• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should the US military keep the M4 or is time for a new rifle?

• Total voters

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    And one of the 5.56x45 myths that just won't die pops up again. Can anybody actually cite a government source that states that the 5.56x45 was designed to wound, and not kill?

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    And one of the 5.56x45 myths that just won't die pops up again. Can anybody actually cite a government source that states that the 5.56x45 was designed to wound, and not kill?

I can clearly remember being told it was a " Death Dealing Smoke Pole" in basic. Shoot to wound never came up.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Oh, Im not saying its light by any means! Im in favor of the 5.56 as the standard round over the 7.62.
    I know enough about the "SUCK" of too much gear. I was a 240B Gunner for years. 15 months of witch I was in Iraq with the 101st walking down canals and goat trails.. It sucked, but your everyone's best friend when SHTF.

Both rounds have its place is what I'm getting at with this. Very true most of the time we couldn't take full advantage of the range of the 5.56, we were to busy shooting, moving and communicating to be able to take that 300 meter shot. While the 240s, and SDM m14s took great advantage of our range and penetration. We work in a hand in hand relationship, but we could never switch back to 7.62 as a standard round. The weight it too much.

I am not arguing the fact that it has its place on the Battlefield lineup. Just discussing that it is NOT meant for the Majority of Soldiers. That is why we have a Squad Designated Marksman... ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What does a 249 weigh? More or less than the 60 (sorry for the thread jack)

M249 weighs in at 17 lbs empty, and 22 lbs with a 200 round drum slung.
    M60 weighs in at 23 lbs empty and 26 lbs with a 100 rds belt.
    M240 weighs in at 26 lbs empty and 29 lbs with a 100 rds belt.

Could be wrong but that is what my mind says is right.... :dunno:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I thought the SCAR was going to replace the M-16. Totally different design there. The 5.56 is an accurate round, but lacks a little in horse power. I read some stuff on the 6.8x43mm, but don't think that is the answer either.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe it could be time for a bullpup design?
    Im not a military expert but since nowadays the military does more CQC than in the past a shorter weapon could be a good option.
    Or you could have a bullpup rifle and still keep the lenght of the gun to the over all lenght of the M4.That way you have a longer barrel and more velocity with the same cartdrige.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Maybe it could be time for a bullpup design?
    Im not a military expert but since nowadays the military does more CQC than in the past a shorter weapon could be a good option.
    Or you could have a bullpup rifle and still keep the lenght of the gun to the over all lenght of the M4.That way you have a longer barrel and more velocity with the same cartdrige.

You mean like the SA80 or the Steyr AUG... ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I thought the SCAR was going to replace the M-16. Totally different design there. The 5.56 is an accurate round, but lacks a little in horse power. I read some stuff on the 6.8x43mm, but don't think that is the answer either.

Only the SOCOM boys will get to play with the SCAR.
    The US Military will be using the 5.56 for Decades to come. Would be a LOT of re-tooling and equipping to move away from the platform...

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    If anybody gets a replacement rifle, it will be from the M4/M16 family, at least until something is designed that is a huge step forward from the current M4s, and can be purchased at a reasonable price. It will take a long time for the 5.56x45 to go away because of NATO commonality.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What of the 6.5 round? I read where it eats the lunch of the 6.8 and is a great short, medium and longer range round, plus, fits well into an AR platform. No "armchair soldier" here, just throwing out thoughts.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Only the SOCOM boys will get to play with the SCAR.
    The US Military will be using the 5.56 for Decades to come. Would be a LOT of re-tooling and equipping to move away from the platform...

I hope not too many decades :fogey:. I want in on all that surplus that will hit the market.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    What of the 6.5 round? I read where it eats the lunch of the 6.8 and is a great short, medium and longer range round, plus, fits well into an AR platform. No "armchair soldier" here, just throwing out thoughts.

Convince the rest of NATO to adopt it...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You mean like the SA80 or the Steyr AUG... ;)

Yes or like the FA-MAS G2.

famas_g2.jpg

And I dont just say that cuz im french. ;)

Last edited:

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    I hate 'em cheating bastages.... :xmad:
    I wasn't always at Irwin, Once apon a time I was a Rakkasan.

And we don't cheat.. We just know the "Box" better and know how to work MILES. So what if out Vehicles can get near misses at 5K and kills at 2,500. What about my M4 that hits at 700m with a Aimpoint... :ar15:Try zeroing yo $hI+! :P

Top Bottom