• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickmandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Wheeler
    The trend seems to be ever smaller, harder to shoot handguns. How many people still prefer to carry a full size? I myself carry a Beretta 92fs.

Saminator67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2017
    Mooresville
    Full size glock 17 here. A smarter man than I told me that I should carry the largest handgun I can conceal and will actual carry. The 17 does that for me, and I feel good about 17+1.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I carry either a 4" XDs, mostly warmer weather, or a XDm 5.25 9mm. With a proper belt and a good holster, carrying a larger pistol is not that hard.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Briefly carried a full-size for a year or so... Colt 1911. But that was exclusively OC.

Since then, I suppose I have leaned toward smaller firearms... Typical rotation involves a compact, a sub-compact, and a pocket-size.

Most of my friends and family also in the compact/sub-compact area.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It depends on what I'm wearing, but over time I do agree that a full size is just as easy to carry and I feel most comfortable shooting full size and having more rounds in the weapon.

But sometimes I have to carry something smaller, more concealed or in my pocket and having something is better than nothing. :twocents:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been on a personal trend towards heavier handguns. I like the feel of shooting heavier guns and have added an all steel, railed compact CZ 75B to the rotation. The gun weighs the same as a full size 1911, but with a good belt and holster, you hardly notice the difference over a P01 (aluminum framed and almost 9oz lighter). On the 1911 side, I've been carrying full size more lately for the same reason. Heavy guns are a joy to shoot compared to light ones and heavy can be dealt with by using a good carry rig. Not much can be done to a small light pistol to make them shoot like a larger, heavier pistol.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I took defensive concepts 1 with Coach and BBI Saturday. It looked like half the class carried single stack guns. I was surprised, but know the trend for firearms purchases is towards single stack carry guns. I shot no better than the people with single stack guns with my full size m&p. When I got home from the class I talked to my wife about getting her a m&p shield.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I carry a G19 and would carry a G17 both just fine for edc with the right belt and holster, I noticed that some people don't want to invest on the proper gear to carry and that is why the chose something very small.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I wouldn't say smaller guns are harder to shoot. I'd say for the majority of people they're harder to shoot well though. I can get good hits at 25 yards all day with my LCP. Smaller guns are easier and more comfortable to carry and conceal. The reality is that as an average Jo you're not likely to need all that capacity on the rare event that you actually have to draw your gun and pull the trigger. But the beauty of it is that you can carry whatever you want :yesway:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I took defensive concepts 1 with Coach and BBI Saturday. It looked like half the class carried single stack guns. I was surprised, but know the trend for firearms purchases is towards single stack carry guns. I shot no better than the people with single stack guns with my full size m&p. When I got home from the class I talked to my wife about getting her a m&p shield.

That class is awesome.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Yeah, I am a 'gone small' guy, but my key is to be able to employ it quickly and accurately for that first shot, then if needed a second. From what I know, the first shot usually wins. For self protection, I think I only need 10 - 15 feet anyway.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I only carry a full size S&W third generation.
    I'm a big guy (6'4" and 240 lbs), but the real key to carrying that brute so comfortably is using the best carry rig that I could find, in this case a Kramer horsehide IWB#2.

Smith__Wesson_1006.jpg

Kramer_Holster_and_Gun_horizontal_zps7oqwovhk.jpg

Kramer_Holster_and_Gun_rear_horizontal_zpsdlosoth7.jpg

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I quit carrying a S&W model 60 in a pocket awhile back. Now I carry a S&W M&P 9 mm compact or full size IWB at 4-5 o'clock. I am more concerned that I am armed with something that works for me rather than what I can conceal completely.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My normal carry is a Sig P226 Legion SAO. If I'm going somewhere I have to conceal, I have no problem throwing on my Shield. Occasionally, if I'm going somewhere in sweats or shorts with no belt loops, I'll throw my wife's LCP II in my pocket. While I shoot the P226 the best, I can shoot the Shield and LCP II well enough to get the job done, if needed.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    I EDC a Glock 19, I practice and train with this gun, drawing from concealed, moving and engaging under pressure. I'm comfortable that I can employ this gun effectively. I've seen single stacks do well in the same environment but have not seen pocket pistols do it well. This isn't to say that it isn't possible or that there aren't those who can, I believe it requires time and training. At a gun range with plenty of time and no pressure I can hit a target at 25 yards with just about anything you what to put in my hand. However, I think you would be surprised how empty the center of the target is at 5 to 7 feet drawing from concealed under pressure if you've never done it.

For full disclosure, I used to be a person who was anti-pocket pistols but have been shown the error of my thinking. Pocket pistols have a purpose, I'd rather carry something than nothing, but I would caution those who believe that a pocket pistol will perform like a full size gun.

Top Bottom