only one of the three shows.

Let's go on the presumption that they are separate promoters. Each live in their own tiny bubble of show dates. Each think that 1. the locals will flock to their show and 2. people within 25-40 miles will drive to their show because it is the best show. They probably don't care about any other shows. There's also the fact most venues are booked 1-2 years out.
    The $200-$500 a show you spend is presumably not at the promoter's table but is spread out among all the vendors. I have never seen the vendors report to the promoter on how much they sold or made unless it is a personal friend of the promoter. Even then I'm will to be the numbers are skewed. I have seen promoters walk the floor asking and seeing how it was going. Generally it's a 3 second interaction along the line of "P: How's it going? V: Great. (Or Bad depending on the traffic.) P: Thanks" That's about it.

I can't see them being the same promoter. Three shows that far apart would stretch their resources very thin. Next time you go into a show take a mental count of who you see working. At the last Stout Field show there were 2 people at the door checking firearms, 2 people at the main entrance stamping hands and collecting admission, 1 person at the second entrance stamping hands and collecting admission and the promoter walking around looking for deals and putting out any fires that pop up. That's a total of 6 people. There may be a wife or 2 in the background so lets bump that number up to 8. 8 people to run a single show for 2 long days. Do you think the promoter can find 16 trustworthy people to setup, run, tear down and collect his money for 2 other shows? It would make zero sense for shows that close.

I understand you wanting to go to every one you can as I do the same. Sometimes it's just nice to get out of the house. But I have to decide which one is worth going to.
    Dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    can anyone tell me why they build a gas station on every corner of an intersection.
    why the build 2 home improvement stores next door to each other.
    why there are 3 auto tire stores with in 1/4 mile and three more in 2 miles.
    auto dealers, drug stores, food stores, pizza ON AND ON AND ON

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    What if you are looking for something and don't find it at Tipton then you have a couple options to choose from in Lafayette and Lebanon. I've left the Kokomo show disappointed that there wasn't another show near by to attend. Not everyone is free each weekend to attend gun shows so maybe they feel that they can draw more of a crowd if there are multiple shows within a certain area?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    First, there is no love amongst promoters....no way in hell promoters are going to work together with their show schedules. Second, all three of these shows this coming weekend are three different promoters. Third, it is a known fact that several promoters purposely schedule their shows on the same dates and sometimes in the same city/town out of spite and hate for the other promoter (Note: Central Indiana Gun Shows (CIG) is not one of these promoters), which is actually a poor business decision on their part if you ask me.

A lot of times promoters can't just pick a weekend that they want because of other events that are already scheduled at that venue. Also, with most of these venues, as a promoter you have to commit to so many shows a year in order to be able to use that venue. The above two reasons is what leads to the problem of multiple shows on the same weekend that are relatively close to each other. Availability of the venue and committing to a certain number of shows a year is the reason that the Lafayette show falls on the same weekend that Bob Rhorman has his big tent sale at the fairgrounds.

Last edited:

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Having dealt with similar shows for other hobbies, I can tell you that the most important consideration for each promoter is whether or not he can sell tables and get repeat business from the vendors. If they're happy (and keep coming back) then the promoter is happy.

And I've attended each of those shows - none is worth the time and effort.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    A lot of times promoters can't just pick a weekend that they want because of other events that are already scheduled at that venue. Also, with most of these venues, as a promoter you have to commit to so many shows a year in order to be able to use that venue. The above two reasons is what leads to the problem of multiple shows on the same weekend that are relatively close to each other. Availability of the venue and committing to a certain number of shows a year is the reason that the Lafayette show falls on the same weekend that Bob Rhorman has his big tent sale at the fairgrounds.

Another factor is that gun shows are much moree successful in the winter months, and there are just a few weekends. Attendance in the fall and spring isn't as good, unless the weather is bad and folks can't enjoy the outdoors.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    First, there is no love amongst promoters....no way in hell promoters are going to work together with their show schedules. Second, all three of these shows this coming weekend are three different promoters. Third, it is a known fact that several promoters purposely schedule their shows on the same dates and sometimes in the same city/town out of spite and hate for the other promoter (Note: Central Indiana Gun Shows (CIG) is not one of these promoters), which is actually a poor business decision on their part if you ask me.

Well said, Brad!

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County

I agree with other dave, very well said. This wasn't so much of a problem years ago. With all these new promoters popping up and scheduling over the established promoters, it hurts the dealers and the customers.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    As a dealer, I sometimes get frustrated as well. I won't do a show with a promoter that I feel is, let's say less than honorable. I have done shows with all 3 promoters that have shows this weekend, and have had good shows with all of them. I chose to do the Lafayette show over the others, because of the business I have done there in the past. Tipton was a good show for me also, but Lafayette had a larger crowd, so I go where I have the best chance to sell my inventory. I tend to go with bigger is better, as the costumer has more to choose from. This is my opinion, and like I said, I have done good with all 3, but I did much better at the Lafayette show.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Last year Shipshewana had two on the same date only about a mile apart, CPI and Gunslingers.

Exactly, it was really cool not having to travel so far to see if the other show had something I was interested in. Who complains about more gun shows? If these multiple shows see a drop in vendors or visitors, the market will correct itself.

Last edited:
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon

Technically, most shows are around the three day mark as Lebanon's is February 3,4,5. So this gives an individual a couple days to shop around if ones schedule allows him to do so. I know that Lebanons show is relatively small in the past. Never stops me from attending in hopes this show grows yearly. Anyway, good luck on your search for whatever your looking for!!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Technically, most shows are around the three day mark as Lebanon's is February 3,4,5. So this gives an individual a couple days to shop around if ones schedule allows him to do so. I know that Lebanons show is relatively small in the past. Never stops me from attending in hopes this show grows yearly. Anyway, good luck on your search for whatever your looking for!!

With the exception of the Indy 1500 and Gunslinger shows, most shows (Indiana shows) are two day shows (Saturday & Sunday), and you even have a few one day shows.

I believe this is the first time for a Gunslinger show in Lebanon. Previous shows in Lebanon the last few years were put on by Central Indiana Gun Shows (CIG).

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    With the exception of the Indy 1500 and Gunslinger shows, most shows (Indiana shows) are two day shows (Saturday & Sunday), and you even have a few one day shows.

I believe this is the first time for a Gunslinger show in Lebanon. Previous shows in Lebanon the last few years were put on by Central Indiana Gun Shows (CIG).

Im hoping it turns out to be better than previous years in Lebanon. It's 3 minutes away from my casa, I'd drive the golf cart if it was a bit warmer!!

Top Bottom