Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm beginning to really hate shipping companies. More accurately, I'm really beginning to hate having anything shipped by anyone. Case in point: Radios inbound from eastern OH via FedSux. Ordered Saturday, shipped yesterday and FE has an arrival date of today between 10am and 3pm. I'm thinking that is sounding bogus but with a grand in radio equipment heading this way, I've been hanging around the house today just in case. Tracking shows it having still been in eastern OH as of 8am this morning. How bad is their system that they would put a delivery estimate out as early as 2 hours in the future while their own data shows the package still 6 hours away by truck?

Then, there's the MidwayUSA order that was shipped SurePost. It's been sitting as 'Label Created' since last Wednesday. I have no idea if it shipped and has gone dark, hasn't shipped or what's up with that. That one is on me though, as I've sworn to avoid SurePost at any cost and I let my guard down.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate crap like this. I'd much, much rather the company just state that it's shipped and should be here within 10 days than to try to predict the arrival with abominable accuracy.

:tantrum:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'm beginning to really hate shipping companies. More accurately, I'm really beginning to hate having anything shipped by anyone. Case in point: Radios inbound from eastern OH via FedSux. Ordered Saturday, shipped yesterday and FE has an arrival date of today between 10am and 3pm. I'm thinking that is sounding bogus but with a grand in radio equipment heading this way, I've been hanging around the house today just in case. Tracking shows it having still been in eastern OH as of 8am this morning. How bad is their system that they would put a delivery estimate out as early as 2 hours in the future while their own data shows the package still 6 hours away by truck?

Then, there's the MidwayUSA order that was shipped SurePost. It's been sitting as 'Label Created' since last Wednesday. I have no idea if it shipped and has gone dark, hasn't shipped or what's up with that. That one is on me though, as I've sworn to avoid SurePost at any cost and I let my guard down.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate crap like this. I'd much, much rather the company just state that it's shipped and should be here within 10 days than to try to predict the arrival with abominable accuracy.

:tantrum:

Your last paragraph is spot on.

Midway is sooo slow about shipping. They create a label and then it sits.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I’ve had FedEx show a delivery date and time on items that were already delivered. I NEVER use Surepost. It’s really called Neverpost.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Came home empty handed. I just couldn't get myself interested enough to make a decision and buy any guns today. Oh well.
    Nothing wrong with that. Thinking it over is not a bad thing, despite what the rest of the crew (and I) try and enable ;-)

What did you get a chance to look at today? These going to be adds to the collection or are you looking to displace something else? Just curious.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I know there is a knives subforum and I may wander in there, but what are folks that frequent this thread carrying for EDC blades? Anyone gotten into any auto/assisted opening knives. I haven't bought a new knife in decades since I used to frequent Smokey Mountain Knife Works when my parents lived nearby there. I'm still carrying a tanto tip Cold Steel Voyager foldable from decades ago.

I'll throw out a few quick things that have caught my eye recently, after I hear some thoughts. I'm not well versed in knives. I did reach out to Edged Tools and got some ideas recently.

Thoughts?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Nothing wrong with that. Thinking it over is not a bad thing.

What did you get a chance to look at today? These going to be adds to the collection or are you looking to displace something else? Just curious.
    Adding to the collection, I think (have a few guns I'm kinda "meh" about in my collection).

Looked at

P229 Legion
    P320 Legion Carry w/threaded barrel
    CZ 40P
    Tisas 1911 10mm
    Fusion 1911 10mm
    Magnum Research (Bul Armory) 1911 10mm
    Kimber Riptide Rapide 1911 9mm
    Canik Mete SFX Pro 9mm
    Several other Caniks
    CZ 457 MTR

Of the 10mm 1911's looked at, the Magnum Research was by far the nicest in terms of fit/finish/etc, but it was also the most money and had a bushingless bull barrel. It was $939, the Fusion was $880, the Tisas was $759.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Adding to the collection, I think (have a few guns I'm kinda "meh" about in my collection).

Looked at

P229 Legion
    P320 Legion Carry w/threaded barrel
    CZ 40P
    Tisas 1911 10mm
    Fusion 1911 10mm
    Magnum Research (Bul Armory) 1911 10mm
    Kimber Riptide 1911 9mm
    Canik Mete SFX Pro 9mm
    Several other Caniks
    CZ 457 MTR

Of the 10mm 1911's looked at, the Magnum Research was by far the nicest in terms of fit/finish/etc, but it was also the most money and had a bushingless bull barrel. It was $939, the Fusion was $880, the Tisas was $759.
    The 10mm 1911's were exactly what I was going to ask about as I read down your response. Interesting. I'd have to check those out. The SA Ronin would be interesting to me in that class of 10mm 1911 as well, but I'm not nearly as versed as you guys in the art of the 1911.

Is Magnum Research the importer for the Bul Armory 1911's now, or is there some other agreement? Was checking out the websites looking a bit to see what I could find on those.

Not sure I'd want another caliber, and would have to shoot one first, but a 10mm in 1911 would be interesting.

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I know there is a knives subforum and I may wander in there, but what are folks that frequent this thread carrying for EDC blades? Anyone gotten into any auto/assisted opening knives. I haven't bought a new knife in decades since I used to frequent Smokey Mountain Knife Works when my parents lived nearby there. I'm still carrying a tanto tip Cold Steel Voyager foldable from decades ago.

I'll throw out a few quick things that have caught my eye recently, after I hear some thoughts. I'm not well versed in knives. I did reach out to Edged Tools and got some ideas recently.

Thoughts?
    I started off with CRKT. I still have several, they are OK. I moved to Kershaw with their spring assisted. They work well. The past year I moved on to the Boker Kalashnikov. These are nice. They are a push button open. I did pick up a Boker Strike earlier this year. I like the Strike a little more than the Kalashnikov because it has a safety on it. BladeHQ - Boker Strike

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The 10mm 1911's were exactly what I was going to ask about as I read down your response. Interesting. I'd have to check those out. The SA Ronin would be interesting to me in that class of 10mm 1911 as well, but I'm not nearly as versed as you guys in the art of the 1911.

Is Magnum Research the importer for the Bul Armory 1911's now, or is there some other agreement? Was checking out the websites looking a bit to see what I could find on those.

Not sure I'd want another caliber, and would have to shoot one first, but a 10mm in 1911 would be interesting.
    The Ronin is one that I wanted to look at, but they didn't have one in stock.

I don't know the exact relationship other than the gun was a Magnum Research and it had Bul Armory on the other side.

The Tisas felt like my current Tisas .45 that I own. Not tight fitting, but not pure crap, just kinda okay I guess. The Fusion felt very nice and working the slide it gave me a glimpse of how my Dan Wesson feels (that roller bearing feel). It was a tight slide to frame fit and all the small parts looked/felt better than the Tisas. From what I've read, Fusion guns aren't the same quality since they moved to Florida. The Magnum Research was tight, looked great and felt like a Dan Wesson to me. I'm no 1911 expert though. All 3 had front grip strap serrations, which was nice.

That Kimber Rapide was pretty awesome but was just under $1400 and 9mm.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

Thoughts?

Knives are one of my things !
    The Benchmade Volli (center of pic) is my favorite spring-assisted knives, but it's been discontinued.

i-zkdF3tr-L.jpg

For a very close substitute, I'd recommend the Benchmade Barrage
    Link: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-580BK-Barrage--3690

It has 154 CM steel (my current favorite), and a great lock-up mechanism, by a quality manufacturer. :twocents:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I will admit it here - I would buy a new production Kimber. Granted, my one single experience with Kimber was negative but that was awhile ago now and I think they have moved well past that era.
    I really haven't looked at their offerings. The store employee handed the Kimber to me, I didn't request it.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I started off with CRKT. I still have several, they are OK. I moved to Kershaw with their spring assisted. They work well. The past year I moved on to the Boker Kalashnikov. These are nice. They are a push button open. I did pick up a Boker Strike earlier this year. I like the Strike a little more than the Kalashnikov because it has a safety on it. BladeHQ - Boker Strike
    Cool, will check it out. I've got a Boker collectible knife (that I'm sure I ruined by carrying a bit).

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Knives are one of my things !
    The Benchmade Volli (center of pic) is my favorite spring-assisted knives, but it's been discontinued.

i-zkdF3tr-L.jpg

For a very close substitute, I'd recommend the Benchmade Barrage
    Link: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-580BK-Barrage--3690

It has 154 CM steel (my current favorite), and a great lock-up mechanism, by a quality manufacturer. :twocents:
    Will check this one out as well. Been looking at some Benchmade.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I know there is a knives subforum and I may wander in there, but what are folks that frequent this thread carrying for EDC blades? ...

20230814_164400.jpg

Top to bottom...

Kershaw flip knife for around the yard, woods etc.

Microtech otf auto followed by the Benchmade auto. These are carried wherever there is a better chance of needing to cut meat than opening boxes.

Victorinox. Normally carried in tandem with one of the autos for actual non-meat cutting. This and it's twins are probably my most used knives over the last 40 years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom