• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Buying a new tent. Thinking about a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4. Needs to be very good at stadning up to storms, rain. Must fit 3 adults. It will be a camping tent, weight isnt an issue, solid construction and weather proof is more important. March to November 3 season type.
    Anyone use Big Agnes, any thoughts or ideas??

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If weight is not an issue, and it has to stand up to storms then I would go canvas. I've been through a lot of rain in boy scouts and as a scouter. In NE Ohio the only way we kept dry was to fly a large tarp over the tent, keeping the runoff 3-4 feet away from the bottom of the tent.

Tents with a "tarp" as the bottom do much better than a tarp under a fabric bottom. No matter how you try the water will end up on top of the tarp.

Most poly fabric tents, in heavy rain, except for the heaviest/most expensive of poly tents, rain will come through the top and fly.

Last weekend I camped in my "big" tent (12'x15') and we had a real good storm, it was dry in the middle, but everything 2 feet in got wet. (It's a relatively cheap tent.)

Everything leaks. Without a tarp over the tent Good canvas keeps you drier than anything else, IMO.

Check out Panther Primatives.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Yeah canvas is a great idea, just make sure you have lots of people to help you carry it, especially when it's soaking wet. It hold like 10 times its own weight in water. It is very warm in the winter though.

I have camped in my Eureka Timberline 4 in all weather and all seasons, and it has never leaked a drop. You do need to seam seal the thing every other year though, but if you take care of it you'll get 15 years or more use from it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've been very happy with my Eureka. It's an older 6-person Equinox. Oddly enough, it went through a decent storm (enough lightning to read by, and SHEETS of rain) pitched in the same spot as Kludges tent, only a few years earlier! Stayed nice and dry inside, even the floor.

I have a blue tarp cut just a bit smaller than the floor for a ground cloth. I sealed the heck out of the seems, and have touched it up a few times. I'm sure it needs it again by now...

The downside is the packed size/weight. The tent, stakes, tarp, and such get their own 33 gallon Rubbermaid tote. I do carry an extra tarp, just in case the rain fly doesn't hold up!

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I really like my Eureka 4 season assault outfitter tent. I have used it in all but the winter season. It took a couple pretty good storms by the gulf a couple of years ago and stayed dry inside. The floor and 6 inches up the sides are make like a waterproof tub I war really happy with its performance. It says it is for 4 people. They would have to be small people or like to sleep touching each other. It is comfortable for two people and a large dog. I would not want to take it to the arctic or K-2, but just about anything around here that would get normally get thrown at you, I would trust it to take. It is the civilian big brother of the military 2 man tent used by many of our guys in the mid-east.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Yeah canvas is a great idea, just make sure you have lots of people to help you carry it, especially when it's soaking wet. It hold like 10 times its own weight in water. It is very warm in the winter though.

I have camped in my Eureka Timberline 4 in all weather and all seasons, and it has never leaked a drop. You do need to seam seal the thing every other year though, but if you take care of it you'll get 15 years or more use from it.

Is that the Outfitter or just the Timberline? I have been looking at the Timberline Outfitter 4 thru Campmor.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    New Tents

Scheck out REI.com. They have a good selection, and their REI brand stuff is top rated. Some things to think about is # of Doors. 2 Doors are becoming very popular, and for good reason. Do you need a large vestibule? Or just sleeping arrrangement?

Big A products are nice (we have a Seedhouse SL2)... but Marmot Products are good too, and sometimes cheaper.

If you want bombproof, go for a 4 season single wall tent. If summer camping, and you like the airy feeling of the BA stuff, then check out REI Half Dome or Qtr Dome.

Also check MSR Mutha Hubba... My opinion, they are excellent

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    If weight is not an issue, then this is the best bang for the buck out there. Cabelas Deluxe XPG, they are like 9 pounds of the most waterproof tent available. They come pre sealed, the Boy Scout Troop I used to run had 3 of them for when weight was not a concern. There is lots of mesh to keep condensation down when it gets colder. And they are really waterproof, with the rain fly doing about all the way to the ground, this allows for good ventilation, and you don't have to worry about even the strongest storms getting rain past the fly. And there is plenty of room in the vestibules to store gear or lay your shoes out.

And since it's a cabelas product there is a no questions asked return policy on it for a year. And in a year you should be able to give it a good testing.

Cabela's: Cabela's Deluxe XPG™ Tent

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Is that the Outfitter or just the Timberline? I have been looking at the Timberline Outfitter 4 thru Campmor.

It's the Timberline 4 XT - has door front and back, and rainfly has a vestibule built on it. Not sure they make that one anymore as I have had this one for about 10-12 years. I have camped with it in snow, ice, sleet, rain, sun, wind, you name it. We camped in the Clark State Forest in Dec of 1996, through a 10 inch snowfall and sub zero temperatures using the plain old Timberline 4 model.

The original outfitter, if memory serves me, supposedly sleeps 6, has front and back door, and rain fly but no vestibule or annex. Good tents, not meant for backpacking as they are somewhat heavy.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Those Eureka Timberlines are top notch tents too, really light as well. I have backpacked with the 2 person one lots when I was a boy scout. My best friend still does backpacking with it.

Sparky481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Anderson
    I have been Boy Scout Leader for over 25 years and used several kinds of tents. The key to using cloth floored tents is plastic under tent ( not sticking out beyond edge) of tent to protect floor and Plastic on inside to keep contents dry.

I spent a week in Minn. on Basswood lake Late June rained every day all day and nights. Used a Tetragon 10 by 10 stayed dry and warm two people with cots lots of room. Withstood 25 to 30 mph winds. :)

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Big Agnes makes some nice tents; though its not what they are known for. I have seen them and they look really nice. I do not own one though. All of my tents are Mountain Hardware and I couldn't be happier. You say weight isn't an option but look at some heavier tents and think of carrying that pig around.

What temp you camping down to?

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Camping down to low-40s usually in this tent. Using it as the camp ten t when we head to Deals Gap in Early April and Mid Oct. Literally will be carrying it 10ft from the truck/trailer to where we set it up. I had a nice coleman tent that lasted about 8 years before it finally let loose at the zipper. Didnt pay much for it but always took car of it so all told I' was happy. Ordered the Big Agnes and went ahead with the matching ground cloth just so it would fit a bit better than my Haror Freight tarp. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
    Wanted something good for general 3 person (wife and the kid) camping. I have my heavy canvas tent for winter, plus my hammock and my snugpak for hiking. Just wanted good quality well built that would last. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks

Top Bottom