• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMDRAKE71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Brownsburg,
    I would like to have a gunsmith to thread a 6.5 Grendel chambered barrel for an AR15 barrel extension, pin it in place and then drill an appropriate sized gas port for a 20" barrel.

I've gotten tired of waiting for a 6.5 Grendel barrel to come available at a decent price so I've taken a relatively new 6.5 Arisaka barrel off my shelf of spare barrels and used hand tools and files to get the chamber area to the right length for the smaller cartridge but now I need someone with a lathe to thread the barrel and then mate and pin the extension to the new barrel.

Any gunsmith in the central Indiana want to pick up a quick project? I'm willing to drive up to 2hrs from Indianapolis for this project.

Right now its a light facing cut to true the end of the chamber and then turn the chamber area down to .810 diameter for a length of 0.620″. The standard AR-15 barrel extension is threaded 0.810″-16. Threading of the extension should be 16TPI and torqued down to 140ft-lbs prior to pinning in place.

The gas port would then need to be drilled at .120" to .125" in line with the extension pin.

I'm sure we have experienced AR-15 Smiths on this forum that what I typed above is old hat but I'm also willing to work this project with a good machinist with a lathe who is willing to measure twice-cut once so I wrote the measurements down in the thread.

I don't have access to a lathe since I retired from the Army so I'm at the need of others to complete this project of mine.

Bruce

BMDRAKE71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Brownsburg,
    Allen,

I'm at 25 posts and can't send a reply PM until I hit 50 so I posted here in the thread.

Thank you for the quick reply and yes I am interested if you want to work on this project. I have the extension as well as the barrel and we could meet sometime this week after work or this weekend (I am working Saturday afternoon) to look at the materials and determine how to proceed.

You prefer cash, check or liquid payment for machine work? ;)

Bruce

BMDRAKE71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Brownsburg,
    You had me interested until paragraph #2.

Why? What are your misgivings? The barrel is a .264 bore and the steel is from the T38 Arisaka series and not a last ditch T99. The T38's barrel quality is on par or better than a lot of 1903 Springfields or WWII-era Mausers. I have already rough-chambered the barrel for the 6.5 Grendel and only requires the extension threading and a final reamer to meet the final criteria for a proper headspace. The chamber area for the new cartridge is thicker than and it actually will have a thicker overall barrel diameter than many 5.56 pencil profile A1 barrels.

Would you care to see the T99 Arisaka I rebarreled with a rethreaded 1903 Springfield 30-06 barrel? Or the Small Ring Mauser I have in 35 Remington with a rethreaded Rem 700 barrel?

Bruce

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom