• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    ... Our founding fathers did often believe in a moral code, but they were universal principles and not specifically Christian principles. The idea that we need to get back to the original constitution, and by doing so embrace Christianity is extremely flawed.
    ... That's why I believe what you espouse IS revisionist history.
    No doubt the "Judeo - Christian" principles influenced the Founders. To say that this is a "Christian Nation" however is pushing it. Which type of Christian? A substantial number of Colonial Americans came here because they persecuted BY Christians in Europe. Nine of the 13 original colonies had official religions with taxing authority. The New England Puritans outlawed Christmas. It was in this context that the 1st Amendment was written.

What's happened recently is rather than give different religions equal billing, government entities have chosen to just avoid all religions. Many have embraced the first clause, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" at the expense of the second "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

For those who would like to see the "Christian Republic of America" take a close look at the "Islamic Republic of XYZ."

Have we hijacked this thread? Not really. This discussion on religion is precisely why it doesn't belong in the TEA Party agenda. It's diverted the focus from taxes and spending.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No doubt the "Judeo - Christian" principles influenced the Founders. To say that this is a "Christian Nation" however is pushing it. Which type of Christian? A substantial number of Colonial Americans came here because they persecuted BY Christians in Europe. Nine of the 13 original colonies had official religions with taxing authority. The New England Puritans outlawed Christmas. It was in this context that the 1st Amendment was written.

What's happened recently is rather than give different religions equal billing, government entities have chosen to just avoid all religions. Many have embraced the first clause, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" at the expense of the second "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

For those who would like to see the "Christian Republic of America" take a close look at the "Islamic Republic of XYZ."

Have we hijacked this thread? Not really. This discussion on religion is precisely why it doesn't belong in the TEA Party agenda. It's diverted the focus from taxes and spending.

BRAVO good sir!! Bravo :yesway::rockwoot:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    All these absolutes.. You must think my way or you are a liar, or simply unable to disagree. In debate this is called ad hominem. There are many facets of this subject but to say that history validates McCarthy is certainly debatable and please stop questioning my integrity and attacking my character as you have in other posts. I respect your opinion even if I think you are wrong and I will not call you dishonest or a liar for stating your opinion. So please return the same level of respect to me.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Release of Russian KGB files confirmed that McCarthy was correct. Joe didn't call you a liar, he merely said you are mistaken. Sounds like a case of projection by you.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Release of Russian KGB files confirmed that McCarthy was correct. Joe didn't call you a liar, he merely said you are mistaken. Sounds like a case of projection by you.

Nope I am not projecting. This is what he said to me in another thread, and when I posted and proved I was not a liar he never responded. I just get tired of him comparing disagreements with less-then-honest people.

Originally Posted by Joe Williams
    Matthew, you lied about what he said. He wished death on nobody. You are simply lacking in morals, honor, and character, and fabricated such a statement.

Thanks,
    Matthew

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree also that the evidence is pretty overwhelming that McCarthy was correct.

Correct in what way? Yes we all know that communists were slowly infiltrating and attempting to change public opinion etc (and to some degree it worked). His allegation and beliefs were correct but his application was all wrong. I disagree very strongly in his approach and methodology. Firstly as much as I hate to admit it you are allowed to feel the way you want to feel. IF you want to be a communist GO FOR IT. You won't have many friends, and you won't be a success. At the time it was important to point out what was going on but it went to far. Was he right? Yes as far as the facts. Was he wrong? Yes, he was wrong in his approach, and his methodology. Does one excuse the other... In my opinion no.

Thanks,
    Matthew

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Correct in what way? Yes we all know that communists were slowly infiltrating and attempting to change public opinion etc (and to some degree it worked). His allegation and beliefs were correct but his application was all wrong. I disagree very strongly in his approach and methodology. Firstly as much as I hate to admit it you are allowed to feel the way you want to feel. IF you want to be a communist GO FOR IT. You won't have many friends, and you won't be a success. At the time it was important to point out what was going on but it went to far. Was he right? Yes as far as the facts. Was he wrong? Yes, he was wrong in his approach, and his methodology. Does one excuse the other... In my opinion no.

Thanks,
    Matthew

How was he wrong in his approach and methodology?

Anyone has the right to be a communist. It's just that if you're actively working against the interests of your country, and you're being directed by a foreign power to which you owe ideological allegience that it becomes a problem.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How was he wrong in his approach and methodology?

Anyone has the right to be a communist. It's just that if you're actively working against the interests of your country, and you're being directed by a foreign power to which you owe ideological allegience that it becomes a problem.
    Isn't this pretty much any time a global environmental summit is held, at any G8 meeting , or any day in the UN????:n00b::xmad:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Nope I am not projecting. This is what he said to me in another thread, and when I posted and proved I was not a liar he never responded. I just get tired of him comparing disagreements with less-then-honest people.

Originally Posted by Joe Williams
    Matthew, you lied about what he said. He wished death on nobody. You are simply lacking in morals, honor, and character, and fabricated such a statement.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Well, you should have told the truth.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hello,

A simple read into the other thread will show that I didn't... truly silly. Secondly an absolute statement like you made should go beyond opinion and more into fact not perception. You "think" but you don't know.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Do I think that the Founders were going for a theocracy? No, I think they were more interested in avoiding the pitfalls of the C of E.

The truth is that if you don't agree with certain people, then you are bad, and wrong, and a liar. I wish I had the market cornered on absolute truth. Oh well, I guess I'm just a brainwashed, leftist, pinko, commie, liar. I probably smell bad too...must be all the borscht.

Gosh, I just keep coming out here and getting my feelings hurt by all of you mean chaps...

Last edited:

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Do I think that the Founders were going for a theocracy? No, I think they were more interested in avoiding the pitfalls of the C of E.

The truth is that if you don't agree with certain people, then you are bad, and wrong, and a liar. I wish I had the market cornered on absolute truth. Oh well, I guess I'm just a brainwashed, leftist, pinko, commie, liar. I probably smell bad too...must be all the borscht.

Gosh, I just keep coming out here and getting my feelings hurt by all of you mean chaps...

LOL and well if you are a leftist, pinko, commie, and a liar at least you are funny. However most people are not the extreme they are some place in the middle leaning one way or the other. Just means you think for yourself and even if you don't agree with what I have to say… well I am glad you are saying it!

Thanks,
    Matthew

Top Bottom