• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I live in the midwest and it gets cold here... as in crazy cold, at least for me it's crazy cold. I spent most of the first 23 years of my life in Florida / S. Florida, but even still we have stretches of days, if not a full week where the temps never rise out of the teens. I have a hard time going without shooting for that long and I believe in training in the elements from time to time.

Standard charging handles suck for heavy gloves and some extended or ambi handles have pinch points that not only can rip skin off if you are running them hard but can shred winter gloves as well.

I found the NLX223 ambi handle from Next Level Arms does a pretty good job of taking care of those issues.

Anyone else run their AR's in single digit temperatures and have a charging handle that works well for them?
    :ingo:

[video=youtube;uQw5GbYsOqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQw5GbYsOqI[/video]

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I shoot coyotes year round and some of the best trips have been the coldest. Their food supply is dwindling so make any kind of critter noise and they'll come running. The key features I look for in a charging handle include a large latch and gas mitigation. The BCM Gunfighter mod 3 and the Armageddon GMS-15 are my current favorites.

Aren't there a couple other manufacturers that claim "fewest moving parts"? Mega's Side Lock being one of them.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I didn't know charging handles had much to do with gas mitigation. Can you guys explain that for me?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It's mostly for when you suppress a direct impingement gun, the gas has a tendency to blow back and get into the shooters eyes. So in the case of the PRI Gasbuster, there's a channel in the underneath side to help funnel it out the left side, thus away from the shooters face (if your right handed).

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    I agree with the OP, for gloved shooting, a larger latch is necessary. I hate the cold as well. I run the PRI Gasbuster as well for my AR platforms, the gas mitigation does help some, but I always use those in conjunction with adjustable gas blocks. Once tuned you can really cut the gas down and by forcing more gas down the barrel instead of through the tube, you can get higher velocities (not large differences but some).

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    What is the best charging handle for price point? In other words not necessarily the most expensive but the best quality for the money.

If you don't need gas mitigation, the Strike Industries ARCH is great and can be found for less than $30. If you do intend to shoot suppressed and you're on a budget, the BCG Gunfighter goes on sale quite often for $30-$35.

Top Bottom