Thoughts on a 300 blackout suppressed bolt gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    EVERYONE shoots 2 miles on the internet!

I *Thought* I knew how to shoot, fair amount of hits at 250-350, before I joined the Marine Corps...
    I was 17, what did I know?.

One thing about the Marines, standardized rifles & ammo!
    No bullet BC, velocity, hardware changes (variables) like civilian ammo/firearms have.

I had an AR-15 as a kid, didn't like it much but I understood the bullet crossed the line of sight twice, so I scored 40/40 on silhouette targets in boot camp.

I couldn't do the math in my head, so I memorized every variable for every range.
    Memory is the only thing that saved me from washing out...
    (And a lot of math practice)

I graduated exactly smack in the middle of my class...
    When you consider the standards the Marine Corps has, that wasn't too bad for an Indiana farm kid with no formal training before the Marines.

I wasn't good enough for shooting teams, I would up a field grunt.
    16 years of sand fleas, mosquitoes, leaches, frozen/roasted, experimental vaccinations, and stationed in some of the worst crap holes the world has to offer.

I hung around armorers & precision weapons guys so much I got an armorer's rating.
    Being ignorant it was the best way I could find to learn & keep up,
    The DDP (Defense Department Procurement, we called them the Death and Destruction People) were all classically educated in their fields, so I picked up a lot from them on how things are *Supposed* to work, and what goes wrong.

Anyone that can keep it in the numbers at 1,000 yards has had training,

Anyone that can keep it in the X ring at 1,000 yards has had SERIOUS training, and a crap load of practice!

Unless the river floods, I have 800 yards in the back yard.
    Its handy, so I still practice, but not as much as I probably should.
    Getting old sucks, loss of strength means loss of control, so I'm no where near what I used to be...

Gunsmith, serious reloader, 800 in the back yard, beverage fridge next to the shooting benches, you can see why my goober friends hang around...
    And it's not exactly military range rules around here, right now the range is littered with pumpkin scraps from the gardens! ;)

Stuff we didn't sell or put up for the winter got range duty as targets.
    It will probably work like fertilizer next year and I'll have to mow twice a week, but it was fun. :)

I wish we lived closer because it sounds like our experiences are mirrored. I grew up as a sorta country kid and I only did 3 years in Army Reserves with one trip over to "study abroad". I still put my nose to the charging handle like our drill sergeants had us do.

If you haven't already, take a look at some PRS types of matches, especially a Guardian. Those matches are a blast and I bet you'd do well at one.

My backyard range only goes to 300 yards and is currently littered with a 5x10 heaping trailer load of walnuts, pumpkins, and all the leftovers we cleaned out from the church pre school raised bed gardens. I'm hoping some of those pumpkins take root and I end up with a good crop next year.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I wish we lived closer because it sounds like our experiences are mirrored. I grew up as a sorta country kid and I only did 3 years in Army Reserves with one trip over to "study abroad". I still put my nose to the charging handle like our drill sergeants had us do.

If you haven't already, take a look at some PRS types of matches, especially a Guardian. Those matches are a blast and I bet you'd do well at one.

My backyard range only goes to 300 yards and is currently littered with a 5x10 heaping trailer load of walnuts, pumpkins, and all the leftovers we cleaned out from the church pre school raised bed gardens. I'm hoping some of those pumpkins take root and I end up with a good crop next year.

Living in the country isn't for everyone...
    Everyone expects to be 'Entertained' while it's mostly work or watching the grass grow. ;)

My wife has her friends over, they shoot .22 LR rifles & pistols some times, and will knit or needle point between times on the range.
    That drives a friend of mine up the wall, he does his Tom Hanks impression,
    "There no knitting on range time!"

I sent him security camera footage of the girls, their drinks & lawn chairs, all knitting next to the rifle rack just to poke him with a stick!

Most folks don't get country humor...

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Crappy video but heres some reloaded subsonics out of a 16" Ruger American and a 9" AR.

A few shots were placed into the dirt berm and then a few shots were put on steel so you could hear the difference. Like I said in the videos shots are at 125 yards.

The Ruger is incredibly quiet! Zero sound back at the shooters ear and very low recoil.
    The AR was also pretty quiet. The loudest part of shooting the AR was the spring moving inside the buffer tube. I couldn't hear the shot over the sound of the spring moving back and forth. So I may mess around with some different springs to try to find something quieter.

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="1137" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="1137" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Can't wait to get in on the quiet shooting. My can is still in jail, so no hurry though. Just picked up a Remington 700 pistol in .300bo. It has a Sig brace on it that I don't care for, so I'll have to change that out. Got a muzzle devise coming so I can mount the can... once it gets out of jail.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My Remington 700 PC in .300 blackout. It's not a factory gun, it's one that was pieced together, but it's here now. Dealer sold it with a Sig brace, but I like the SB brace, better. I added the Midwest Industries folder so it will pack up nicely. The Surefire (for when my can gets out of ATF jail) just came in, so I can finally take a photo of it. Plus I had to take the bolt to the gunsmith to have it threaded for the Badger ordinance knob. Yes, the Atlas in a chineezium fake. My only real one in on my .243.

300 blackout pistol in woods 1.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom