The PC word or phrase that torques you off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I may step on some toes but I get a chuckle when I hear people refer to their significant others as "fiancee" when they have been living together for years.
    You crossed a line here buddy that I can not ignore. After almost 12 years together my wife and I plan to get married in 2016.

She hates the word fiancee and as someone in his 40's and 50's I hate boy friend and girl friend. Significant other is not much better. Fiancee is crap too but only one word so more efficient. So one day at a party I introduced her as my long time lover, life partner, significant other, common law wife, girl friend. We both hate labels. I just call her my wife. Our pending marriage is more of a legal thing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You crossed a line here buddy that I can not ignore. After almost 12 years together my wife and I plan to get married in 2016.

She hates the word fiancee and as someone in his 40's and 50's I hate boy friend and girl friend. Significant other is not much better. Fiancee is crap too but only one word so more efficient. So one day at a party I introduced her as my long time lover, life partner, significant other, common law wife, girl friend. We both hate labels. I just call her my wife. Our pending marriage is more of a legal thing.

What's wrong with "ol' lady"? :laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    "Common sense gun legislation"
    For that matter, the term "Common sense" in ANY reference.

Those who use this phrase are anything BUT common, and generally have no sense at all, common, horse, or otherwise...

Everyone wants to call it common sense when they have no facts or other logic to back up an argument. It is just common sense, you know?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI

You're going to marry your wife? Well, OK by me.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    What should it be called?

How about just "racism"?

I dunno. My son used the phrase a few months back. He's a good kid, but still has some growing up to do. I asked him for a definition and some examples. The best he could come up with was something about how standardized tests hold minorities back while giving an advantage to whites in academic settings.

I thought that the whole point of standardized tests (ISTEP, SAT, ACT, etc.) was to blindly determine whether a student, regardless of racial or ethnic background, could answer a question accurately. What have they learned? Can they solve problems? Do they comprehend a written passage? Is their education moving them towards a level of competency that will help them lead a successful life? Are they prepared to move on to the next step in their education?

Maybe if we jumped in the Wayback Machine & went to an era where there were separate water fountains & lunch counters for people of color, I could buy into the concept of "institutional racism". That crap has been illegal for decades.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How about just "racism"?

I dunno. My son used the phrase a few months back. He's a good kid, but still has some growing up to do. I asked him for a definition and some examples. The best he could come up with was something about how standardized tests hold minorities back while giving an advantage to whites in academic settings.

I thought that the whole point of standardized tests (ISTEP, SAT, ACT, etc.) was to blindly determine whether a student, regardless of racial or ethnic background, could answer a question accurately. What have they learned? Can they solve problems? Do they comprehend a written passage? Is their education moving them towards a level of competency that will help them lead a successful life? Are they prepared to move on to the next step in their education?

Maybe if we jumped in the Wayback Machine & went to an era where there were separate water fountains & lunch counters for people of color, I could buy into the concept of "institutional racism". That crap has been illegal for decades.

Would you like me to explain institutional racism to you? It is obvious that your son doesn't quite understand the concept.
    Here's a simple question. Do you believe in reverse racism? If you do, then you have an example of institutional racism.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Would you like me to explain institutional racism to you? It is obvious that your son doesn't quite understand the concept.
    Here's a simple question. Do you believe in reverse racism? If you do, then you have an example of institutional racism.

I'm not sure I'm following. I feel that history is pretty clear that persons of any race or ethnic group can arbitrarily disdain/hate others for the sole reason of nonmembership in that group, which is the concept I would expect this 'reverse racism' to turn on, only loaded with the baggage that presumable only one group is generally accepted as being capable of racism.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not sure I'm following. I feel that history is pretty clear that persons of any race or ethnic group can arbitrarily disdain/hate others for the sole reason of nonmembership in that group, which is the concept I would expect this 'reverse racism' to turn on, only loaded with the baggage that presumable only one group is generally accepted as being capable of racism.

No, that's not reverse racism. Reverse racism is often exhibited by members of the same race, giving preferential treatment to members of a group of which they are not part of, to right what they think are past wrongs. It has nothing to doing with thinking that the other group is superior, and actually could be based in the belief that the group getting preference is inferior. It can be exhibited socially, politically, judicially, and economically... hence why it can be a form on institutional racism. You follow?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom