• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    May 2, 2010
    OK, I was laid up last week. While sitting around, I was wanting to hone my shooting skills. I cannot do that at home. Does anyone find any value to practicing with either airsoft or a pellet gun in their basement? If so, I know I have no experience with airsoft, but I think there is quite a bit of difference in them. Any recommendations? Mainly, it would have to be precise at 20 feet.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If it's a crappy rainy day or after dark, sometimes me and the fam will have "match shoots" in the living room. Trigger time is trigger time (muscle memory and all that jazz). Even most of the cheaper spingers (like what I have) are accurate to the distance you're mentioning.

Get yourself a BB trap, or you'll find them ALL OVER.

I had the spousal unit frame me up a trap shaped like a bird house (because I have birdhouses decorating certain areas, and when it's not being used as a BB trap, it's not "out of place").

Frame.jpg

Rawtrap.jpg

Then I base-coat painted it and girlied it up a bit with stencils;

Primed.jpg

JetGirlsTools.jpg

The solid back side is painted with a design...so I turn it around backwards when it's not in use. The target side is actually the front (it's an open cube, so you just tack a target on the corners;

ReadytoShoot.jpg

closer.jpg

When it's not in use;

waitingfornexttime.jpg

Here's what we shoot with;

AirSoft013.jpg

Oct2008005.jpg

IndianaGTI

Expert
    May 2, 2010
    Wow, great idea. I have a 5 year old who is already too interested in guns so I will be relegated to the garage, but that is a great bullet trap.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    You can pretty much buy a replica of your hand gun in an airsoft model. I bought an exact replica of my m&p9 and practiced drawing from my crossbreed and firing all winter and it worked great. There are cheap airsoft guns and then there are some really nice ones.

fisherg

Plinker
    Oct 27, 2011
    Osceola
    the other side of airsoft is the combat simulation that it can offer. Much like paintball but a little more realistic. My sons and I switched from long time paintball players to airsofters. Have had a lot of great times playing.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Nov 25, 2008
    I remember back when cheaperthandirt used to include a spring loaded 1911 airsoft with orders. My buddy and I would shoot it all around the apartment and those things really have some power. The spring type are basically the equivalent of a single shot or bolt action where you'll have some work to do after each shot. A different friend of mine had a clear beretta 92 style airsoft that was battery powered and it was really powerful and semi auto. For a no more than they cost you actually get quite a bit for the money. If I could find one like my buddy had then I'd consider buying one. They make a paintball for them also.

fisherg

Plinker
    Oct 27, 2011
    Osceola
    i would advise against shooting the paintball pellet if you have a higher quality gun. The better the gun the tighter the tolerances on the barrel. the paintball bb is not round enough and can break in the gun which make a real mess.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Paintball pellets don't work. They gum up the barrels, mechanisms, and aren't round (so they fly crazy). There's a price point threshold that you can cross, where you might as well just buy a "real steel" firearm. However, they work great for younger shooters and do have some of the same characteristics. Here are some links:
    Airsoft GI
    Airsplat
    Airsoft Atlanta

45fan

Master
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    if you can even get the paintball pellets to break at all. I bough some for my son once, thought they would be neat. Not so much, but he still loves the airsoft guns. My wife used an airsoft replica of her PK380 when she first started shooting, and it was a great teaching aid while reducing the risk of serious injury. Even if they dont help with your shooting, they are still a great way to pass a rainy sunday afternoon in the house.

fisherg

Plinker
    Oct 27, 2011
    Osceola
    yes, you can easily spend 2-300 on an airsoft gun. I own several higher end guns (all steel) and they sure are a lot of fun. I wouldn't recommend shooting them IN the house... did that once and the Mrs. wasn't too pleased!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I had the same thought: Setting up a nice little airsoft range. Maybe rifle targets out by the garden, and handgun pellet trap against the garage. Tons of fun, and a little practice can't hurt.

Problem is, I can't find an airsoft version of my XD. I guess Springfield won't license them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Airsoft is a great training aid, if you cant be accurate with an airsoft pistol you wont be accurate with a firearm.
    Like Jet Girl said, trigger time is trigger time, and you can work your sight picture, sight alignment and everything else.Great to teach new shooters too.
    You can even practice force on force scenarios and shoot at your training partner.
    Be sure to wear eye protection if you do that, and obviously make sure you are using a airsoft replica and not your actual firearm that looks just like it.
    Some airsoft guns can be quite powerful, I shot through aluminium cans, and destroy some glass in the kitchen "by accident".

Even the simple spring operated ones, that are not semi-auto, can be lots of fun to shoot inside the house, or outside, but in this case the wind can be a real problem.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    sigma_stripped.jpg

This is one of the models I have, it's a $200 semi-auto gaz operated model.
    Like you can see it looks very much like the real S&W Sigma once you field strip it.
    This can punch holes in dry walls so I dont really use it inside, I also wouldn't shoot someone with it ... unless they deserve it, I have been shot in the butt with it and it hurts.

canamscott

Marksman
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Using airsoft for practice is a great idea. They are fun, you do not need permission to buy them, they are inexpensive to operate.

I have modified tactical shotguns to resemble sporting arms and use them to train young people in hunting scenarios. They get to demonstrate safe handling and shoot for points at 3-D archery targets.
    airsoft-tactical-shotgun-modified-for-hunting.jpg
    reassemble.jpg

My favorites are a spring operated 1911, and a bolt action "sniper" with a scope. I also have a revolver that does not shoot worth a hoot, but works like a real one and is useful for teaching.

tbone1951

Plinker
    Nov 18, 2008
    Airsoft

I have thought about getting one to help train my Grandson on the safe handling of firearms.
    Maybe to chase off the damn dog that keeps pooing in my yard too.

Terry

Top Bottom